nothing is impossible... David Wilson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i seriously despise KG for Wilson even being in this situation. it should never have gotten to this point. and yes, i partly blame him for the injury as well. i dunno why, its prob not fair but i just hate how we "attempted" to use him his rookie year and 2nd year.

and the biggest myth i saw repeated constantly was his inability to run between the tackles. when in actual reality, he was extremely effective in that regard. he is explosive on the edge, but he was very capable between the tackles.

love the way he keeps his feet moving through holes and at the point of impact. his feet are always going a mile a minute with powerful jab type strides. during the lead up to his draft, he was 1 of the rb's i would single out out of the very few because he had such a dynamic skill set in combination with a great ability at bouncing off impact/big tackles. ppl forget that he had more YAC than any other RB in college his last yr, even more so than trent richardson (whom I was adamant that he was the player that we have seen struggle in the NFL opposed to ppl claiming he was this bo jackson type talent lol).

i hope he gets back healthy. but almost as important, i hope his mentality when playing doesnt change at all. which, is kinda impossible with how TC and KG utilized him. we got a ferrari and trashed it to hell by learning to park a car with it (my terrible analogy to how Wilson was used).

And i remember how Wilson was tryin to get bck on the field right after he was injured. i was kinda shocked the extent he was hurt to be honest bc he appeared ready to return after a few snaps. im hopeful that he will recover by midseason and is used the way he should be used.
    As you say Wilson's problem's aren't running between the tackles. As a matter of fact he showed surprising power in his inside running.

His problem's are his lack of elusiveness which all great backs must have. He just hasn't shown that he can make people miss. He has great straight line speed which explains his success as a KR.
    Now it's true he's terrible in pass protection but you have to believe that's a learned skill.

Ultimately, I fear that DW will be nothing more than a complimentary back. I expect to see Jennings carry the load next season whether or not DW is healthy. I do expect to see Wilson as a contributor in the offense but far below the expectations of a first round pick.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBOWL/BOUND/GIANTS View Post
      man, I just stumbled across these highlights of Flip Wilson from his rookie year and man.. I hope this guys gets to play. You have to remember that the neck injury wasnt something that he felt he couldnt play through.. he wanted to play and the doctors held him out. Even he is still raw, the guy has energy when out there on the field.. if he is healthy and if he gets this new offense down and improves in his pass blocking so he can be on the field more often, I think he light he up in the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbRZHcefD8
      Very good in space, just not able to break initial tackles in the back field. Also needs to improve his blocking skills.

Comment

1.....get healthy and have no issues with the neck. That is the most important thing for him as an individual
        2....hold the ball high
        3....be untilized to his strengths whatever they may be. Up to the OC to figure that out.
        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by DownWitJPP View Post
          looks good on paper, but lets wait and see if they can actually form a decent O-line. If the o-line plays well, I agree theres no more room for excuses
          ESPECIALLY if he cant hold onto the ball.I hold my breatheEVERY time I see him in traffick.Fumble-itis will be his downfall.But I hope not.
          Giant fan since '85

Comment

Originally posted by mikehouse_99 View Post
            ESPECIALLY if he cant hold onto the ball.I hold my breatheEVERY time I see him in traffick.Fumble-itis will be his downfall.But I hope not.
            The problem with having a coach that is obsessed with fumbling to the point where he benches him for games at a time for one fumble.....is that it can ruin a player.
            If he's thinking of "not fumbling" instead of making plays, all the athletic ability is mitigated.
            I fear part of DW's problems have been related to that.
            Coach the kid up in the off season and practices. But you have to let the kid go at some point.

Comment

MS-we'll have to agree to disagree. i think one of Wilsons best traits is his elusiveness. on his longest TD runs, he sets up the Safety, and completely dodges him. He's very shifty and likes to cut back. i dont think elusiveness is the issue. but i do agree with most ur other thoughts (how he will be a complimentary back and how je can still be successful if used right)

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Can he take a hit to the head without a catastrophic issue?
                Will he be able to protect Eli?

You can't deny his speed but can he follow his blocks
                and also get that 3rd and 1 yardage or is he more of
                a specialty back?

I can't answer these questions but I'm sure in time they
                will all be answered.

I just hope the guy stays healthy.
                Neck injury is nothing to mess with
                when you playing this violent game.
                +1. Great post. Not much to add.

We all value his big play ability, but the team is clearly worried about his long term health and the time away from the field won't help his HORRIBLE, and i mean HORRIBLE pass protection.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by danme View Post
                  LOL I saw WLSON fall down quite a few time on shoe string bumps -- It seemed to me and very apparent that Hillis Jacobs and Brown had little to no problems running behind our O-line -- Your argument is Weak -- VERY WEAK -- Wilson is a JOKE as a RB -- He isn't a NFL Caliber RB and Never will be
                  Im sorry but this post is the real joke.

Give the man a chance dude. We all know what state our line was in last year and regardless of what you say it was a complete disaster. Every part of the offense was awful last season, how can you not see this and realize the kid deserves another chance to prove himself?
                  In his rookie season he showed some really nice flashes, and YES he does have power. If you don't think so then you obviously haven't watched him run very closely. Or maybe you judged him only on last years performance, which again, was dreadful on everybodys part....not just his.

Im looking forward for DW to prove all the haters wrong

Comment

Originally posted by DownWitJPP View Post
                    if you say so lol..my opinion is respected on these boards..you are?????

this is super funny

not sure I have seen this used before

...hey man I'm respected here.....hahahah.... nice

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                      How do you like your crow served?
                      I'll sit and patiently wait for your examples of him showing anything but speed ..... ever

here is a list of what a quality NFL running back needs to posses .... most if not all

Vision
                      Patience
                      ability to detect a blitz ... pre snap and post
                      ability to pick up that blitz / blocking skills
                      ball security
                      cuts / change of direction.... directly related to vision
                      speed - blinding speed not necessary
                      hands out of the backfield
                      power

David Wilson possesses almost none of these

beyond break away speed he is borderline useless
                      Last edited by YATittle1962; 03-21-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                        I'll sit and patiently wait for your examples of him showing anything but speed ..... ever

here is a list of what a quality NFL running back needs to posses .... most if not all

Vision
                        Patience
                        ability to detect a blitz
                        ability to pick up that blitz / blocking skills
                        ball security
                        cuts / change of direction.... directly related to vision
                        speed - blinding speed not necessary
                        hands out of the backfield
                        power

David Wilson possesses almost none of these

beyond break away speed he is borderline useless
                        You left out the ability to make dinner for 4 on short notice.

You are so much closer to this than I am and I respect your judgement.
                        For one more year I will display one of your key running back qualities..............patience.
                        I surely won't count on anything but his development would be a nice plus for us.

It is interesting that the Giants got themselves some return guys in FA which is the only area Wilson showed us some flash.
                        That may be a coincidence but it doesn't suggest anything positive about Wilson's health.
                        No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                          MS-we'll have to agree to disagree. i think one of Wilsons best traits is his elusiveness. on his longest TD runs, he sets up the Safety, and completely dodges him. He's very shifty and likes to cut back. i dont think elusiveness is the issue. but i do agree with most ur other thoughts (how he will be a complimentary back and how je can still be successful if used right)
                          Well put it this way....I haven't seen it.

I see speed and I see some power. I haven't seen anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                            You left out the ability to make dinner for 4 on short notice.

You are so much closer to this than I am and I respect your judgement.
                            For one more year I will display one of your key running back qualities..............patience.
                            I surely won't count on anything but his development would be a nice plus for us.

It is interesting that the Giants got themselves some return guys in FA which is the only area Wilson showed us some flash.
                            That may be a coincidence but it doesn't suggest anything positive about Wilson's health.
                            they went out and signed multiple players with hefty return man resumes AND a starting RB

I assure you this is not only based on an injury

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                              Well put it this way....I haven't seen it.

I see speed and I see some power. I haven't seen anything else.
                              when Morehead and I agreed .... lookout!!!!

something wicked this way comes

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                                when Morehead and I agreed .... lookout!!!!

something wicked this way comes
                                I think we disagree on a lot less than you think my friend. I'm just a pain in the *** when we don't agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X