Jerry Reese absolutely destroyed the Superbowl contender he inherited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
    That is perhaps the most terrible "summary" of the draft picks I have ever seen.
    +1 Under this mass of manure thread and replies there is someone willing to expose the truth.
    Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
      I don't disagree that Reese has had too many bad picks, but Smith, Phillips, TT, and Manningham should not be on this list. Ross should be. Yes he made some plays, but for a 1st round pick he was a major disappointment.
      Ross is awful. His best year was his first year, and that is never a good thing. How could you even legitimize this thread with a response Moosedrool? I expect better of a PFF guy. Have the guys he listed as busts had career ending injuries. For God sake he said KP was a bust! That alone should get this guy banned from the board.
      Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
        Ross is awful. His best year was his first year, and that is never a good thing. How could you even legitimize this thread with a response Moosedrool? I expect better of a PFF guy. Have the guys he listed as busts had career ending injuries. For God sake he said KP was a bust! That alone should get this guy banned from the board.
        Ross played well in both SB runs. And he's been quite good so far this season.

Comment

No he wasn't that great in the second run. He played good enough, but still below the expectations we had for him when we drafted him. He got torched more than a few times in 2011.

Dude, what games are you looking at? He's been getting smoked this year. I'm preying for C-Web to get back. He's a good 3rd CB.

Comment

I agree.

Seems to me that the biggest knock on Ross is that he was never a shutdown corner. Nevermind the fact that besides Darelle Revis, that sort of CB doesn't exist with today's passing rules.

Ross is usually on his guy, with decent coverage, plays physical, and is durable. He's a guy that will give up some plays, but make some plays.

Frankly, I think he's a terrific #3 out there with Prince and Webster. Most teams would kill to have someone like Ross 3 deep.
            "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

UDFA that they brought in...

Nobody else brought Cruz in.

But you could easily broaden this argument for everything.

Seahawks drafted Russel Wilson in the 3rd round.

Means they didnt think Wilson was worth a 1st or 2nd round pick, means they didnt think he was that good, so its just luck that they have him. Right? Same as Sherman and Chancellor and everyone else they drafted late? Not ability in finding good players in late rounds, just total luck any of them were good.
              How about Brady in the 6th?

Comment

Originally posted by PRGiant View Post
                How about Brady in the 6th?
                Exactly. Belichek can't scout at all, he just gets lucky?

Comment

He got lucky with Brady. Bledsoe never get's cracked. We never see Brady in NE.

Comment

It is only about luck on a pick or two or three. After a while there is a talent to consistently picking Russell Wilsons in the 3rd round when no one else did that.

With our OL, any GM can pick a bad one here and there but when we pick 6 or 8 duds over 5 years in the draft there is something missing in terms of evaluation skills.

Right?
                    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Steve Smith did help win a SB trophy.
                      I believe Alford and KP would have been good if not for injury, can't predict that
                      Beatty was pretty good before this year, certainly not a franchise player though
                      Hoping JPP can get healthy and get back his motor, he is playing not to get hurt IMO
                      Pretty much agree with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                        And Reese said he had Wilson rated higher than the muscle hamster.....more proof to his awful draft evaluation skills. A RB who can't pass block and fumbles in the 1st round...BRILLIANT.
                        I was amazed when the team drafted Wilson in round 1, it was well known in college that he had a fumble problem and was an inexperienced blocker, I hope this all works out but its looking like we could have gotten a RB with Wilsons talent in round 4

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                          It is only about luck on a pick or two or three. After a while there is a talent to consistently picking Russell Wilsons in the 3rd round when no one else did that.

With our OL, any GM can pick a bad one here and there but when we pick 6 or 8 duds over 5 years in the draft there is something missing in terms of evaluation skills.

Right?
                          Im not sure I follow this?

Comment

Im not sure I follow this?
                            I knew I'd draw you out with this.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                              I knew I'd draw you out with this.
                              No. I mean I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Comment

No. I mean I don't understand what you are trying to say.
                                lol, I'm not sure I understood your posts on the current page either but I had a feeling you'd be engaged on this topic.

Here is what I think. The draft is a crap shoot no doubt. If we want to single out any one pick or two or three to crucify a GM that is just not fair.

However, over a period of time certain GMs do a better job of picking #1s that contribute quickly. Some GMs do a better job of picking guys like Wilson in the third round that are impact guys quickly.

This doesn't necessarily mean that picking a guy late like Bradshaw means that you are s great GM. We can't make that call on a pick or two. We can only evaluate a GM over years of picks both low and high and don't forget UDFA.

Free agency is fools gold in general. Great teams are build through the draft and UDFA IMO.

Go Blue!!

Comment

Working...
                                X