Bigger Role for Jerrel Jernigan possible in 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    With the new hires at OC and QB coach there are some hints to what the new Giant offense will like. 1 player that could benefit greatly from the OC change is Jerrel Jernigan who never quite got his skill set maximized why Gilbride was the OC. Gilbride never quite figured out how to get 2 inside receivers going at the same time and the Giants lack of imagination involving personnel packages and formations doomed Jernigan. While at Troy Jernigan was lined up all over the field, in fact he had 48 rushing attempts his Senior year and finished 10th in the Nation in all purpose yards. Jernigan was used in the exact same way Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers was used at Kentucky.However when Jernigan reached the NFL the different formations and plays designed to get him the ball in space stopped while the Packers utilized those skills from Cobb. Now with the new direction of the offense beginning to take shape Jernigan may finally start seeing the plays called for him that Jerry Reese envisioned when selecting the Troy WR. With the loss of Nicks imminent getting offensive production from the entire offense could limit the sting and make the Giants harder to defend. Seeing how Cobb and Brandin Cooks from Langsdorf's Oregon State offense have been utilized its quite possible in 2014 Jernigan will be deployed in a similar fashion
    I don't think Jerrigan's problem was Gilbride

!st of all Jerrigan had self-fumled a kick return, hitting the ball with his own knee

that was frowned upon

When Jerrigan finally got his shot he made the most of it......even eliciting a rare player compliment by the Owner of the team.
    Jerrigan's future now seems quite sweet

No need to worry about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
      With the new hires at OC and QB coach there are some hints to what the new Giant offense will like. 1 player that could benefit greatly from the OC change is Jerrel Jernigan who never quite got his skill set maximized why Gilbride was the OC. Gilbride never quite figured out how to get 2 inside receivers going at the same time and the Giants lack of imagination involving personnel packages and formations doomed Jernigan. While at Troy Jernigan was lined up all over the field, in fact he had 48 rushing attempts his Senior year and finished 10th in the Nation in all purpose yards. Jernigan was used in the exact same way Randall Cobb of the Green Bay Packers was used at Kentucky.However when Jernigan reached the NFL the different formations and plays designed to get him the ball in space stopped while the Packers utilized those skills from Cobb. Now with the new direction of the offense beginning to take shape Jernigan may finally start seeing the plays called for him that Jerry Reese envisioned when selecting the Troy WR. With the loss of Nicks imminent getting offensive production from the entire offense could limit the sting and make the Giants harder to defend. Seeing how Cobb and Brandin Cooks from Langsdorf's Oregon State offense have been utilized its quite possible in 2014 Jernigan will be deployed in a similar fashion
      I agree and I hope he is utilized as such. I'm glad our OC is from the Packers' staff as he knows exactly how they utilized similar players to Jernigan.

However, all of this will be possible when, and only when, this dreadful o-line is fixed and Eli steps up his game.

Comment

If the Oline was that dreadful how on earth did we win 7 of our last 10 games? Puzzling

Comment

****...jakk is back..

hi
          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
            I don't think Jerrigan's problem was Gilbride

!st of all Jerrigan had self-fumled a kick return, hitting the ball with his own knee

that was frowned upon

When Jerrigan finally got his shot he made the most of it......even eliciting a rare player compliment by the Owner of the team.
            Jerrigan's future now seems quite sweet

No need to worry about him.
            Jakk is back!!! What up dog!
            Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
              Right. Because playing in the NFL is JUST like playing in HS. And Coughlin is lying, according to you. Why would he lie about his assessment of Jernigan? I mean, really, why would he publicly lie about that? You don't think that would come out, if he were?
              It's an end around. The QB hands you the ball and you make a play. It's a running play. It was the type of play he excelled at in COLLEGE, if high school is causing you concerns. He doesn't need to know how to block, run routes, get separation, play against the bumb and run, or anything else. He just has to make a play.

TC has an ego like any other man. At the end of the season last year TC was telling us there was no schematic problem with our offense, players just weren't executing. Well we know that's bull****. It's not about lying. It's more about TC not wanting to admit that he didn't have the right plan for developing personnel in this instance.
              Last edited by B&RWarrior; 01-27-2014, 09:51 PM.
              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

If the Oline was that dreadful how on earth did we win 7 of our last 10 games? Puzzling
                Great day and facing back up QB's.......look what happened against SD and Seattle

Comment

_
                  Oh for the love of crap...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                    It's an end around. The QB hands you the ball and you make a play. It's a running play. It was the type of play he excelled at in COLLEGE, if high school is causing you concerns. He doesn't need to know how to block, run routes, get separation, play against the bumb and run, or anything else. He just has to make a play.

TC has an ego like any other man. At the end of the season last year TC was telling us their was no schematic problem with our offense, players just weren't executing. Well we know that's bull****. It's not about lying. It's more about TC not wanting to admit that he didn't have the right plan for developing personnel in this instance.
                    Bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                      ****...jakk

hi
                      How are you doing queen bee

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                        Oh for the love of crap...
                        In your case the love of a flaming mooner

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

TC has an ego like any other man. At the end of the season last year TC was telling us their was no schematic problem with our offense, players just weren't executing. Well we know that's bull****. It's not about lying. It's more about TC not wanting to admit that he didn't have the right plan for developing personnel in this instance.
                          Agree 100%

But you forgot to mention all of the 'great' practices that weren't carrying over to game day during the 0-6 start.
                          One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
                            My line of thinking was provoked by the comparison in this thread of Cobb (and his immediate success with GB) and Jernigan. Cobb made an immediate impact with his return game, thus provoking coaches into the desire to make room for him in their offense. When added to GB's offense, he made an immediate impact there, as well.

Jernigan made no impact in either of those areas of his game, until end of this past year. The fact that you have to reach back to 1 game at the end of the 2011 season to make your point about his return creds ought to tell you something.
                            What it tells me is your line of thinking has pot holes. You stated Jernigan didn't make an impact on special teams as Cobb did right off the bat and therefore the offensive brain trust for the Giants wouldn't see a need to get Jerny on the field as the Packers did with Cobb. My point was Jernigan showed enough to be our kick off returner in the Super Bowl. It was not like he hadn't done anything to enforce the obvious reasons the Giants drafted him in the 3rd round. The fact that it was 2011 is really immaterial. If fact if anything it supports that the Giants saw early the exciting skill set he displayed in college. The main point - you don't handicap an offensive weapon because he's not rocking it on special teams. Over and out.
                            Last edited by Shockeystays08; 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

to add to BnR's post (I agree with), i dont buy for a second that TC and KG were unaware of his ability or that they didn't see him make plays in practice or something.
                              the past 2 yrs we've had issues with one of our starting WRs during the offseason. this led to JJ getting starter reps during OTAs and training camps. How often did we hear he was tearing it up and how many plays he was making? i remember giants.com did top 5 plays per day of the practices, and JJ would routinely be connecting with Eli on a deep route for a TD or something along those lines. JJ showed, imo, enough to warrant being made a more frequent contributor. Even the first preseason game in 2012, JJ started. We all should remember tat no called PI on that route he ran vs the carolina db iirc.

i was one of the most ecstatic posters ere when we drafted im. i had no idea he was even a possibility bc i kinda knew from the get go that he wasnt really a mix for KGs offense. i hoped KG would find ways to get him involved. he didnt. until his hand was forced.

question, would cruz have ever gotten HIS shot had Stokely or SS never gotten hurt? bc it took cruz getting hurt before JJ really got MEANINGFUL playing time. its also difficult for me to believe he was given a legit shot during the games when if e was lucky, he'd get 3 snaps a game. football is very much a rhythm sport. u got to get in the flow of the game. how many players can you name who've been relegated to 3 snaps per game and been any sort of impact player? i cant name 1. you got to give a player the required number of snaps/game time for any sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
                                What it tells me is your line of thinking has pot holes. You stated Jernigan didn't make an impact on special teams as Cobb did right off the bat and therefore the offensive brain trust for the Giants wouldn't see a need to get Jerny on the field as the Packers did with Cobb. My point was Jernigan showed enough to be our kick off returner in the Super Bowl. It was not like he hadn't done anything to enforce the obvious reasons the Giants drafted him in the 3rd round. The fact that it was 2011 is really immaterial. If fact if anything it supports that the Giants saw early the exciting skill set he displayed in college. The main point - you don't handicap an offensive weapon because he's not rocking it on special teams. Over and out.
                                not to mention, CObb wasnt a stand out ST player iirc. maybe he made a play or 2. really, he was included in teir offenses gameplans more and more frequently bc of his dynamic skill set. he was given particular formations and packages to acclimate himself in the game wile he made small contributions. GB knew what they had when they drafted him. I agree its kinda silly to compare JJ and CObb when discussing on field production. but in terms of skill set, they are absolutely similar.

Comment

Working...
                                X