Jerry Reese absolutely destroyed the Superbowl contender he inherited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Eli was ALL Accorsi.....Ernie wrote up the scouting report on Eli himself. Lord knows what the hell Reese would have done with that 4th pick....considering some of his recent drafts, I'd imagine he might have had traded down and taken Roy Williams or DeAngelo Hall.

I will give credit to Reese for scouting players, but the picks and free agents were still Accorsi's call.

Also, hiring Coughlin was Ernie's decision, and I think he turned this team around, just as he has everywhere he's gone....the guy can coach.

In my opinion, Accorsi was better than Young and Reese.

After further review..........my numbers stand as called.

Without Coughlin & Manning.....0 Super Bowls for Reese.
    Agreed, we can't overlook how significant a coaching job Coughlin did in 07 and 11. Especially 11 sitting down with Tuck and Tuck played his heart out. Manning was incredible.
    Reese has totally **** the bed this year, he was verging on it last year but he totally screwed it this year. Ridiculous draft choices ignoring our blatant needs. Letting Ballard walk cutting Bradshaw and resigning Beatty to a staggering contract. Signing Connor and Aaron Curry (wtf) for linebacker... Curry didn't make it through camp and Connor is no longer wit this team. Its ok though we have about 6 DTs no linebackers and lots of quarterbacks and the worst offensive line in football!
    I would bet my house that if JR was in charge of the draft which EA staked his legacy and traded up big for Eli, Reese would have stood pat and taken an inferior player or found someone who would be out of the league in two seasons.
    Lets not forget the season JR was quite happy to watch his draft choice Dodge quite literally punt our season away. We need a new GM.

Comment

It's never easy maintaining a championship team, but it's up to the GM to be bringing in guys that can come on line when older guys age out or get injured.

That's been Reese's biggest failure....the offensive line being Exhibit A.

And what GM has repeated?

Steelers are the only team in the past 10 years to win twice. And they are 0-4 too

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
        And what GM has repeated?

Steelers are the only team in the past 10 years to win twice. And they are 0-4 too
        Like I said, it's never easy, and all things considered I still believe Reese is a good GM.

But right now, it's an 0-4 team, and really, a team that deserves to be 0-4, and I think the main reason they are 0-4 is because the team simply isn't talented enough. And unfortunately, it's not a case of a team having a weak spot here and there.....the entire offensive line appears to be an issue, and the entire linebacking corps as well. And both of these units have been identified by fans and sportswriters as areas of concern for a very long time.

This preseason, he was asked in an interview what his thoughts on the linebackers were, and his response was "name the starting linebackers in 2007." To me, it came off as a disrespectful remark towards guys like Antonio Pierce, and I wasn't surprised AP came out shortly thereafter with a pointed critique of the 2013 roster.

Regarding the OP's thread title, I don't believe Reese "destroyed" the team......but the team needs maintenance, and that maintenance has been mishandled.

Looking back at this draft, I see a guy who clearly didn't realize just how old, banged up, or just downright lousy this roster had become in spots. I'm sure if he could get a do over, Reese would have made a more aggressive move to keep Bennett, or else found a tight end who could block. He wouldn't have let Blackburn walk over chump change, and instead, allowed a competition between Blackburn and Connor, with the loser becoming a decent reserve. And I would hope 3rd string QB wouldn't have trumped offensive line and linebacker....that was a round in which 13 linebackers and offensive lineman were picked, including guys like Khaseem Greene (Big East Defensive Player of the Year), and the center for Alabama, Barrett Jones (Outland trophy award 2011, 3x national champion, etc., etc).

A team is like a car.....just like a car, the parts get older, and need to be replaced. The driver (Coughlin) is fine.....the engine (Eli) is still in decent shape. But when Reese took over the team, he had good, talented, young team. 7 years later, the Goodyears (Snee, Baas, Diehl) are bald, he's got donuts in the trunk (Brewer, Mosley, Cordle)....but he's shopping around for car speakers (Nassib).
        Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 10-02-2013, 07:40 AM.
        "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Alright.. I'll make it easy. If he were such a mastermind there would be no reason we'd be 0 and 4.. It's seriously as simple as that. Sure, we won 2 sb's and I'm greatful for that, but we're 0-4 and thats what it is.. there is nothing else that matters in football than the present. With that being said, I'm happy we have Reese, as of now bc of his class and the 2 superbowls he helped the team get, but now is the point in time where we will really see his worth in the coming years.
          sigpic

Comment

To be honest. Paysinger has been considerably better than I thought.

LB hasent really stuck out as a major issue.

As for the OL, they had a very good unit last year. The RT was certainly the worst position last year, and he drafted Pugh (along with brewer mccants and Mosley) to find a solution there.

I don't see how it is really Reese's fault that he lost 3 starters to injury and Beatty is not playing nearly as well. There is really no team in the league that has great starters and depth on its OL. Massive void of good OL in the league right now.

Comment

and it really cant be fully put on Reese part of the problem is some of the players, they won 2 sb's maybe the passion is gone, some are old, the coaching never changes, hence why every team we play has us figured out both offensively and defensively.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                To be honest. Paysinger has been considerably better than I thought.

LB hasent really stuck out as a major issue.

As for the OL, they had a very good unit last year. The RT was certainly the worst position last year, and he drafted Pugh (along with brewer mccants and Mosley) to find a solution there.

I don't see how it is really Reese's fault that he lost 3 starters to injury and Beatty is not playing nearly as well. There is really no team in the league that has great starters and depth on its OL. Massive void of good OL in the league right now.
                Rivers (+2.3) is the only linebacker with a positive grade, at least according to PFF. The others have ranged from slightly below average (Paysinger, -1.2), to bad (Williams, -3.3) to "make it stop" (Herzlich, -6.6).

Overall, it's a "C- / D+" group, and a huge reason why this team is near the bottom of the league in run defense despite all the time Reese spent loading up on DT in the draft and free agency. I would also say it's a big reason why the pass rush has been ineffective; these guys just aren't explosive on a blitz.

As far as the line goes, in Reese's defense, few people would have anticipated what we've seen so far from Beatty. But that's why guys are needed in the pipeline, and nobody is there to answer the bell.
                Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM.
                "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

Comment

+1

Bottom line: Accorsi brought in Coughlin and engineered the biggest trade in Giants draft history for one reason: to give this franchise a Coach/QB combination that could win championships. That's exactly what happened....twice.

With all due respect to Reese - and despite slamming him alot, I recognize he's a good GM - there is no way in hell the Giants win 2 Super Bowls without Coughlin & Manning on the team, and they were Ernie's guys.

People can feel free to decide for themselves how much credit Reese should get for 2007 and 2011. In my opinion, he deserves some of the credit for complementing Accorsi's team with a very good 2007 draft and some solid free agents. In 2011, some of his guys again helped the team. But in 2011, the warning signs were already starting to flash with this offensive line, and if not for Eli having an insane season, they would have missed the playoffs entirely.

This team is 0-4 right now, and the main reason is because the offensive line is in a shambles. That line was built by Accorsi, Reese has had 7 years to address it, and the 2013 version is the result.

As far as the linebackers are concerned, it's fair to say years of neglect have taken their toll. This position was a need back in 2010....3 years later, the situation is even worse.
                  I try to defend Reese because I'm not a greedy fan and I understand that you can't win every yr but you're absolutely on target with this post. I think Reese gambled and lost but I still don't think he's the whole blame and even if he is fully at fault, it's only one yr.

Yeah we won Superbowls under Coughlin but this team has been up and down the whole time and was only dominant one year, 2008. I didn't become a fan in 04 so I witnessed a few bad drafts by Accorsi too. We used to constantly get bad grades and that trade for Eli was very un-Giant like. Even picking up Plax and Pierce came to me like a surprise. It's like Ernie knew he was retiring soon so he decided to grow a pair and take some chances before he left.

You gotta admit, it almost looked like a fail for a while there because imo, Tiki, Strahan, Osi, Plax, Toomer and Shockey was carrying this team. Eli showed flashes of greatness but until that run in 07 where he went the entire three road games without turning the ball over, he was an inconsistent, turnover prone QB. Now that the Oline isn't looking so hot, he's reverted back to his old self. The stars gotta line up perfectly for Eli...if you ask me, with the amount of weapons that he has and had in the past, if you build a strong oline that gives you ten seconds to make a pass, anybody including Trent Dilfer can be successful behind it.

Yeah Ernie helped hide Eli's weaknesses...Reese just happened to expose em by not getting the maulers that Eli needs.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnerNYG View Post
                    I try to defend Reese because I'm not a greedy fan and I understand that you can't win every yr but you're absolutely on target with this post. I think Reese gambled and lost but I still don't think he's the whole blame and even if he is fully at fault, it's only one yr.

Yeah we won Superbowls under Coughlin but this team has been up and down the whole time and was only dominant one year, 2008. I didn't become a fan in 04 so I witnessed a few bad drafts by Accorsi too. We used to constantly get bad grades and that trade for Eli was very un-Giant like. Even picking up Plax and Pierce came to me like a surprise. It's like Ernie knew he was retiring soon so he decided to grow a pair and take some chances before he left.

You gotta admit, it almost looked like a fail for a while there because imo, Tiki, Strahan, Osi, Plax, Toomer and Shockey was carrying this team. Eli showed flashes of greatness but until that run in 07 where he went the entire three road games without turning the ball over, he was an inconsistent, turnover prone QB. Now that the Oline isn't looking so hot, he's reverted back to his old self. The stars gotta line up perfectly for Eli...if you ask me, with the amount of weapons that he has and had in the past, if you build a strong oline that gives you ten seconds to make a pass, anybody including Trent Dilfer can be successful behind it.

Yeah Ernie helped hide Eli's weaknesses...Reese just happened to expose em by not getting the maulers that Eli needs.
                    Reese is a good GM who is having a rough year because some older mistakes and unlucky injuries have robbed this team of players that would otherwise be coming online right now to replace aging/injured veterans.

I think Reese deserves a chance to fix this team, so by that logic, the coaching staff should have a chance to work with whomever Reese finds next season in the draft and free agency.

I agree this team needs maulers. In fact, this team needs an identity makeover, similar to the makeover in the latter years of Elway's career.

Elway always carried his team, and it was good enough for them to go to the Super Bowl and get pulverized by better teams. Finally, they rebuilt the team into a run first unit behind Terrell Davis, and two Super Bowls followed.

With a solid running game and defense, Elway was simply devastating......forget the stats, Elways could read the defense, and then exploit it.

Eli could be the same way....in fact, in 2007, it was a case of a great pass rush, solid line, good running, and Eli making smart decisions and clutch throws. In 2011 it was a similar recipe, but Eli had to bail out the running game and the defense alot in the early part of that season. Both the running game and the defense improved in the last weeks of the regular season, and into the playoffs, which enabled Eli to win a second SB MVP.

If people think Eli is going to improve without pass protection or a running game, they are mistaken. Eli's biggest crime might be that he is not as awesome as Aaron Rodgers, I suppose.
                    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Reese destroyed a Super Bowl contender? BHAHAHA oh man when things go badly people lose their critical thinking skills.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue10Eli View Post
                        Look at the guys drafted recently. These are all our draft picks in round 1-4 from 2007-11. You should be getting a starting player more often then not:

Aaron Ross- Not a starting caliber CB, not worthy of a 1st rounder
                        Steve Smith- out of the league
                        Jay Alford- out of the league
                        Zak Deossie- long snapper

Kenny Phillips- bust, probably headed out of the league
                        Terrell Thomas- walking injury, but I do like him and hold hope for the future.
                        Mario Manningham- 3rd WR who has done nothing since leaving the Giants
                        Bryan Kehl- out of the league

Hakeem Nicks- very good player, unfortunately I dont think we will be able to keep him after the season
                        Clint Sintim- bust, out of the league
                        Will Beatty- bust, doubled down on this mistake with a horrible contract
                        Ramses Barden- out of the league
                        Travis Beckum- out of the league
                        Andre Brown- under 500 yards in his entire career, solid 3rd back when healthy.

JPP- Not sold on him. One good season two years ago. We had better options #13 overall (Pouncey or Buluga would have been great).
                        Linval Joseph- good DT
                        Chad Jones- N/A, unrelated issues.
                        Philip Dillard- out of the league

Prince- Looking to be a good pick. Fell into our lap, but a good pick
                        Marvin Austin- bust
                        Jernel Jerrigan- bust
                        James Brewer- certainly not off to a good start

No "hidden gems" from this time period either (outside of Bradshaw in 07). There is nobody drafted in rounds 5 through 7 in those years is even on the team outside of Jacquan Williams.

Its just not good enough. We need to get a new GM in to rebuild the team.
                        Wow ok...

Steve Smith helped us win a superbowl, crucial 3rd down play his rookie year that game.
                        Kenny Phillips helped win 2 superbowls, not a bust, problem with injuries that will shorten his career yes.
                        Aaron Ross stepped up when needs helped win 2 superbowls.
                        TT was a very good player before injuries.
                        Manningham huge part in winning a superbowl.
                        Bryan Kehl is NOT out of the league
                        Deossie probowl long snapper, last time i checked us Giants fans were know exactly how important a good snap is.

I could go on but I don't think your capable of realizing the stupidity of this post

Comment

Originally posted by B-Red22 View Post
                          Wow ok...

Steve Smith helped us win a superbowl, crucial 3rd down play his rookie year that game.
                          Kenny Phillips helped win 2 superbowls, not a bust, problem with injuries that will shorten his career yes.
                          Aaron Ross stepped up when needs helped win 2 superbowls.
                          TT was a very good player before injuries.
                          Manningham huge part in winning a superbowl.
                          Bryan Kehl is NOT out of the league
                          Deossie probowl long snapper, last time i checked us Giants fans were know exactly how important a good snap is.

I could go on but I don't think your capable of realizing the stupidity of this post
                          I don't disagree that Reese has had too many bad picks, but Smith, Phillips, TT, and Manningham should not be on this list. Ross should be. Yes he made some plays, but for a 1st round pick he was a major disappointment.

Comment

Right i agree he has made bad picks there is definatley not any denying that, but more thatn half these guys helped us win superbowls or are currently key players on the current team. This guys list should be severly shortened

Comment

Again, compare JR's history with other GMs. You'll find that he's done very, very well.
                              http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                              http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                              http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Another stupid thread. get a grip people.

Comment

Working...
                                X