Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eli Manning, encouraged by new Giants offense, believes he still has prime years left

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

It happens with our pass rush.
    When the FO doesn't address the problems the coaches must work with what they have.

Comment

Originally posted by G1.. View Post

When the FO doesn't address the problems the coaches must work with what they have.
      Really? JPP, Olivier Vernon?

But I guess you're right. Spags could create a great pass rush when he had Strahan, Tuck and Osi. I guess all he needs are three HOF or near HOF pass rushers.
      Seems easy.
      Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

In order for a WR to get down the field for a long pass play or '' the bomb", he needs more than 2 - 2.5 seconds to get over the top of the D, no WR, don't care if they can run the 40 in 4.2, is gonna get open for a deep pass in under 3 seconds. In order to complete that play, the QB is gonna need good pass pro & a pocket The QB has to have a clean pocket to observe if the #1 option is open for the deep pass, if not he has to go to option #2. I have seen Brady, big Ben, Dak, AR & countless other QBs have a clean pocket where they had enough time to text their GF/baby momma & their agent & still find the open receiver deep down field. Eli is usually kissing the ground at the 2.5 sec mark.

You also need a run game to keep the D honest. Something Eli has lacked for over 5 yrs.
        Not sure if you know this, but...there are quarterbacks in the league that can step out of the pocket and make that long throw. I know it seems fantastical, but it's true!

Comment

Really? JPP, Olivier Vernon?

But I guess you're right. Spags could create a great pass rush when he had Strahan, Tuck and Osi. I guess all he needs are three HOF or near HOF pass rushers.
          Seems easy.
          I respect you way more than to accept a BS response like that from you! JPP was great ....was ,Vernon while good didn't deserve the money he got and even if he did you need LBers to help rush, Spags did fine with what he had,did ok when we went 11-5.

Comment

I respect you way more than to accept a BS response like that from you! JPP was great ....was ,Vernon while good didn't deserve the money he got and even if he did you need LBers to help rush, Spags did fine with what he had,did ok when we went 11-5.
            I actually like Vernon but he's not so much of a pass rusher. Yet he put him vs. the LT. I have no idea why. JPP should have been there.

Bottom line. Spags was crappy at creating a pass rush through scheme. Back in the day, with the old rules he could. But the second time around he failed miserably.
            First in NO, where he coached the worst defense in NFL history and was immediately fired. Then here where he coached the worst defense in Giants history in 2015 and in 2017, he coached the 31st ranked defense in the league. We were actually last until week 17 when Washington mailed in that game.

Yet many folks wanted us to retain him yet again...as if results mean nothing.

Comment

I actually like Vernon but he's not so much of a pass rusher. Yet he put him vs. the LT. I have no idea why. JPP should have been there.

Bottom line. Spags was crappy at creating a pass rush through scheme. Back in the day, with the old rules he could. But the second time around he failed miserably.
              First in NO, where he coached the worst defense in NFL history and was immediately fired. Then here where he coached the worst defense in Giants history in 2015 and in 2017, he coached the 31st ranked defense in the league. We were actually last until week 17 when Washington mailed in that game.

Yet many folks wanted us to retain him yet again...as if results mean nothing.
              Oh come on skippy that was then this is now, be happy!

Comment

Oh come on skippy that was then this is now, be happy!
                I would say "that was then and this is now" pretty much sums up my view of Steve Spagnuolo.

2007....That was then.
                2014-17...This is now.

What applied in 2007 does not necessarily apply in today's league, especially when you don't have three all time great pass rushers on the same D line like he did in 2007.

And I like being called skippy because it makes me seem young.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I thought he said that last year?
                  It does have a familiar ring to it.

Comment

Remember how "great" Eli looked last camp in 2017? Remember how his arm never looked better?

As Mike Tyson said...."everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
                    Eli always looks great when he can't be hit. Once they can hit him?.......Maybe not so much anymore.
                    That comment is on target.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Tension View Post

You're a riot!! Thanks...

The league is full of bad offensive lines which is well documented...

That is why mobile QBs are becoming the norm....
                      And that's why the "mobile" QBs usually end up on IR more often than not. Funny how Eli has never been on IR let alone miss a single game in 14yrs due to injury.

Comment

I would say "that was then and this is now" pretty much sums up my view of Steve Spagnuolo.

2007....That was then.
                        2014-17...This is now.

What applied in 2007 does not necessarily apply in today's league, especially when you don't have three all time great pass rushers on the same D line like he did in 2007.

LOL..............and spry!

Comment

2007....That was then.
                          2014-17...This is now.

Yeah and we couldn't run the ball and Flowers was too busy shoving his guy into Eli and mcdoofus didn't know how to counter the cover 2 because he couldnt think of any other formation besides the 3 wr sets.

Comment

LOL..............and spry!
                            And well preserved....

Comment

Eli threw for 3,468 yds 19 TDs & 13 Ints in what everyone wants to say was an "awful" yr for him. Of course they all fail to include that he had no run game, a severely injury riddled & depleted WR corps of practice squad players & a rookie TE, a Receiving corps that led the NFL in dropped passes with 29, Engram alone had 11.

Now to put Eli's "worst" season stat wise in yrs in perspective, one of HOF QB Terry Bradshaw's best seasons ever stat wise was 1979 when in 16 games, 1 more than Eli, Bradshaw threw for a career high 3,724yds 26TDs & 25 Ints

Today, that would be considered an 'awful" season by a QB.

HOFer Ken "the Snake" Stabler career high for passing yds was also 1979 when he threw for 3,615yds in 16 games. His career high for TDs in a season was 27 in 76'. Stabler once threw 30 Ints in 78'

And this was in seasons where both the Steelers & Raiders were stacked with future HOF pro bowl players on both sides of the ball, tell me, when has Eli had those caliber of players on both sides of the ball these past 5 yrs? OBJ on O, who else?

The mere fact that he was able to even throw for 3,400+yds & 19 TDs in 15 games with the severe lack of talent that he had on the O side of the ball last yr should tell you of what he will be capable of doing this yr with a vastly improved OL/Run game & healthy WR corps. How anyone truly thinks he's gonna have a bad yr this yr with some of the best talent he's ever had in his career is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post
                                Eli threw for 3,468 yds 19 TDs & 13 Ints in what everyone wants to say was an "awful" yr for him. Of course they all fail to include that he had no run game, a severely injury riddled & depleted WR corps of practice squad players & a rookie TE, a Receiving corps that led the NFL in dropped passes with 29, Engram alone had 11.

Now to put Eli's "worst" season stat wise in yrs in perspective, one of HOF QB Terry Bradshaw's best seasons ever stat wise was 1979 when in 16 games, 1 more than Eli, Bradshaw threw for a career high 3,724yds 26TDs & 25 Ints

Today, that would be considered an 'awful" season by a QB.

HOFer Ken "the Snake" Stabler career high for passing yds was also 1979 when he threw for 3,615yds in 16 games. His career high for TDs in a season was 27 in 76'. Stabler once threw 30 Ints in 78'

And this was in seasons where both the Steelers & Raiders were stacked with future HOF pro bowl players on both sides of the ball, tell me, when has Eli had those caliber of players on both sides of the ball these past 5 yrs? OBJ on O, who else?

The mere fact that he was able to even throw for 3,400+yds & 19 TDs in 15 games with the severe lack of talent that he had on the O side of the ball last yr should tell you of what he will be capable of doing this yr with a vastly improved OL/Run game & healthy WR corps. How anyone truly thinks he's gonna have a bad yr this yr with some of the best talent he's ever had in his career is beyond me.
                                I can't speak for anyone but myself. I don't care what his stats were. I really don't.
                                My view of the play of any of our players is based on what I saw on the field, not what stats a guy got.
                                I saw a guy who rushed his throws, who looked to go down instead of trying to make plays...or at escape and throw it away.
                                I saw a guy who threw the ball consistently at the feet of receivers and/or behind guys constantly in the middle of the field. and often with time to throw. I also saw a guy who did nothing well in crunch time.

I know the personnel was thin. I'm just going by what I saw Eli do on the field. I didn't see good play at the QB position. I saw a guy who went down with the ship.
                                Last edited by Morehead State; 06-15-2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X