No announcement yet.

Bigger Role for Jerrel Jernigan possible in 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree Redeye ----- still a big believer in Jernigan --- was always frustrated we couldn't find ways to get this kid the ball in space / on the move.

Hopefully the new OC will find a way to move him around and at least give the D something to worry about --- out of the ordinary.

I personally like the thought of seeing both Jernigan and Cruz working out of the slot together in some situations --- similar to what Pats do on occasion with Amendola/Edelman --- and I think Cruz/Jernigan have more natural ability.

Comment

He proved he had something in the little amount of time he has been given so far. He definitely needs some plays

Comment

Originally posted by Red Dog View Post
        Not buying into preseason greatness predictions for Jernigan just yet until I see it happen on the field. Coaches know more than we do and there is a reason or reasons he didn't cut the starting lineup until injuries. I've asked before and I ask again, whom would he have replaced during the season?????
        He doesnt need to replace anyone its about using your entire roster to its full capability mixing up the personnel packages and formations.Gilbride struggled to utilize multiple inside receivers. Jernigan didnt produce until he was placed into Cruz's position, why couldnt Cruz and Jernigan both flourish at the same time , why does it have to be 1 or the other. I fully expect if Nicks is lost in FA to see the Giants go after a stud receiving TE and pair him with Cruz and Jernigan to exploit Linebacker mismatches in the middle of the field. They will also probably add someone adept at burning defenses on a 9 route
        Last edited by Redeyejedi; 01-27-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
          With the new hires at OC and QB coach there are some hints to what the new Giant offense will like. 1 player that could benefit greatly from the OC change is Jerrel Jernigan who never quite got his skill set maximized why Gilbride was the OC. Gilbride never quite figured out how to get 2 inside receivers going at the same time and the Giants lack of imagination involving personnel packages and formations doomed Jernigan. While at Troy Jernigan was lined up all over the field, in fact he had 48 rushing attempts his Senior year and finished 10th in the Nation in all purpose yards. Jernigan was used in the exact same way Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers was used at Kentucky.However when Jernigan reached the NFL the different formations and plays designed to get him the ball in space stopped while the Packers utilized those skills from Cobb. Now with the new direction of the offense beginning to take shape Jernigan may finally start seeing the plays called for him that Jerry Reese envisioned when selecting the Troy WR. With the loss of Nicks imminent getting offensive production from the entire offense could limit the sting and make the Giants harder to defend. Seeing how Cobb and Brandin Cooks from Langsdorf's Oregon State offense have been utilized its quite possible in 2014 Jernigan will be deployed in a similar fashion
          The main difference between Cobb's success from day one to date and that of Jernigan until now was that Cobb revealed immediately a high impact skill in the return game that compelled the Packers coaches to create LOS situations for Cobb in order to more completely exploit his receiving/run skills. Jernigan failed to do that when given return responsibilities his first 3 seasons.

In other words, Jernigan didn't give any coaches (not just Gilbride) enough reason to create plays utilizing his unique skills--the skills exhibited in college--until he was needed to replace injured Cruz, because whenever he WAS put in the game prior to December 2013, in whatever capacity, he generally failed to impress.

In December he impressed. As a result of his performance the last 3 games of this past season, whoever we had as offensive coaches in 2014--even including Gilbride had he remained--would be certain to create significant opportunities for Jernigan next year, lmo.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
            can't leave him on the sideline.. have to get JJ and Cruz on the field together..

kind of like Amendola and Edelman
            +1
            1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
              The main difference between Cobb's success from day one to date and that of Jernigan until now was that Cobb revealed immediately a high impact skill in the return game that compelled the Packers coaches to create LOS situations for Cobb in order to more completely exploit his receiving/run skills. Jernigan failed to do that when given return responsibilities his first 3 seasons.

In other words, Jernigan didn't give any coaches (not just Gilbride) enough reason to create plays utilizing his unique skills--the skills exhibited in college--until he was needed to replace injured Cruz, because whenever he WAS put in the game prior to December 2013, in whatever capacity, he generally failed to impress.

In December he impressed. As a result of his performance the last 3 games of this past season, whoever we had as offensive coaches in 2014--even including Gilbride had he remained--would be certain to create significant opportunities for Jernigan next year, lmo.
              To say Gilbride had no reason to game plan for Jerny because he had not lit a fire in the return game is way off the mark. You don't handicap an offensive weapon because he isn't rocking it on special teams. In addition Jerny obviously showed some good promise on special teams since he was returning kick offs for us in our last Super Bowl and did quite well. I find it hard to buy into your line of thinking. JJ did some great things with his opportunity the last 3 games and was not a special teams weapon.

Comment

time to bring back travis bekhum!!!

Comment

Originally posted by offingmoot View Post
                  Yea he could of excelled in this new offense they are talking about.
                  Football has been very, very good to us.
                  After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                  But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                  2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                  3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                  4-New York Giants!!!
                  5-NE
                  Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
                    To say Gilbride had no reason to game plan for Jerny because he had not lit a fire in the return game is way off the mark. You don't handicap an offensive weapon because he isn't rocking it on special teams. In addition Jerny obviously showed some good promise on special teams since he was returning kick offs for us in our last Super Bowl and did quite well. I find it hard to buy into your line of thinking. JJ did some great things with his opportunity the last 3 games and was not a special teams weapon.
                    My line of thinking was provoked by the comparison in this thread of Cobb (and his immediate success with GB) and Jernigan. Cobb made an immediate impact with his return game, thus provoking coaches into the desire to make room for him in their offense. When added to GB's offense, he made an immediate impact there, as well.

Jernigan made no impact in either of those areas of his game, until end of this past year. The fact that you have to reach back to 1 game at the end of the 2011 season to make your point about his return creds ought to tell you something.

Comment

With 90 percent of us thinking nicks is wearing another uniform next season I think we need to go out and draft one of the speedy WRs in this years draft class. There is a to. Of them to choose from. I don't think with losing nicks TC would make the new guy ride the pine. I think if they drafted a new guy to go with Cruz, RR & JJ they would utilize him right away.

Some of the names I've seen that could step in and replace Nicks paltry numbers of past two seasons and then some would be a Landry out of LSU. Maybe a Benjamin out of FSU or a Beckham out of LSU. There is a lot of guys out there. It's just picking the right one in the right round that is NFL ready..
                      Football has been very, very good to us.
                      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                      4-New York Giants!!!
                      5-NE
                      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                        to be fair though, it was KG who started utilizing him those final couple weeks. problem was, it took cruz being out.
                        2nd half of Denver, Carolina, KC all were great opportunities to get him some snaps. You might have already have covered this, but TC said the receiver we saw in the last couple of games had no resemblance to the JJ that came to camp in 2013.

It's sounds like BS to me. Cruz got hurt and JJ came in and made plays that we didn't know he could make. We didn't know because of how sparingly we used him this season, and since he's been hear really.

We still don't know if he is for real, but he showed you how he can make impact plays if you get him the ball in space. He was making good plays on end arounds, so TC's talk of how he wasn't ready to be in the game is BS. He knew how to run that play since high school.
                        Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                          2nd half of Denver, Carolina, KC all were great opportunities to get him some snaps. You might have already have covered this, but TC said the receiver we saw in the last couple of games had no resemblance to the JJ that came to camp in 2013.

It's sounds like BS to me. Cruz got hurt and JJ came in and made plays that we didn't know he could make. We didn't know because of how sparingly we used him this season, and since he's been hear really.

We still don't know if he is for real, but he showed you how he can make impact plays if you get him the ball in space. He was making good plays on end arounds, so TC's talk of how he wasn't ready to be in the game is BS. He knew how to run that play since high school.
                          Right. Because playing in the NFL is JUST like playing in HS. And Coughlin is lying, according to you. Why would he lie about his assessment of Jernigan? I mean, really, why would he publicly lie about that? You don't think that would come out, if he were?

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

How many times did the Giants try to use a personnel groupings that had both Cruz and Jernigan featured inside. Throw a short pass and let them run, but no every ball has to be tossed 40 yards down field to elicit a big play nevermind the Giants have players with home run ability that dont get the ball enough. This is where players like Jernigan , Cruz and yes David Wilson might be able to drive the Giants offense. Sprinkle in James Jones as Nicks replacement draft Ebron or Amaro, sign a Guard , draft a Center and suddenly this offense doesnt look broken anymore

Comment

Look at what he was able to do in the last 3 games. Even against Seattle, he was able to get some good pass production going... Can't wait to see what McAdoo can do with the kid...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by offingmoot View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X