Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carl Banks scoffs at Clowney-LT comparisons.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JsBigBlue View Post
    To compare Clowney to LT when he hasn't even played one snap in the pro's is just crazy talk. Clowney has a lot to prove in the pro's before his name can even be mentioned or compared with LT's period.

As for those on this board that think LT didn't shed blocks and double team blocks by not only TE's/RB's & Oline guy's and just plain out played and over powered them. Here is your proof. He also did have his hand in the dirt from time to time as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wg30vW2VBs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGZHW88NJ80
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZXKlQG_40E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2CFXgWhV80

Not only did LT sack the QB almost at will, but he forced an insane amount of forced fumble's and also had a lot of run defense tackle's. Oh yeah and don't forget he also had a good number of key interceptions. No other defensive player comes close to his level of play. He was also one of the toughest player's to ever play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoprPqMXxA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k119Ez3BRWY

he was a great player. one of the all time greats but
    he was human on and off the field.

as far as comparing him to a player who has
    not played 1 down in the NFL is laughable.
    sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

• anyone remember Joe Jacoby ?

the big redskins left tackle

anytime he laid his hands on LT ... Lawrence would disappear

on a regular basis Jacoby would push Taylor 7 , 10 , 12 yards out of the play.... so yeah... LT was human

but on the topic...... this kid Clowney has to take a snap first

Comment

• They don't even play the same position, so on that alone the comparison is stupid. It's like comparing a LB to Ronnie Lott. I think the most apt comparison is Julius Peppers or Mario Williams or Jevon Kearse. Similar position, body type, athletic skill set.

Comment

• Originally posted by DINO FLORIDA View Post
          They don't even play the same position, so on that alone the comparison is stupid. It's like comparing a LB to Ronnie Lott. I think the most apt comparison is Julius Peppers or Mario Williams or Jevon Kearse. Similar position, body type, athletic skill set.
          they are not comparing the position or player to player.... they are just claiming that Clowney will have the dominance and affect on the game that no one since Taylor has had

Comment

• Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
            they are not comparing the position or player to player.... they are just claiming that Clowney will have the dominance and affect on the game that no one since Taylor has had
            which of course is completely ridiculous.

and yeah big Joe was a very good player for the skins
            dominant tackle.
            sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

Fair enough, but even the pure dominance thing is a major stretch. Aside from questions about his intensity and work ethic, he is not the first of his kind in terms of skill set, so I don't see him doing anything unprecedented, the way LT did because his size/speed/strength/athleticism at that position had never been seen, hence the dramatic effect. I'm pretty sure JC will be a good player, but there's nothing to suggest he will stand way above the guys I compared him to.

Comment

anyone remember Joe Jacoby ?

on a regular basis Jacoby would push Taylor 7 , 10 , 12 yards out of the play.... so yeah... LT was human

Joe Jacoby was very good no doubt about that, but he also got beat by LT. Goto min 3:39 in the first youtube video part 1 and the same time in the second one part 2 that I showed and see LT and Jacoby. No one is saying anyone is superhuman and any one of them can be beat including Joe Jacoby and friends by LT.
                Last edited by JsBigBlue; 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM.
                " Loser's assemble in little group's and complain about the coaches and the player's in other little group's, but winner's assemble as a team " - Hall of Fame qoute by - Bill Parcells when he was speaking with Wellington Mara about the inscription of Emlen Tunnell's Hall of Fame.

Comment

• http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...oiled-and-lazy

Lt was never call that
                  WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

• Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                    That's because LT was the first real pass rusher from the position he played.

Perhaps you could argue that LT set the ground rules for future pass rushing OLBs.

Either way, I don't really like the argument as a way to argue his greatness.
                    LT is generally accepted as the greatest defensive player in NFL history.

Sorry Slipnot, as I know you like to come of as an authority, but you are just plain wrong.

Comment

anyone remember Joe Jacoby ?

I remember LT doing a number on Jacoby. To the point where they had to slide Bostic out to handle him. In '86 LT owned the Redskins. It was Lachey that gave LT problems and that was after Jacoby was gone, more into early 90s.
                      Last edited by Roswell; 04-14-2014, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• This is taken from an LA Times article Dec. 8, 1986...

It took not one player, but two--All-Pro Joe Jacoby and tight end Don Warren--to try to keep Taylor in check. And he still couldn't be stopped.

Taylor sacked Redskin quarterback Jay Schroeder three times and knocked him on his noggin a half-dozen other times. Schroeder also threw a half-dozen interceptions and finally played like the inexperienced quarterback that he really is.

And later in the same article...

The Giants made it 17-7 early in the third quarter, while Schroeder kept running from Taylor. Taylor kept lining up opposite Jacoby, who is 6-foot-7, 300 pounds and slow. Taylor ran right by him.

Jacoby declined comment after the game, but Taylor said: "On a quarterback that holds the ball a shorter time than Schroeder, I wouldn't have been able to get as many sacks."

Schroeder, who has more than 3,500 passing yards this season, holds the ball a long time because he loves to throw long. To do so, though, he needs good blocking, and nobody blocked Taylor. So the Redskins had to resort to short passes to their running backs. Bryant, for example, caught a career-high 13 passes.

"Why was LT (Taylor) so good? Because he was scared," Carson said. "The guy was nervous. We football players play best when we're scared, and LT was quiet all week. When guys get off to themselves, you have this feeling they'll have good games. Well, LT was quiet."
                        Last edited by Roswell; 04-14-2014, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Finally, to illustrate how Taylor changed the game, let's let two HOF coaches describe him...

This is from an article in the Baltimore Sun, written on Oct 11, 1990...

"He makes you rework everything you're doing and change the whole structure of your offense. In some cases, you might be double-teaming him, and he causes somebody else to get there," Gibbs said.

Giants coach Bill Parcells echoed that theme.

"They put three guys on him a few plays, and most of the time they used two. When you do that, you're giving up other things," he said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            he was a great player. one of the all time greats but
                            he was human on and off the field.

as far as comparing him to a player who has
                            not played 1 down in the NFL is laughable.
                            I agree. +1
                            1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

• Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                              I still dont really like this argument.

The changed the game thing was a schematic issue as much as it was LT.

Put any pass rushing LB (demarcus ware, aldon smith, etc.) in a 34 defense back in the early 80s and teams are going to have to change how they block him.

I think that's the whole point. He changed the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roswell777 View Post
                                Finally, to illustrate how Taylor changed the game, let's let two HOF coaches describe him...

This is from an article in the Baltimore Sun, written on Oct 11, 1990...

"He makes you rework everything you're doing and change the whole structure of your offense. In some cases, you might be double-teaming him, and he causes somebody else to get there," Gibbs said.

Giants coach Bill Parcells echoed that theme.

"They put three guys on him a few plays, and most of the time they used two. When you do that, you're giving up other things," he said.
                                I am not arguing that LT was not one of the absolute best things to ever happen to the game....

but those exact quotes could be spoken about Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, Demarcus Ware , Jared Allen , Deacon Jones, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, Justin Smith etc etc

LT was unbelievable .... one of my all time favorite players to ever suit up in my 50+ years of studying the game

but this super human romanticized unstoppable perfect player has become legend with the notions fed by top 10s and other NFL films and NFL network compilations are built on reality of course... but boosted a bit into fantasy

and of course he beat Joe on occasion.... but there were many times where Joe took him completely out of the play

I remember one specifically in the NFC championship game .... before LT got hurt ... and Joe had a huge round cast on his hand ....

he took LT so far out of the play that he was back pedaling like a corner

I remember being furious because Lawrence was not having a very good game that night and I felt we needed him to win .... but Carl Banks picked up all the slack and looked like the LT we were used to seeing

LT dominated the previous skins game and we all expected him to come out and do the same
                                Last edited by YATittle1962; 04-14-2014, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X