• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
    Except they didn't lowball him.
    The Raiders high balled him.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

As long as he retires a Giant it's all good. He deserves that.
      "Team sports are a different animal. They tap into deep seeded tribal instincts. Our team vs your team used to be our tribe vs your tribe. Winner takes all – land, plunder, women. You inherently care when you are aligned with a tribe/team. The players are interchangeable but team always stays the same." - JOESONDO from UG forum

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
        Except they didn't lowball him.

Semantics aside, the fact still remains that the Giants didn't anticipate him having any "big year", which is why they told him to test Free Agency, made him an offer that was disrespectful (Tuck's words, not mine), and why he ended up in Oakland, making John Mara's words about Tuck disingenuous..... which was my point.
        You actually made my point for me by saying he was offered exactly what he was worth by the Giants, who obviously believed all his "big years" were behind him...........again..........making John Mara's words disingenuous.
        Like I said......don't stack insult on top of insult by stating publicly that you still believe he is capable of having a "big year", when your actions as a front office clearly said the complete opposite.
        I can't imagine that Tuck appreciates Mara trying to come off as Mr Soft Spot Owner at Tuck's expense, especially when he's on a new team!
        "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
          Semantics aside, the fact still remains that the Giants didn't anticipate him having any "big year", which is why they told him to test Free Agency, made him an offer that was disrespectful (Tuck's words, not mine), and why he ended up in Oakland, making John Mara's words about Tuck disingenuous..... which was my point.
          You actually made my point for me by saying he was offered exactly what he was worth by the Giants, who obviously believed all his "big years" were behind him...........again..........making John Mara's words disingenuous.
          Like I said......don't stack insult on top of insult by stating publicly that you still believe he is capable of having a "big year", when your actions as a front office clearly said the complete opposite.
          I can't imagine that Tuck appreciates Mara trying to come off as Mr Soft Spot Owner at Tuck's expense, especially when he's on a new team!
          What's disingenuous? John Mara liked Tuck, he played here for 9 seasons and was a team Captain.

At some point, every player declines and, in Tuck's case, taking into account his age, his performance over the last few years (not always stellar) and the team's taking a hard look at what they have been doing personnel wise, they decided it was time to move on and he could stay with the team at their offer. Tuck decided to take a better financial offer.

Who was hurt here? The team has to look forward, the player has to look at taking care of his family, both have achieved their goals.

John Mara was wishing Tuck all the best, what would you have preferred he do, say "I hope he fails?"

They know it's a business and this is the down side for everyone.
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
            What's disingenuous? John Mara liked Tuck, he played here for 9 seasons and was a team Captain.

At some point, every player declines and, in Tuck's case, taking into account his age, his performance over the last few years (not always stellar) and the team's taking a hard look at what they have been doing personnel wise, they decided it was time to move on and he could stay with the team at their offer. Tuck decided to take a better financial offer.

Who was hurt here? The team has to look forward, the player has to look at taking care of his family, both have achieved their goals.

John Mara was wishing Tuck all the best, what would you have preferred he do, say "I hope he fails?"

They know it's a business and this is the down side for everyone.
            +1
            1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueBoricua View Post
              +1
              Tuck said the Giants disrespected him so clearly he didn't understand it as "just business"'
              Obviously, TUCK wasn't as convinced of Mara's love for him as you all are if he felt that way.
              Those are the words of a bitter man and you don't leave bitterly if you think your owner said and did all the right things.
              But hey......I guess you know TUCK better than he knows himself.
              "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Should have been resigned, still EASILY a top10 4-3 DE in the league and could've been had pretty damn cheap, and now we have a gigantic hole at his spot, not seeing the slightest bit of logic in letting him go, which is the only reason I give our FA period an A-

Comment

at the end of the day the giants made the right call and so did tuck. his age and chance of re injury and age would be too much to take on that kind of number for him. i will say Tuck said our iffer was insulting so ,no i dont think he was happy with the giants offering what they did, going by what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mookskingdom View Post
                    Should have been resigned, still EASILY a top10 4-3 DE in the league and could've been had pretty damn cheap, and now we have a gigantic hole at his spot, not seeing the slightest bit of logic in letting him go, which is the only reason I give our FA period an A-
                    If you believe Tuck, he was offered "pretty damn cheap"
                    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

If you believe Tuck, he was offered "pretty damn cheap"
                      I do believe Tuck and he has played on the Giants dime for two years, at the end of the season he puts in some effort to try and show he still has it but to be a Giant you have to play 100% all the time, not just when you feel like it, sorry, Justin deserved what he got, a trip to the Black Hole where players disappear. Good Luck Justin, but didn't we have a Safety go to the Hole a couple years back, old whats his name
                      Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
                        at the end of the day the giants made the right call and so did tuck. his age and chance of re injury and age would be too much to take on that kind of number for him. i will say Tuck said our iffer was insulting so ,no i dont think he was happy with the giants offering what they did, going by what he said.
                        Yes and yes.

Comment

Tuck was a great Giant but it was time for him to go.

I wonder what upset John Mara more, letting Tuck go or charging his loyal fans PSLs for the privilege of staying loyal? He's a business man. His father was loyal, not him.

Comment

Originally posted by Roswell777 View Post

I wonder what upset John Mara more, letting Tuck go or charging his loyal fans PSLs for the privilege of staying loyal? He's a business man. His father was loyal, not him.
                            Thank you! His loyalty to the fans must be unquestioned. Spending sympathy money doesn't do us any good with on field performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Roswell777 View Post

Wellington Mara knew it was how they would have to fund the new building before he died. Almost half the teams in the NFL have PSLs or their equivalent.

Time has a way of of changing opinion. When Wellington Mara decided to move the team out of NY and to NJ loyal was not a word used to describe him.

Comment

Wellington Mara knew it was how they would have to fund the new building before he died. Almost half the teams in the NFL have PSLs or their equivalent.

Time has a way of of changing opinion. When Wellington Mara decided to move the team out of NY and to NJ loyal was not a word used to describe him.
                                They didn't need a new building this time. In the 70s, they did. But you are correct when you write that Wellington was not portrayed favorably.

That being said, when the Giants decided to charge for the right to buy tickets, only one other team, Dallas, was charging their loyal fans. Let's just call it what it was, a calculated money grab at a time when the economy was brutal.

Comment

Working...
                                X