No announcement yet.

Brandon Myers, Louis Murphy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are people going to realize we dont use TEs the same way other teams do. We are better off with blocking TEs. I see 50 catches, 700 yards MAX for Myers this season.
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
      That was my concern when he was signed, he just doesn't fit the mould of a Giants tight end. It looks like they're going to have to make him fit.
      Boss was slow as molasses and couldn't block to save his life and Eli made him look like a stud while he was here. I have full faith Eli will get good production out of Meyers.
      Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

It also helps that they have the best TE coach in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
          When are people going to realize we dont use TEs the same way other teams do. We are better off with blocking TEs. I see 50 catches, 700 yards MAX for Myers this season.
          If Beckum could have stayed healthy he would have enjoyed good production with us. When he was healthy he was dangerous. I think Meyers can play a similar role for us.
          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
            Boss was slow as molasses and couldn't block to save his life
            Boss was a good run blocker.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
              Boss was a good run blocker.
              In no way shape or form.

Comment

murphy has looked good and has performed in the preseason game as well as practice.

Myers on the other hand, has supposedly done well at practice but has been invisible during live action when hes not running the wrong route...

im actually worried about our TE spot. Myers has issues blocking, and doesnt appear to be this mismatch in the pass game we were hoping for.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                  yep....
                  like make a few catches. That would be enough for me. havent seen him do **** yet. I am not one to be impatient but I havent seen anything from this 80 catch last season player. Well we did see one miscomminucation with Eli.....so there's that...lol
                  dude, its been two preseason games...

Impatient would be a compliment for your stance
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

Did Bennett do anything in the preseason last year? I seriously don't remember. I know he started the season off fast.
                    don't remember either, but he def ain't doin anything this preseason either

Comment

murphy is going to really threaten defenses if tey key on nicks/cruz/randle too much. murphys speed demands respect from the opposing D otherwise any play he's in could potentially go for 6...

Comment

Everybody keeps talking about Meyer's blocking. He's not a blocker, he is a pass catching TE. We new that when we signed him.
                        yea I thought so too, but he actually came into the league as a reverse

his pass blocking failures last year were attributed to his injurys. Personally I think his lack of blocking skills have been highly overexaggerated to this point in the preseason

Comment

Originally posted by NYGFan84 View Post
                          I think that is what has everyone upset. He's a pass catching TE that isn't really catching passes. So if he can't block and isn't catching passes he is pretty useless out there.
                          The only position we should be upset with is at LBer...

everything else is just preseason.

Comment

Originally posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
                            yea I thought so too, but he actually came into the league as a reverse

his pass blocking failures last year were attributed to his injurys. Personally I think his lack of blocking skills have been highly overexaggerated to this point in the preseason
                            i remember reading a poster make that claim, and then i checked and it wasnt accurate...ill look again tho. iirc, he was never a blocking TE caliber player...

and, just going off the film on him blocking as a giant, he has looked pretty terrible and lost...

edit- i was wrong. he came from iowa, who def. uses their TE's to block...but i dont see it with Myers?
                            Last edited by giantsfan420; 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Overview
                              Despite signing with Iowa in 2004, Myers' career seemed at a standstill. Not even listed on the depth chart in the spring of 2006, he developed into a reliable red-zone target as a junior, scoring five touchdowns on just 21 receptions for the season. Again listed as a backup entering his senior season, Myers parlayed injuries by others and his own development into earning first-team All-Big Ten accolades. Myers isn't a special athlete, but in tying for the team lead with four receiving touchdowns in 2008, he is viewed by some as an ascending prospect. Others, however, question if his effectiveness was due to defenses stacking the line of scrimmage in an effort to slow running back Shonn Greene.

High School
                              High School honors: Class 2A first-team all-state selection by the Des Moines Register and first-team all-conference selection as a senior...First-team all-conference and all-state player as a junior...Second-team all-conference as a sophomore ...Finished prep career holding nine Prairie City-Monroe records, including receptions in a season (33) and career (82); touchdowns in a game (5), season (19) and career (29); points in a game (30) season (116) and career (186); and rushing touchdowns in a game (5)...Recorded 992 career rushing yards and 1,237 career receiving yards...Averaged 10.6 yards per carry as a senior while rushing for 932 yards and 15 touchdowns...Member of prep basketball team that posted a perfect 27-0 season record during senior year, winning Class 2A state championship...Named to Class 2-A all-state first team by the Des Moines Register...Named captain of all-tournament team at state tournament after averaging 30 points and 14.3 rebounds in three games...Had 31 points and 18 rebounds in double-overtime win in state title contest...Completed prep basketball career with 2,198 points to become 26th player in Iowa prep history to score more than 2,000 career points...Helped team advance to state basketball tournament in four consecutive seasons...High school coach was Todd Jones.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.
                              Analysis
                              Positives: Legitimate NFL build. Stout upper body. Good hand placement and upper body strength to assist in pass protection. Shows some balance and lateral quickness to mirror the defender. At least adequate initial quickness off the snap. Flexible enough to dip under the jam to gain a free release. Shows some burst out of his breaks and to gain separation. Not often given opportunities to catch passes in Iowa's offense, but shows at least adequate hands for the reception. Can make the tough grab in traffic.

Negatives: Lacks the straight-line speed to challenge down the seam. While possessing at least adequate upper body strength, is not explosive. Can get fundamentally lazy when blocking laterally. Stops moving his feet, causing him to remain engaged at the line of scrimmage or in space. Lacks agility in space to make defenders miss. Arrested in December 2007 on a charge of public intoxication and interference with official acts, pled guilty and was fined.
                              *nfl.com scout profile on him...

while he did come from Iowa, and they do have the rep for developing blocking TE's, i cant say that he came into the league as a good blocking TE but i could be off on that.

Comment

I expect Myers will have a good to very good year. with opposing defenses preoccupied with our other receivers Myers could have a field day in some games and situations. i like him as an offensive player....and maybe game breaker in this offense.

as with Myers, Murphy will benefit from the attention given our other 3 receivers. alls he has to do is execute and i think he will in most situations.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X