Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Takeaways from Giants minicamp Day 1 | Odell Beckham's first practice since being medically cleared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takeaways from Giants minicamp Day 1 | Odell Beckham's first practice since being medically cleared

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. returned to practice for the first day of Giants mandatory minicamp on Tuesday after skipping the final two OTA practices of the offseason, but that wasn't even the biggest news of the day about the wide receiver.

"He's cleared to practice," Giants head coach Pat Shurmur said following Tuesday's workout at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center. "He was cleared to be out there, practicing. If you want to count the reps he did, you can do that, but he's cleared to practice."

Shurmur's revelation was the first time that the team announced publicly that Beckham was cleared to practice since he broke his ankle in Week 4 last season.

During the offseason workouts, minicamp and OTA practices, Beckham participated on a limited basis. So, what exactly was he cleared to do this week, Shurmur was asked.

"He was cleared to do everything," Shurmur said. "I don't think it benefits anyone to play the word game."

With Beckham entering the final year of his rookie contract, Beckham's medical clearance could create a murky situation if a new deal isn't agreed upon by the time training camp begins and Beckham opts to hold out. But, for one day in June, the Giants are encouraged to have Beckham on the field.

Here are takeaways from Tuesday's practice:

Odell Beckham increases workload ... Sort of

On Tuesday, Beckham took part in individual warmup drills at the start of practice, which he had been doing during the practice sessions he attended during OTAs, but he also ramped up his activity.

For the first time this offseason, Beckham's time working with the wide receivers extended to running and catching routes against air from the quarterbacks.

Once practice ended, Beckham stayed on the field with the other wide receivers to field punts.

So far, it seems, Beckham has made great strides in his rehab.

"Odell had me watch him during routes [without a defender]," wide receiver Sterling Shepard said during practice. "I swear that I couldn't tell he was ever hurt."

Whether Beckham eventually participates in full-team drills this week remains to be seen, but that would appear to be unlikely, given the uncertainty surrounding his contract situation. " Read more WATCH VIDEO CLIPS
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Odell needs to get paid. I have 0 issue if he decides to hold out.....way too much risk on his part, for a proven player of his caliber. Pay him.
    NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
    Garrett Bolles - OT
    David Njoku - TE
    Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Schurmur handled the media well with the nonsense and repetitive ODB questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Piddy283 View Post
        Odell needs to get paid. I have 0 issue if he decides to hold out.....way too much risk on his part, for a proven player of his caliber. Pay him.
        We would be crazy to pay him now. He needs to show that he is still the same player after that injury. We saw a very similar injury ruin Hakeem Nicks' career.

Odell is great because of his explosiveness, cutting ability and general athleticism. If that injury has had any effect on that, which is very possible, we need to know it.
        He has to play well into the season and show he's the same guy before we make that kind of commitment.
        Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Working...
        X