No announcement yet.

Giants' RT Justin Pugh Compares Favorably So Far To Chargers' DJ Fluker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit to being frustrated that we couldn't get a #2 on the field. Remember the back issue that came after his first year of just watching and learning? He had one strong and consistent year during his first contract in fact. He burned alot of cash against our cap during those years which always gets me riled up.

Then when I saw him play, I was struck by how soft he is on the run,
    I took solace in the fact that he kept Eli upright last year which is admittedly huge so I shrugged my shoulders when they chose to give him the big money and said "what the hell do I know, Reese is the GM I assume he knows what's best." Then we have this year and are stuck hoping that a guy in his 5th?? year is going to find his form. It just frustrates me because this is one of those I have had a bad feeling about for years and my worst fears seem to be coming true at LT. Nothing more than that. We all have the burdens we carry around. This is just one of mine.

Go Blue!!

That's my story, it's all I've got on this topic but rather than sharing it in snippets I figured I'd put it all out there because you are a thoughtful poster.
    Last edited by jomo; 12-06-2013, 03:45 PM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
      To his credit, he has said as much
      Yes he has but his excuse was weak. Can't kill the guy for not knowing how to find the right words but he basically said that he has been sucking because he is trying too hard to earn the contract. Ouch.
      Last edited by jomo; 12-06-2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
        I'll turn that around.....based on one "good" year - which is when the Giants collapsed down the stretch - what has Beatty done to earn his contract?

Here's my book on Beatty:

He was drafted in 2009....played special teams and some tight end.....2010, was injured and missed half the season.....2011, was named starting left tackle, was injured again when the team was 6-5, and Diehl slid over and the Giants won another Super Bowl.....2012, had a decent year, but the Giants collapsed down the stretch and missed the playoffs.....2013 has been mediocre at best, and embarrassing at times.

In my opinion, he looks alot better on PFF than on TV.
        So you think Diehl at LT was the missing cog in a SB while Beatty was the reason they were 6-5 in 2011 and the 2012 collapse? Pitiful example of correlation being far from causation.

Comment

He can still rebound. Lets not count him out after 12 subpar games. Maybe he will work his butttttt off during the off season. If he plays like his 2012 version and we sign/draft a good guard or two, then we could turn the oline into a strength again.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: mlerm17
          Follow me on Twitter @mlerm17

Comment

Originally posted by Mlerman17 View Post
            He can still rebound. Lets not count him out after 12 subpar games. Maybe he will work his butttttt off during the off season. If he plays like his 2012 version and we sign/draft a good guard or two, then we could turn the oline into a strength again.
            Hoping so.....

Comment

Originally posted by penguinfarmer View Post
              Barrett Jones' "versatility" has gotten him nothing. He's a third string OL for STL.
              lmao
              My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                bad value pick
                didnt follow the conforms of drafting 101
                could have gotten him in the second round (although the Bears would have taken him with the next pick)
                you never ever take a RT with the first pick
                JR messed up with not getting Winston so he HAD to pick Pugh

above are just some of the things the drafting gurus pissed and moaned about
                I moaned because they passed on Cordy Glenn the year before to take David Wilson. i thought he was a better prospect and a better value pick then where Pugh was taken. Thats where my complaints stemmed from.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                  I moaned because they passed on Cordy Glenn the year before to take Wilson.
                  Wilson will payoff Redeye if he can come back from the spinal stenosis. We never saw the guy get 20 carries in a game. Patience young Skywalker.
                  Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

What worries me is that Beatty has had trouble dealing with speed rushers of late as well as the power rushers. I'd like to see Pugh at LT.
                    Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                      If I recall correctly, one of Pugh's upside qualities was he has played all line position except for center. SO, it might not be as much of a transition for him after a year at RT getting his feet wet,
                      he played LT in college. in HS, he played OG in a triple option offense like GT runs

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                        Wilson will payoff Redeye if he can come back from the spinal stenosis. We never saw the guy get 20 carries in a game. Patience young Skywalker.
                        I had faith in Wilson coming around, but honestly…i hope he hangs it up for the sake of his health. Spinal Stenosis is no joke and could leave him paralyzed.

Comment

bad value pick
                          could have gotten him in the second round (although the Bears would have taken him with the next pick)

Never understood this logic. I get BPA. I get you want a first round talent in the first round. But how can one say "we could have gotten him in the 2nd round round" when he would have been taken the very next pick? In the first round? Doesn't that make him a first round talent? Even if only relative to the talent surrounding him in that draft class?

Comment

Originally posted by ImElectric2 View Post
                            Never understood this logic. I get BPA. I get you want a first round talent in the first round. But how can one say "we could have gotten him in the 2nd round round" when he would have been taken the very next pick? In the first round? Doesn't that make him a first round talent? Even if only relative to the talent surrounding him in that draft class?
                            Me neither....he is one of the wannabe draft gurus who just embarrass themselves on draft day.

Comment

bad value pick

Pugh is turning out to be a great value pick, IMO. In his rookie year alone, he's progressing into a guy who can play at least 2 and maybe 3 o-line positions very well.

I love the pick. Pugh's going to be the heart of our o-line for a long time barring injury.

Comment

Originally posted by JJC7301 View Post
                                Pugh is turning out to be a great value pick, IMO. In his rookie year alone, he's progressing into a guy who can play at least 2 and maybe 3 o-line positions very well.

I love the pick. Pugh's going to be the heart of our o-line for a long time barring injury.
                                I don't think he'll be the "heart" of our line, but he should be a solid Giant for years to come. We NEED a mauler on the interior of the line.

Comment

Working...
                                X