If a GM offered you a 1st round pick for Eli this offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Gmen0820 makes a good point about how much money he wants. Right now he's just managing games. We shouldn't pay him $20 million a year for that. This year he robbed the bank with his performance.
    Blame Reese for the CAP HIT of 20 mil. His cap hit was under 10 mil last year as well.

If he robbed the bank do the Giants owe him money for 2011?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
      Just going back to the comment about Eli "just being a downfield passer with most success with huge receivers". Not sure who it was so sorry for not quoting directly...

..but we've had some of the gaudiest (sp) WR number in Giants history with Smith (5'-11") Cruz (6'-0") and Nicks (6'-1").... and with 2 of them playing out of the slot.

That perception just doesn't match the reality.
      Keep in mind that is Giants history. Anyone that knows the Giants history knows that we have never been a passing juggernaut. We had the Fassel years and such, but not like the sling happy Gilbride era.

Comment

• Can we wait til after the game Sunday because I'm going and it's going to be my sons 1st NFL game ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by GameTime View Post
          you would make a poor NFL owner. Lombardi Trophies are the ultimate goal and accomplishment.
          This position is why you wouldn't likely make a good owner...filling seats and garnering market share is the teams ultimate goal. Have a team that wins the superbowl once a decade but doesn't make the playoffs the rest of the seasons and see how long you stick with that philosophy. SB wins have to be mixed in with seasons that you are in contention. Players won't want to play for you and fans won't want to support you if all you did was bring the periodic SB.

Comment

• Originally posted by dillyyo2013 View Post
            Keep in mind that is Giants history. Anyone that knows the Giants history knows that we have never been a passing juggernaut. We had the Fassel years and such, but not like the sling happy Gilbride era.
            Stupid Eli for playing for the Giants.

...and like I said its putting up numbers with WR's who aren't the size of power forwards like it was implied being one of the "only" ways he can be successful AND with players in the slot.

Comment

This position is why you wouldn't likely make a good owner...filling seats and garnering market share is the teams ultimate goal. Have a team that wins the superbowl once a decade but doesn't make the playoffs the rest of the seasons and see how long you stick with that philosophy. SB wins have to be mixed in with seasons that you are in contention. Players won't want to play for you and fans won't want to support you if all you did was bring the periodic SB.
              do you think filling seats is or will be a problem?

Comment

• Have a team that wins the superbowl once a decade

and then you'd have a team with 6 SB victories. That would be awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                  no doubt he will and I take nothing away from Peyton. He is one of the best QBs in the history of the game. But SB wins for teams trump everything else.
                  Solely from a fans perspective. Continuity and stability at the top year in and year out captures market share and post seasons. It also makes your team attractive to other potential prospects or acquisitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                    Even when we won the super bowl, knocking off the much-hated (and in 2007, overly ******y) Patriots, people kept lining up to say that the Giants were nothing special, that they "got lucky". Now all those guys are pretty much proving themselves right. Even if we somehow came back to win a super bowl this season, people would STILL have zero respect for the Giants. I want fans all across the NFL to be in absolute awe of our team's power like they are enamored with Seattle right now, that I could wear a Giants jersey all around the country with pride. Right now I can't even wear a giants t-shirt to the local grocery store without being laughed at...

But all that isn't going to happen unless you have a team that can actually dominate.
                    Bingo. That's the feeling Giants fans had with the 80's teams. They were badasses and even though we only won 2 SB in 86 and 90, every season you felt like you had the potential to dominate. That's what they do in NE under Bill and that's what I have longed for from these Giants since then.

Comment

• Would you rather be a Colts' fan that got 1 ring from Peyton or a Giant fan that has 2 rings from Eli. I'll take 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
                        Blame Reese for the CAP HIT of 20 mil. His cap hit was under 10 mil last year as well.

If he robbed the bank do the Giants owe him money for 2011?
                        Why do we have to blame anyone? The only reason his CAP hit is that high is he has restructured. It's just how it works.

It's a contract and he is entitled to whatever the terms call for, whether he plays lights out or in the dark. Just like every other player in the NFL.
                        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• I understand the importance of consistency, and I crave it from this current team we have.
                          But 2 Super Bowls just triumph everything. We shouldn't forget the bad and the ugly, but I can't let consistency overtake the ultimate prize.
                          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                            Then don't apologize lol. Wear it and be proud of it!

Doesn't matter if our SB's were lucky or not, we found a way to win and that's all that matters.
                            You're like the dude who golfs, hits whacked *** hacker shots and get lucky once in a while, only to proclaim what a great shot that big 50 yd slice that landed in the fairway, even though you never meant to hit such a shot. I expect better out of myself and out of teams or players I support. Even though they have gotten results, this team is the complete opposite of what Tom is usually preaching.

Comment

Bingo. That's the feeling Giants fans had with the 80's teams. They were badasses and even though we only won 2 SB in 86 and 90, every season you felt like you had the potential to dominate. That's what they do in NE under Bill and that's what I have longed for from these Giants since then.

So when we were 10-1 before Plex shot himself, Year after we were 5-0, 21 points up on Philly, beat up SF and GB you didn't think we had a shot. That's 4 years plus the 2 we did win it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
                                Trading Eli for a 1st rounder (especially one out of the top 2-3 picks) would be a horrible trade. Look around the league. Look at how many teams are questioning if their QB has the stuff to lead their team to the SB.

Teams spend YEARS looking for that guy. Teams like the Dolphins, Bills and Browns have looked for decades for that guy. Broncos were so desparate to find one that they took a chance on a 36 y/o QB coming off of 4 neck surgeries, and for all of that guys' greatness everyone agrees that if he gets caught in a cold weather playoff game he's screwed.

For all of Eli's faults, he's PROVEN that he can go ANYWHERE in the playoffs and win. Of course all SB winning QBs' have good team around them, but not all QBs' with good teams around them can win a SB.

Look at what's happened with Schaub out in HOU. Even before this season, and despite a lot of his past success, people had serious doubts if he had the "stuff" to bring his team all the way. People still have those doubts about Romo and Cutler. The Bengals are starting to have those same doubts about Dalton, Rams are starting to wonder if Bradford is their guy.

So again, I ask, WHY OH WHY would you get rid of a guy that's already that's already proven TWICE that he does have the "stuff" to win it all if he's got the right pieces around him?
                                Why did SF get rid of Montana? Why let Young come in? Eli's a tough guy and he most likely won't breakdown in a physical sense, especially as protected as QBs are today, but he will likely breakdown mentally. Under duress he has always shown a penchant to crack and throw picks. I don't see that changing after 10 yrs unless you build him a wall Oline.

Comment

Working...
                                X