Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carl Banks scoffs at Clowney-LT comparisons.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharick88 View Post
    Clowney is a freak of nature, but lt changed the game. I remember mel kiper called jamarcus russell the next John elway. Lol
    Kiper, he, he, he
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

Thanks Carl !!!!

Comment

Clowney needs to play for 15 seasons, then this comparison can be even considered for discussion. Please.......

Comment

Is Clowney a leader????? Who is Clowney? LT use to threaten everyone on the opposing team . . . . . . .and meant it.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezely View Post
            Is Clowney a leader????? Who is Clowney? LT use to threaten everyone on the opposing team . . . . . . .and meant it.
            "LT was baaad motha ****a"

Comment

Originally posted by Mookskingdom View Post
              "LT was baaad motha ****a"
              Shut your mouth!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My bad MOOKSKINGDOM. That was a Shaft reference and I could not resist!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Breezely View Post
                  My bad MOOKSKINGDOM. That was a Shaft reference and I could not resist!!!
                  Lol no worries, I got the reference XD

Comment

so how do you compare a college player to and NFL great??

was the article really doing that or was it talking potential??
                    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                      The 3-4 was around the NFL for a while before LT.

And while I can't remember a 3-4 team with the linebackers that the Giants had, it was LT that changed the game more than the scheme.

To suggest otherwise is like arguing the Chicago Bulls' success was as much due to the Triangle Offense as Michael Jordan.

Agree 1000%. LT, not the scheme changed football.

Comment

Originally posted by sharick88 View Post
                        He was absolutely the best defensive player I have ever seen. I am 37 and old enough to remember watching him in his prime. My family could not stand the giants, but watching their games with me just to see what he would do next. John madden used to droop over LT, along with a every one else on NFL today.
                        Without a doubt, he was the best ever. I am 68, and I have been watching since I was a kid, and I have seen almost every game the Giants have played during that time on TV, including the old ones on my Dad's B&W 12" RCA. There has never been anyone like LT. Offenses that played the Giants during his time, worked on how they were going to stop him. They knew if they didn't stop him, they weren't going to score.

All I know is, if this was a pick-up game where we got to choose who was on our team, from everyone whoever played, he would be my first choice.

Comment

Physically CLowney is the superior player but no 1 ever played the game as hard and as ruthlessly as Lawrence Taylor. College teams schemed around Clowney but Lawrence Taylor changed how the NFL scouted a whole position
                          Last edited by Redeyejedi; 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                            And I still argue that any pass rushing LB would have forced the same change.

You needed a LT that could block one.

Would a Demarcus ware or Aldon smith or Clay Matthews have been easily blocked by the previous type of LT? No they wouldn't have.

It was a schematic issue as much as Taylor was good.
                            I defiantly understand your argument but I'd argue that LT, and the type so player he was, prompted us to get creative and let him loose. We didn't have the scheme in place and just plugged in a pass rusher. The scheme was created from LT, not the other way around.
                            I believe ware and possibly Matthews would have been good/great players back then but not so much smith. Do I think either of them would have the same effect/impact as LT if they were used instead? Absolutely , positively no.
                            LT wasn't a "good" player who benefitted from a great scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                              And I still argue that any pass rushing LB would have forced the same change.

You needed a LT that could block one.

Would a Demarcus ware or Aldon smith or Clay Matthews have been easily blocked by the previous type of LT? No they wouldn't have.

It was a schematic issue as much as Taylor was good.
                              You should eat a -25,000 posts for saying LT is GOOD. LOL, saying Michael Jordan was MEH is just as ridiculous. Do not insult LT by forcing filthy adjectives when describing him. This board will only accept Great and Greatest...

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                                The 3-4 was around the NFL for a while before LT.

And while I can't remember a 3-4 team with the linebackers that the Giants had, it was LT that changed the game more than the scheme.

To suggest otherwise is like arguing the Chicago Bulls' success was as much due to the Triangle Offense as Michael Jordan.
                                You got it right Joe ! +100

In addition, even when LT was double or even with triple coverage, he was unstoppable, and still put up the same devastation on the field. This was at a time when football was fierce at the LB position, not as it has become now (soft). He had many great contemporaries during the time he played, yet not one could even be considered to match his unstoppable will. Every scheme & coach in the NFL transitioned to defend against him. Hence, history was made.
                                Last edited by BigBlueBoricua; 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X