Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIants' Free Agents: Can Andre Brown Carry The Load At Running Back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    No.... Brown is a nice 3 string back. Hillis is probably a better all around back... better hands, blocker and size. Brown gets the yards that are there, but is nothing special. He showed when the oline played like garbage so did he. Theres a reason Wilson was gonna be the starter and reason why Brown has been on more teams then he has years in the league....
    Needs for 2016

    DL, Secondary, RB, OL, TE, WR, LB

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
      How do we know that until we get a decent OLine and how do we know they aren't ogong to bring in another one year FA yet to be named?
      Well currently Wilson and Cox are the only backs under contract, so they'll definitely be bringing others in. Who knows if Brown and Hillis will even return? Either way, I'd rather aim higher before settling with the status quo.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
        Well currently Wilson and Cox are the only backs under contract, so they'll definitely be bringing others in. Who knows if Brown and Hillis will even return? Either way, I'd rather aim higher before settling with the status quo.
        Being a herniated cervical disc post surgery person, I am pretty sure the best we can hope for with Wilson is PUP to start the next season. This is not the type of injury where if you break it or tear it again you will have a limp for the rest of your life. Anything can happen, but I would assume they will hedge their bets and bring in a FA, as they did with Jacobs, for at least one season.

        It would probably be appropriate to not talk about Wilson being here in 2014 and if he is, then he is.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
          It would probably be appropriate to not talk about Wilson being here in 2014 and if he is, then he is.
          I know, that's why I said they'll definitely be bringing others in. Next season's starter may not have appeared on a Giants roster before.

          My point was that I'd rather see them try and improve at the position before bringing back a Brown or Hillis.
          Last edited by Flip Empty; 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
            Why get hung up on his "carrying the load" when he can platoon with Hillis and whoever else survives camp?
            I hope we keep Hillis around. He showed some sparks of his old nasty running style a few times. There is no risk in keeping him and not much $$ required.
            1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

            Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

            Comment


            • #36
              There is way too much risk in having a feature back in today's NFL. It will tie up too much $ eventually in a position that is the focal point of injuries.

              I would much prefer that we put our money in a studly OL and go with RB by committee.
              Most teams do just that. We haven't because our GM has had difficulty identify NFL qualities in prospective players.
              We can turn this around quickly but it needs to start with personnel and primarliy on the OL. After that it gets easier.
              No one remembers who came in second.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                Being a herniated cervical disc post surgery person, I am pretty sure the best we can hope for with Wilson is PUP to start the next season. This is not the type of injury where if you break it or tear it again you will have a limp for the rest of your life. Anything can happen, but I would assume they will hedge their bets and bring in a FA, as they did with Jacobs, for at least one season.

                It would probably be appropriate to not talk about Wilson being here in 2014 and if he is, then he is.
                Very Good Point. He should be in our prayers for a healthy recovery.
                1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

                Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                  I know, that's why I said they'll definitely be bringing others in. Next season's starter may not have appeared on a Giants roster before.

                  My point was that I'd rather see them try and improve at the position before bringing back a Brown or Hillis.
                  Brown is a guy who heads North and has the patience to wait for his blocking to create a seam. Hills is the only bona fide check down option we've had in a long time. One guy doesn't have to do it all and both of these guys block better than anyone else we've had other than Jacobs. Maybe if we get a great blocking TE, the blocking won't be as significant in the backfield.
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by jomo View Post
                    There is way too much risk in having a feature back in today's NFL. It will tie up too much $ eventually in a position that is the focal point of injuries.

                    I would much prefer that we put our money in a studly OL and go with RB by committee.
                    Most teams do just that. We haven't because our GM has had difficulty identify NFL qualities in prospective players.
                    We can turn this around quickly but it needs to start with personnel and primarliy on the OL. After that it gets easier.

                    +1
                    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                      Brown is a guy who heads North and has the patience to wait for his blocking to create a seam. Hills is the only bona fide check down option we've had in a long time. One guy doesn't have to do it all and both of these guys block better than anyone else we've had other than Jacobs. Maybe if we get a great blocking TE, the blocking won't be as significant in the backfield.
                      Yesssirrreee !!!! Definitely !!
                      1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

                      Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        Brown is a guy who heads North and has the patience to wait for his blocking to create a seam. Hills is the only bona fide check down option we've had in a long time. One guy doesn't have to do it all and both of these guys block better than anyone else we've had other than Jacobs. Maybe if we get a great blocking TE, the blocking won't be as significant in the backfield.
                        Brown is a guy that gets hurt every year, fumbles, and seems to wear down rather quick as the carries mount. I'd just like to at least see them attempt to upgrade there before settling with what they had last season.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                          Brown is a guy that gets hurt every year, fumbles, and seems to wear down rather quick as the carries mount. I'd just like to at least see them attempt to upgrade there before settling with what they had last season.
                          The Gianst need a stable of 4 RBs. Brown can certainly be one of them but in the current state they have no "featured" back so to speak.
                          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                            The Gianst need a stable of 4 RBs. Brown can certainly be one of them but in the current state they have no "featured" back so to speak.
                            This. We have possibly Brown, Hillis and Cox as 3 of the 4. I am not expecting Wilson this year so I am not counting him. That means we need a lead back. Brown is fine as the 2nd back but he cannot carry the load. He is not a feature back as he is not really good at anything besides being patient. That patience doesnt ultimately lead to much though as he has no burst through the hole.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post
                              This. We have possibly Brown, Hillis and Cox as 3 of the 4. I am not expecting Wilson this year so I am not counting him. That means we need a lead back. Brown is fine as the 2nd back but he cannot carry the load. He is not a feature back as he is not really good at anything besides being patient. That patience doesnt ultimately lead to much though as he has no burst through the hole.
                              We absolutely cannot go into next season with Brown, Hiilis and Cox as 3 of our 4 RB's . . . .

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                                We absolutely cannot go into next season with Brown, Hiilis and Cox as 3 of our 4 RB's . . . .
                                I agree but I think that is what we will do. I think we need to sign a RB in FA as well as draft one. Then choose between Hillis and Brown on which we would like to keep. Personally I would keep Hillis.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X