Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eli Manning, encouraged by new Giants offense, believes he still has prime years left

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eli Manning, encouraged by new Giants offense, believes he still has prime years left

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...611-story.html

Excerpt: "Eli Manning doesn’t agree the Giants wasted his prime partially because, even at age 37, he believes he’s still in it.

“I still think I have some peak years left,” a confident Manning said at the Guiding Eyes for the Blind annual Golf Classic at Mount Kisco (N.Y.) Country Club. “So we can make it right.”

Manning’s ex-teammate Shaun O’Hara had said Saturday at the Landon Collins Celebrity Softball game that the Giants “wasted the last few years of Eli’s career. They wasted his prime … it’s been hard to watch.” Justin Tuck, another prominent former teammate, agreed with O’Hara.

Manning was appreciative of the support but took the high road.

“No, I don’t look at it that way,” the franchise quarterback said. “I appreciate those guys saying it, they’re teammates and I obviously won championships with both of them, so I think those guys are always loyal. But that’s not the way I look at it … I don’t look at it that way. I appreciate everything the Giants have done, and I’m excited about being there this year and taking advantage of this year.”

Manning’s belief in himself, though, is only mirroring the near-universal support he is receiving from management and the fan base despite his poor play last season that showed signs of decline in his game. The love for Manning was on full display at last week’s Town Hall at the Beacon Theatre, when Manning received the only standing ovation of the entire night from a fan base fatigued by a 3-13 season but still wearing their No. 10 jerseys proudly.

“I think there’s some excitement for this year, which is good,” Manning said of his reaction to that standing ovation. “Obviously we’ve had some changes and new players and draft picks and free agent (pickups). I think hopefully guys remember two years ago, ‘Hey, we won 11 games.’ Last year obviously we went through a tough streak, but hey, that’s football, it can change very quickly from year-to-year from good to bad or bad to good. It’s good to see the fans are excited, and I’m excited to be back and want to give them something to keep cheering for.”

Manning made clear he is enjoying coach Pat Shurmur’s new offense, too. He stressed the “common sense,” simplicity and freedom of Shurmur’s offense and coaching style that are aiding a smooth transition.

“I feel good with the offense. I really do,” Manning said. “It makes sense. I can visualize it right when the coach starts calling it. And kind of from the get-go, for whatever reason — I don’t know if it’s having been through two offenses or … it just has kind of common sense to it. So I’m enjoying it. I’m learning from it. I’ve enjoyed (offensive coordinator/QB) Coach (Mike) Shula and Coach Shurmur and picking their brains on certain calls and plays, and it’s been exciting and I think it’s going well.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Well he certainly isn't going to say " the new offense stinks and by the way I'm past my prime".

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
      Well he certainly isn't going to say " the new offense stinks and by the way I'm past my prime".

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
        I thought he said that last year?
        http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I thought he said that last year?
          Remember how "great" Eli looked last camp in 2017? Remember how his arm never looked better?

As Mike Tyson said...."everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
          Eli always looks great when he can't be hit. Once they can hit him?.......Maybe not so much anymore.
          Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Remember how "great" Eli looked last camp in 2017? Remember how his arm never looked better?

Eli always looks great when he can't be hit. Once they can hit him?.......Maybe not so much anymore.
            http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

I don't care what your position on Eli...THAT is embarrassing.

Comment

If you had to sum up the past 2 years of his career, that would be the picture worth a thousand words. I dont care if he had a 20 foot high steel wall in front of him, it was pathetic on his part, and there were lots of similar incidents like it.
                The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Let's see how he reacts with a line that he trusts, and some semblance of a running game. Perhaps the Eli man of Steel that we saw in 2011 playoffs will be back, as opposed to the shell shocked version we saw last year. Confidence can be a really good thing.

Comment

I don't care what your position on Eli...THAT is embarrassing.
                    Do you see any receivers there? What's he supposed to do? Get called for intentional grounding? Try to run away from a collapsed pocket with guys coming from both directions or lower his head and ram into that 330lb DT for a 2 yard loss?.

Thats like saying that every QB that throws the ball away because with the pocket collapsing and no one is open is embarrassing.

Brady threw the ball away at no one while in the endzone because tuck was closing in on him.
                    Last edited by DarkSaint; 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post

Do you see any receivers there? What's he supposed to do? Get called for intentional grounding? Try run away from a collapsed pocket with guys coming from both directions or lower his head and ram into that 330lb DT for a 2 yard loss?.

Thats like saying that every QB that throws the ball away because with the pocket collapsing and no one is open is embarrassing.

Brady threw the ball away at no one while in the endzone because tuck was closing in on him.
                      I agree with this.

There have definitely been some WTF moments where Eli has gone down and/or thrown the ball away when there didn't seem to be heavy pressure, but this wasn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

I agree with this.

There have definitely been some WTF moments where Eli has gone down and/or thrown the ball away when there didn't seem to be heavy pressure, but this wasn't one of them.
                        Isn't flowers 6'5 330lbs? Both those dallas linemen looked bigger and more powerful than him.

Comment

Do you see any receivers there? What's he supposed to do? Get called for intentional grounding? Try to run away from a collapsed pocket with guys coming from both directions or lower his head and ram into that 330lb DT for a 2 yard loss?.

I like it when guys don't absolutely quit on a play. try to get away and then throw it away. Get outside the pocket then throw it to the sidelines. And if that was the only time he did this it would be one thing. He did it several times.

And if you don't think he's going to see a huge pass rush week 1 vs. Jax you are crazy. Nate Solder or not. I'm sure Will Hernandez never saw anyone like Calais Campbell at UTEP.

Comment

Isn't flowers 6'5 330lbs? Both those dallas linemen looked bigger and more powerful than him.
                            What Dallas linemen?

Comment

He was already outside the tackle box when he started falling down. Look at where the center is and Flowers is. There's no way the right tackle was further than the right hashmark at the beginning of the play.

Comment

Working...
                              X