No announcement yet.

Eli Manning: I canít remember why I didnít want to be a Charger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol what was he supposed to say? The Chargers have horrible ownership/management? How would that have gone over?

Comment

Here's a link from a few years back - it appears to be an interview with Eli after he was drafted by SD, but before the trade was made.

http://www.chargersgab.com/2009/11/0...rs-vs-manning/

Comment

He would have told Cleveland the samething (I think) some franchises give young qb's no chance to succeed
        The Gigalo with the most below

Comment

I remember seeing a quote from him that either he or his dad was told by someone within the Charger organization not to play there...not sure if it's true or not, but I do remember seeing it.

Also I think it's funny that even after all these years...that any Charger fan would still be bitter or somehow try to rationalize the trade that they got the better of the deal...it's a team game, and the bottom line is that he played solid playoff football during the two SB runs w/help that may not have been there if the Giants would have kept Rivers...wouldn't trade it for the world.

Comment

The Leaf debacle certainly has to be the main reason. If he didnt succeed he would have been labeled leaf 2.0, and nobody wants that moniker. plus there were few teams worse than the chargers at the time

After that the choice to come to new york was a franchise with a rich history in the biggest market in the country, loyal organization and fans and not having to face his brother too often by being in the AFC

Comment

Originally posted by jwhorner6 View Post
              I always wonder if the fact that at the time of the draft, SD had a pretty decent franchise QB playing for them who just finished his 4th season. Maybe Eli didn't want to chance sitting behind drew Brees for the next 9 seasons.
              I dont think the chargers felt too good about brees or they wouldnt have drafted a QB no matter how hyped. Any young QB would have been given a chance to get that starter job. Brees wasnt what he is now at the time

Comment

it wasnt so much not wanting to be a charger but more so Archie wanted him surrounded by good players. He did not want to see Eli end up like him with no championships. and he was right. Eli needs a really good team around him to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
                  it wasnt so much not wanting to be a charger but more so Archie wanted him surrounded by good players. He did not want to see Eli end up like him with no championships. and he was right. Eli needs a really good team around him to succeed.
                  Dont they all? It took peyton ten years to get a ring. Its been over ten years since brady has gotten one. Marino never got one

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
                    no..Archie didn tlike AJ Smith and the organization....
                    had nothing to do with your assessment of Eli only being able to succeed with good players around him.
                    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Recently people have mentioned wanting to see Eli in a different system. I can't help but wonder if KG was Brees' OC while in SD...and if so, how did going to SP's system work for Drew?

Also, if Drew is all that...which he appears to be...how did SD ever let him go? Even if they thought he was injured goods, they sure didn't let him stick around long enough to find out. I wonder why that is?

Comment

Originally posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
                        Recently people have mentioned wanting to see Eli in a different system. I can't help but wonder if KG was Brees' OC while in SD...and if so, how did going to SP's system work for Drew?

Also, if Drew is all that...which he appears to be...how did SD ever let him go? Even if they thought he was injured goods, they sure didn't let him stick around long enough to find out. I wonder why that is?
                        Because they had an oppurunity to grab a top college QB. Thats a safer decision than chancing brees getting injured or regressing. Pretty much the exact situation as peyton/luck

Comment

Originally posted by DSP View Post
                          Pretty much the exact situation as peyton/luck
                          Except Brees was only in his mid-twenties when Rivers was drafted. He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire then, so maybe they just weren't convinced he was a franchise guy. Hard to blame them, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                            Except Brees was only in his mid-twenties when Rivers was drafted. He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire then, so maybe they just weren't convinced he was a franchise guy. Hard to blame them, really.
                            The ages dont matter. If peyton lives to 103 he will still be a better QB than most in their mid 20s lol

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                              Exactly...and my point is that "he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire." Why is it such a stretch to imagine if Eli were running something like...say...SP's system in NO. Worked out pretty good for Brees...no?

Comment

Originally posted by nygfanmaybe View Post

The OC for Brees when he was a charger was Norv Turner his rookie year and then Cam Cameron. Brees was a back up to flutie his rookie year. Year 2 got off to a promising start as the Chargers started 6-1 and then collapsed. Over the next 1.5 seasons the chargers went 6-19 and Brees was benched throwing more INTs then TDs and the chargers had the worst record in the league.

After drafting Eli and trading for Rivers, Brees came into his own. Whether it was just natural growth or the drafting of Rivers lit a fire under him is unknown. But he was very good in 2004 and the chargers went from 4-12 to 12-4 and hosted a first round playoff game which they lost in Marty fashion, by going ultra conservative and the kicker (who they got in the Eli trade) missed a 40 yarder in OT.

In 2005 Brees was franchis tagged to his dismay as he wanted a guarantee, regressed a bit but was still good, but in the meaningless season finale he got his shoulder bashed in trying to recover a fumble in his own endzone. Doctors told the chargers he had little chance to come back from it. The chargers had Rivers waiting in the wings, offered Brees a contract that Brees found insulting and was still upset that he was franchised for this very reason sought other offers. 2 teams offered him a contract. The dolphins who offered him the same the chargers did, an incentive laden contract and the saints who desperate for a QB offered him a lot of guaranteed money. He chose the guaranteed money and the rest is history.

Comment

Working...
                                X