Fewell Signed Through 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fewell Signed Through 2012

Looks like we're stuck with Fewell for another year (ugh) barring some team being desperate enough to hire him as an HC.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=683368
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: Fewell Signed Through 2012

huh?
    I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Here's the original article in the Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...d-through-2012
      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Reality is, we're just gonna have to deal with Spags leading the Eagles defense next season - he will soon be the enemy

Comment

As was stated in a previous thread, I don't this guarantees anything except that if the Giants dump him they still have to pay him. They didn't "just" sign him to an extensionrecently (like this week). If the defense comes out looking pourous again and the Giants decide to make a change, the fact that he "has a contract" means nothing. Ask Suebert and O'hara.

Comment

[quote user="ebick"]As was stated in a previous thread, I don't this guarantees anything except that if the Giants dump him they still have to pay him.* They didn't "just" sign him to an extension*recently (like this week). If the defense comes out looking pourous again and the Giants decide to make a change, the fact that he "has a contract" means nothing.* Ask Suebert and O'hara.[/quote]

True ... he did sign the 1 year extension last year.

But his defense would have to get absolutely embarrased this week for his contract not to be honored by the Giants front office. That's just how they roll.

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"]But his defense would have to get absolutely embarrased this week[/quote]

You say that like it's unrealistic...........lol

Seriously, the 2011 Giants are "like a box of chocolates"......

Comment

Come on folksthink about how the Giants do business. They gave Fewell a contract extension last year because they don't want lame duck coaches on the staff. Guess what? After this year Fewell will again be going into a lame duck year, so no, the Giants will not necessarily honor next year's deal because the deal expires next year. I posted something similar to this in another thread about this topicyesterday:

http://boards.giants.com/forums/permalink/2408294/2408356/ShowThread.aspx#2408356

Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

[quote user="ebick"]

[quote user="Kruunch"]But his defense would have to get absolutely embarrased this week[/quote]

You say that like it's unrealistic...........lol

Seriously, the 2011 Giants are "like a box of chocolates"......

[/quote]

Yeah I know.

Comment

[quote user="repeatchamps"]

Come on folks*think about how the Giants do business. They gave Fewell a contract extension last year because they don't want lame duck coaches on the staff. Guess what? After this year Fewell will again be going into a lame duck year, so no, the Giants will not necessarily honor next year's deal because the deal expires next year. I posted something similar to this in another thread about this topic*yesterday:

http://boards.giants.com/forums/permalink/2408294/2408356/ShowThread.aspx#2408356

[/quote]

They generally only do that with HCs.

The lame duck rule doesn't seem to apply to coordinators (ala Tim Lewis).

But we'll see .... I hope you're right ... I don't think Fewell is a quality DC.

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="repeatchamps"]

Come on folksthink about how the Giants do business. They gave Fewell a contract extension last year because they don't want lame duck coaches on the staff. Guess what? After this year Fewell will again be going into a lame duck year, so no, the Giants will not necessarily honor next year's deal because the deal expires next year. I posted something similar to this in another thread about this topicyesterday:

[/quote] They generally only do that with HCs. The lame duck rule doesn't seem to apply to coordinators (ala Tim Lewis). But we'll see .... I hope you're right ... I don't think Fewell is a quality DC.[/quote]

If I recall correctly, Tim Lewis was fired while still under contract. I think the same philosophy applies to the DC and OC positions as it does for HC. They did it once already with Fewell last yearso I'd expect some kind of contractual move with him again this offseason.

Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

[quote user="repeatchamps"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="repeatchamps"]

Come on folks*think about how the Giants do business. They gave Fewell a contract extension last year because they don't want lame duck coaches on the staff. Guess what? After this year Fewell will again be going into a lame duck year, so no, the Giants will not necessarily honor next year's deal because the deal expires next year. I posted something similar to this in another thread about this topic*yesterday:

[/quote] They generally only do that with HCs. The lame duck rule doesn't seem to apply to coordinators (ala Tim Lewis). But we'll see .... I hope you're right ... I don't think Fewell is a quality DC.[/quote]

If I recall correctly, Tim Lewis was fired while still under contract. I think the same philosophy applies to the DC and OC positions as it does for HC. They did it once already with Fewell last year*so I'd expect some kind of contractual move with him again this offseason.

[/quote]

Possibly ... we shall see.

Comment

Why at so many down on PF? What was he supposed to do this year? How many CB's did they lose in pre season? They drafted a CB in the 1st round that may be a good one but he broke his foot. Even when they signed guys off the street that where playing good they experienced season ending injuries. He lost his starting MLB and Sintim. I know, Sintim has done nothing as a pro, but I remember Carl Banks saying he looked good in camp and at least he was not a rookie. I like Williams a lot, but he is a rookie and Blackburn was sitting home not to long ago. Tuck is only getting healthy now, and Osi missed almost half the season.

The last two weeks the defense has played a lot better. So what has happened? Tuck is healthy. So at least they have a pass rush again, but they are still limited with their secondary and MLB is still a soft part of their team.

Comment

[quote user="buddy33"]Why at so many down on PF? What was he supposed to do this year? How many CB's did they lose in pre season? They drafted a CB in the 1st round that may be a good one but he broke his foot. Even when they signed guys off the street that where playing good they experienced season ending injuries. He lost his starting MLB and Sintim. I know, Sintim has done nothing as a pro, but I remember Carl Banks saying he looked good in camp and at least he was not a rookie. I like Williams a lot, but he is a rookie and Blackburn was sitting home not to long ago. Tuck is only getting healthy now, and Osi missed almost half the season.

The last two weeks the defense has played a lot better. So what has happened? Tuck is healthy. So at least they have a pass rush again, but they are still limited with their secondary and MLB is still a soft part of their team.[/quote]

The biggest difference in the last two weeks with Fewell's defense (other than getting Osi back) was that he cut out all of that gimmicky zone-underneath stuff and those idiot 3-man rushes.

We play a very base zone now and are getting by on sheer talent. The biggest difference? Guys aren't throwing their hands up wondering where they're supposed to be right before the opponents hike the ball.

Imagine how good our D would be if we actually had a DC with a coordinated game plan (including with injuries).

Comment

[quote user="buddy33"]Why at so many down on PF? What was he supposed to do this year? How many CB's did they lose in pre season? They drafted a CB in the 1st round that may be a good one but he broke his foot. Even when they signed guys off the street that where playing good they experienced season ending injuries. He lost his starting MLB and Sintim. I know, Sintim has done nothing as a pro, but I remember Carl Banks saying he looked good in camp and at least he was not a rookie. I like Williams a lot, but he is a rookie and Blackburn was sitting home not to long ago. Tuck is only getting healthy now, and Osi missed almost half the season.

The last two weeks the defense has played a lot better. So what has happened? Tuck is healthy. So at least they have a pass rush again, but they are still limited with their secondary and MLB is still a soft part of their team.[/quote]
                              +1....People forget that when T2 and Goff were there last year and we were healthy upfront for most of the year we had the most sacks in the league and one of the best defenses....we've just had way too many injuries this year to really judge Fewel.

I think now that we're starting to get healthier up front and the young guys are becoming more familiar with the scheme, we're starting to see improvements. But guys like Ross will just get burned, you can't do anything about it and it's not Fewel's fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X