Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carl Banks scoffs at Clowney-LT comparisons.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another thing that kind of chaps me is how as time passes, some people only think of QB sacks when they think of LT.

    He was an absolutely relentless, devastating run defender as well.



    My favorite part is 3:00+ on 4th and short v. the Bears.

    Also, check out how he attacks blockers (e.g., around 5:00+).....there's a play v. the Redskins where he's got two blockers swinging his way.

    It doesn't matter the scheme, the opponent, the down & distance, etc......if could only choose 1 player on defense, it would be LT, without a doubt.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM.
    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

    "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

    Comment


    • Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
      Another thing that kind of chaps me is how as time passes, some people only think of QB sacks when they think of LT.

      He was an absolutely relentless, devastating run defender as well.



      My favorite part is 3:00+ on 4th and short v. the Bears.

      Also, check out how he attacks blockers (e.g., around 5:00+).....there's a play v. the Redskins where he's got two blockers swinging his way.

      It doesn't matter the scheme, the opponent, the down & distance, etc......if could only choose 1 player on defense, it would be LT, without a doubt.
      This video is awesome. To say that anyone could do that is something I would consider dead wrong. He was a whole body of work. That speed combined with those instincts is insane. He was about 20 years ahead of his time. I know that if I was starting an all time nfl defense, Lawrence Taylor is the first name I am saying. I lol'd when a commentator on there said, there's Lawrence Taylor, as usual.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • Bellichick, parcells, and madden call him the best defender they have ever seen. Those guys have forgotten more about football than we all know. I will just have to agree with them
        sigpic

        Comment


        • Originally posted by sharick88 View Post
          Bellichick, parcells, and madden call him the best defender they have ever seen. Those guys have forgotten more about football than we all know. I will just have to agree with them
          Dont you know those guys are just romanticising him?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
            Another thing that kind of chaps me is how as time passes, some people only think of QB sacks when they think of LT.

            He was an absolutely relentless, devastating run defender as well.



            My favorite part is 3:00+ on 4th and short v. the Bears.

            Also, check out how he attacks blockers (e.g., around 5:00+).....there's a play v. the Redskins where he's got two blockers swinging his way.

            It doesn't matter the scheme, the opponent, the down & distance, etc......if could only choose 1 player on defense, it would be LT, without a doubt.
            Blazing speed and such great vision of play.

            Great Video and excellent point.
            1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

            Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

            Comment


            • A lot of people may not like what I am about to say, but I would put Sean Taylor up in the elite defense category as well. I know he didnt get to play as long as these other greats, but Sean IMO would of been the best safety we ever saw. Better than Lott. His hits were just insane. He was all over the place, could takcle and ball hawk. I remember a few times I would watch him decleat a receiver and strip the ball while they were both in the air. Nasty. He was probably the closest thing to bring the excitment I remember to LT for me since LT retired. And yes, I wanted Kurt Warner to be our QB in 2004 and us to draft Taylor instead of getting Eli.

              But again, LT was on another level.
              WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

              Comment


              • some eerie similarities to LT right here

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGurzBk7QL8

                Comment


                • Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                  some eerie similarities to LT right here

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGurzBk7QL8
                  Derrick Thomas was a tremendous player, no doubt about it.
                  "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

                  "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by BigBlueBoricua View Post
                    Blazing speed and such great vision of play.

                    Great Video and excellent point.
                    When you watch this video you can understand why defenses ran right at LT and not away from him. His backside pursuit was tremendous.
                    Almost all these plays were running away from LT.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                      When you watch this video you can understand why defenses ran right at LT and not away from him. His backside pursuit was tremendous.
                      Almost all these plays were running away from LT.
                      He closed distance on a football field like no one else. Simply put, LT was a force of nature.

                      Comment


                      • This is a great video for all those guys that think LT was just a great blitzing LB. Sure, he had a lot to do with how OTs changed their stance in passing sets, but he was also great against the run.

                        As far as whether he had off games, pretty sure Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan did also.

                        With regards to Derrick Thomas - great player, explosive edge rusher, not as strong or as great a run stopper away from, or at the point of attack, as LT.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BigBlueBoricua View Post
                          Blazing speed and such great vision of play.

                          Great Video and excellent point.
                          THAT is an amazing body of work!
                          No one remembers who came in second.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X