Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants Giving Up on Pass-Rush First Philosophy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See: Seattle Seahawks.

I think the goal here is to give our DE's more time to get at the QB. Teams know when they face us, they have to get rid of the ball within a 3 second window. If we can have the QB hold onto the ball for another 2 seconds, we have a great change of sacking the QB or at least disrupting the play.

Comment

Originally posted by gian_18778 View Post

I think the goal here is to give our DE's more time to get at the QB. Teams know when they face us, they have to get rid of the ball within a 3 second window. If we can have the QB hold onto the ball for another 2 seconds, we have a great change of sacking the QB or at least disrupting the play.
      Seattle also had random undrafted or late round draft picks starting at that #2 CB spot, and they spent a lot of money and assets bringing in multiple very good pass rushers.

Im not sure where the idea came from that seattle had average or below average pass rushers and was only a good defense because of their secondary, but its just flat untrue.

Comment

agreed....its a team effort. You need more than just a pass rush
        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I doubt that. I fully expect the Giants to go 2 or 3 D-linemen in the first 4 rounds. Write it down.

Comment

I don't think they have given up on pass rushing. I think they are just trying to get younger. That means we will draft our next Tuck.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
              Seattle also had random undrafted or late round draft picks starting at that #2 CB spot, and they spent a lot of money and assets bringing in multiple very good pass rushers.

Im not sure where the idea came from that seattle had average or below average pass rushers and was only a good defense because of their secondary, but its just flat untrue.
              Not saying that Seattle's pass rush was sub-par at all, however, Seattle's secondary made them deadly.

How many times you watched the Giants and said to yourself, we almost had a sack, or a batted pass, especially on 3rd down? Even with all of the injures on defense, we were still feared as one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. I think this time around JR and the FO wants to give JPP, Kiwi, etc.. at least another 1.5 - 2 seconds before the ball leaves the QB's hand, which could equate into a sack, fumble, INT, defensive TD or incomplete pass, and consequently a *W*.

Comment

Not saying that Seattle's pass rush was sub-par at all, however, Seattle's secondary made them deadly.

How many times you watched the Giants and said to yourself, we almost had a sack, or a batted pass, especially on 3rd down? Even with all of the injures on defense, we were still feared as one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. I think this time around JR and the FO wants to give JPP, Kiwi, etc.. at least another 1.5 - 2 seconds before the ball leaves the QB's hand, which could equate into a sack, fumble, INT, defensive TD or incomplete pass, and consequently a *W*.
                SEA had a lot on money tied into their DL last offseason and just last year drafted a DE with their top pick. They're secondary was very good, but much of that they did in the SB was predicated on their DL getting to Manning with only a 4 man rush (sound familiar?).

They'll likely feel the loss of Bryant and Clemons this year some.

It's not more of a focus on the secondary as much as they have a lot of young players on the DL that they invested premium picks on and at some point you must find out if these guys can play.

Also, with the huge influx of vet pass rushers still on the market, they probably feel they can get one late in the offseason on a very good deal to be a situational pass rusher.
                All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                  with the game changing to quicker pass plays and more mobil QB extending plays the value can be put on cover guys. Makes sense to me. They will still have pass rushers too. A better backfield may give a a Dline more time to get to the QB. They need to work together.
                  Good points. I think these FA moves had philly, washington, and seattle in mind.

Show class, be a Giants fan.

Comment

great article, good read

Comment

I think with such a stacked secondary they are going send a mix of extra rusher’s much more so than in the past. Having such a good secondary, at least on paper, allows them to free up more guys, such as LB’s and the occasional safety/corner to get after the QB. There could be a lot more coverage sacks as well. Instead of our D line covering up our weaknesses in the secondary, perhaps it will be the other way around. Fewell’s got a lot of toys to play with and maybe all the Giants fans who have been screaming for a more aggressive D will finally get their wish!

Comment

Im a believer in a pass rush for sure... BUT I also think that a good pass rush is easier to beat... There are way more designed plays to stop a pass rush or slow it for that matter... Its tougher to design plays that can negate a good 2ndary... If the 2ndary is top notch the pass rush will get there... if the pass rush is good the plays are called different and the ball is out 123...

A good secondary buys time for a pass rush!!!
                        Go Giants!!!

Comment

There were a lot of good cover guys available this year, it was easier to sign them than sign aging pass rushers that all got 10+ mill a year. Theyll find a passrusher in the draft, and then hope Kiwanuka and JPP bounce back and Damontre takes the next step in his development.

Comment

This is a non-issue if JPP returns to his 2011 form. He single handedly dominated games from the DE position.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post

The D-line may be just as good as the secondary as a unit, especially if you consider run defense and the pass rush.
                              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
                                This is a non-issue if JPP returns to his 2011 form. He single handedly dominated games from the DE position.

Still need more than one guy.
                                Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Working...
                                X