Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIants' Free Agents: Can Andre Brown Carry The Load At Running Back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIants' Free Agents: Can Andre Brown Carry The Load At Running Back?

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ning_back.html

Excerpt: ""Each day until Feb. 2, the final day of the 2013 NFL season, we're going to break down a Giants free agent. We'll analyze his season, his future and the odds of him re-signing with the team this offseason.

Position: Running back
    2013 Stats: 492 rushing yards, three touchdowns
    '13 salary: $2,023,000

Had Andre Brown been healthy for the entire season, we might be talking about a Giants team that was able to sneak into the playoffs.

His return game against the Raiders was a showcase in resilience. Brown was coming off a broken leg and carried the ball 30 times for 115 yards and a touchdown. He helped open up a Giants offense that had become frighteningly one-dimensional behind their makeshift offensive line.

Brown has a good amount of power, and has taken steps to retool his diet to ensure he won't sustain another broken leg. He was essentially hit in the same spot twice in two years.

With David Wilson's future growing more uncertain by the day, his familiarity with Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin will be invaluable, especially since the only other healthy running back on the roster is MIchael Cox, a 2013 seventh-round pick who played sparingly.

If the Giants end up adding a back in free agency or via the draft, both of which may be likely at this point, Brown's skillset on third downs or in short yardage would still be useful.

He also wants to be back, and said he would have done a deal sight unseen if the Giants approached him on baggie day this year.

Chance for a return: 75%" Read more...
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-16-2014, 07:55 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Why get hung up on his "carrying the load" when he can platoon with Hillis and whoever else survives camp?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Quick answer:

No.
      "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

No he needs to be the second string if he comes back. Then again I dont know who is out there that can just come in and start.

Comment

I don't believe Andre can carry the team but he can and is a good lead back whos durable and tough.

Brown is better when combined with a change of pace back. Hopefully Wilson can come back healthy to be part of that.
          sigpic

Comment

not many teams have 1 back that carries the load anymore. AB is a good back but will get hurt during the season. The Giants need 4 backs in their stable
            "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

andre has earned his spot on this team if he wants to return, but i never want to see him get 30+ touches in a game again, he was totally worn down by week 17.

Comment

No.

Comment

Yeah this is a BIG NEGATIVE!!! NO

Comment

I admire Brown's resiliency and toughness. That said.. Do I want a RB that has 2 broken legs in 2 years? Hell th to hell no.. Thanks Brown... bounce your kids on the remaining good leg and call it a very good career...

Comment

Before they mentioned Wilson's surgery, I was hoping they would finally get the chance to be good together... guess that's not happening in 2014.

Part of me wants to try Jernigan as our speed back to switch up with Brown. Would alleviate the logjam at slot WR (although he could still play over there in the event of a Cruz injury), we now know definitively that he can catch, he's the fastest man on the roster now with Wilson sidelined (not to mention he demonstrated greater agility than Wilson on that end-around), and he would be able to do a lot for us, kinda like Cobb over in Green Bay.
                      Last edited by Toadofsteel; 01-09-2014, 11:34 PM.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

the way i see it, we want to get back to before wilson actually ever even played a snap after drafting him with all that potential in our thoughts, that mentality and attitude. and that was "we had a potential superstar and Brown backing him up."

that should be the goal. "could" brown carry the load? yeah. he did so the final 8 weeks or so for the most part. those first 4 games he came back, he did look nasty good. but ultimately, i think we'll be where we want to be if we can get a guy who is even better than brown, and more dynamic. so brown could be the 2nd of a 1-2 punch at rb...thats my take at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                          Before they mentioned Wilson's surgery, I was hoping they would finally get the chance to be good together... guess that's not happening in 2014.

Part of me wants to try Jernigan as our speed back to switch up with Brown. Would alleviate the logjam at slot WR (although he could still play over there in the event of a Cruz injury), we now know definitively that he can catch, he's the fastest man on the roster now with Wilson sidelined (not to mention he demonstrated greater agility than Wilson on that end-around), and he would be able to do a lot for us, kinda like Cobb over in Green Bay.
                          Wow u just dont get it

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                            Interesting idea, if he can block Jernigan has speed, but the biggest problem is the same problem Wilson had, which is blocking.

Comment

No. Andre can't carry the load. I have no confidence he can stay healthy the entire season. There is no need. I think Hillis showed he is capable to help with the load. I'm hopeful Wilson can be back to be the streak of lightening behind the 2 thunder boomers of Brown and Hillis. Cox is still a question mark back there. I honestly have no take on him, other than he seems to run hard. Seems like a running back will be needed in the draft or FA as there is uncertainty with Brown's and Wilson's health.
                              Last edited by GiantRoc; 01-10-2014, 01:31 AM.
                              # 80 (For FBomb)

Comment

Working...
                              X