Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Shurmur: “They’ve come a long way” as Giants progress in mini-camp

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/6/1...k-flowers-news

Excerpt: "Tuesday marked the opening of the New York Giants mandatory mini-camp. Mini-camp is the next step in the off-season program as the team inches closer to training camp, pre-season, and ultimately the 2018 regular season.

The players still have yet to don their pads — that won’t happen until training camp — and practices are still non-contact. In fact, the only real difference between mini-camp and the ten OTAs held throughout the spring is that players are required to attend mini-camp. So, obviously, there is only so much to be gleaned from these practices. However, there is growth to be seen over the off-season program, and that is what head coach Pat Shurmur is looking for.

“I think what is important is it’s about the ball,” he said, “so you don’t want the ball on the ground. It is about making sure that you go through the fundamentals of your position, and I can tell that each time we go out there, both sides of the ball are playing faster.”

Shurmur noted that the team is making progress, that in addition to the team playing faster, that they are making — and more importantly — learning from mistakes.

“We’ve come a long way,” he said. “There are hours and hours of work in the weight room, in the meeting room and on the practice field, and when you watch a practice, I think it’s important that they are playing fast with no anxiety, and when a mistake occurs, which happens in practice – now Jacksonville [Jaguars, the Giants’ season opener] didn’t see that mistake, so as long as we don’t repeat it, that’s what practice is for. So that’s what you go through. They’ve got to come out here and do it and those mistakes that were made and I noticed a handful and then there are some other things that you didn’t quite notice and you will see on tape, you get them corrected and you move on. So that’s why you have to practice a team game.”

The Giants’ new head coach has seemingly emphasized the “team” aspect throughout Organized Team Activities, and now mini-camp. These practices are important, he says, for building team chemistry and cohesion.

Shurmur said, “This is the ultimate team game, so when we’re all here as a team competing and getting better, it is what you’re looking for. When I have team meetings, I talk about team things. When we’re out here as a team, we work on team things.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

………..tried to send you a PM but your mail box is stuffed with letters from well wishers.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
      ………..tried to send you a PM but your mail box is stuffed with letters from well wishers.
      Give it a try
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Working...
      X