Didnt see this posted already, Looks like the NJ rag is already questioning Eli

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I'm not going to defend this writer as this article does read more like a NY tabloid than a Dave Anderson story, but that's sports news or news in general today.

Since Eli just had surgery it's not as if the writer could obtain the answers just yet, so you throw the questions out there and IF there's a story, you look like a hero simply because you questioned it first.

As for Eli being past his prime; that's not an opinion - It's just a rather simple fact of life in the NFL. It's a young man's game.
    It's opinion. It's not a simple fact of life. A simple fact of life is that Eli will eventually retire. The "when" is not a simple fact of life.

Eli, as you know, is entering his 11th season.

Brady, in his 14th season, just completed a season that, while not his best statistical year, still managed to lead his team to its 3rd consecutive AFC Championship game without Gronkowski for some of the season and without at least 5 of the receivers he had the year before.

Peyton just completed the best season of his career, his 16th year in the league, leading his second team to the 3rd SB of his career.

Breese, in his 13th season, just completed the 3rd best season statistically, into the post season.

Elway won his only 2 SB trophies the last 2 seasons of his 16 year career.

Favre had arguably the best season of his career in his 19th season (it being his only season with a passer rating over 100, and the only season of his career with single digit interceptions--aside from his rookie year when he had 2 interceptions with only 4 pass attempts).

Even Phil Simms had, while not his best statistical season, one of the best seasons of his career in my opinion his last (15th) season, leading the team on to a post season win.

Now before you go full snark on me, I am NOT comparing Eli to any of these QBS. God knows, there've been too many of those threads regarding Eli.

My point is that even though Eli just completed the worst season of his 10 year career, that does not mean, ipso facto, he is now past his prime.

And I don't think it is a coincidence that 2 of the 5 notable QBs I cite above as argument for several more years of quality ball from Eli, are the only 2 QBs in NFL history with more consecutive starts than Eli. His durability is a critically significant component of his career to date.

Comment

Eli isn't dying guys, omg.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
        What you say has merit, but is not the issue in this case, in my view. The issue here is why is a paid (ie, professional) sports "journalist" asking rhetorical questions, of no one in particular, in a public forum about THE key player on his readership's team of interest? As someone else in this thread asked, aren't these questions all of us are asking? Yes, they are. But "all of us" don't have access to individuals--Eli, or a coach, or any official Giants spokesperson--who might actually KNOW the answer to any or all of the questions raised. The writer does (or he should, being that his job includes covering the Giants).

His job, as a sports journalist writing for a New Jersey news publication, presumably includes the shedding of some light and/or perspective on all things Giants related. Instead, in this instance he simply asks questions of no one in particular--just like any of us (amateur and unpaid-to-report) schmoes do here--which has the potential effect of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

The writer then finishes his piece with a definitive "in any case, Eli is past his prime" (or words to that effect). That may or may not be the case. That has certainly been an ongoing topic of debate among fans on this board. But that's the writer's OPINION, an opinion definitely NOT shared by all, whether a fan or a pundit or a coach or other players, former and current. The history of NFL quarterbacks --and the career to date of Eli--reveals no cause for this opinion to be absolute or definitive.

This is a very amateurish article, coming from a respected news publication, that has the smell of yellow journalism covering some local politician embroiled in a scandal, rather than a piece of sports coverage that has some answers about questions we fans might have.

This has nothing to do with any double standard in discussing Eli, or with any defensiveness by "Eli homers" as has been hinted at in this thread by others.

THAT's the "big deal".
        The only difference between media "journalists" and us is they get paid for their thoughts/effort.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
          The only difference between media "journalists" and us is they get paid for their thoughts/effort.
          Well some of them shouldn't get paid.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by krankeybluechick View Post
            Well some of them shouldn't get paid.
            The problem in the internet age is speed. Everyone wants to be "first" with the "story" which leads to a lot of piss poor articles and mis-information.
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

The problem in the internet age is speed. Everyone wants to be "first" with the "story" which leads to a lot of piss poor articles and mis-information.
              Well put

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                He should have sought outside medical advice.
                Then this would be behind him and he'd be back to being fast.
                He might find his locker missing a uniform on gameday if he does that though.

Comment

After establishing a stellar reputation for over a decade in the NFL, playing hurt and never missing a start, Eli is suddenly being portrayed as a man who is being deceitful about his injuries and a huckster trying to pass off phoney football memorabelia as authentic for profit!
                  Is this some kind of two pronged attack by Eli haters? First stage , beat into the ground that he's not a top teir QB and that he'll never be Peyton and now stage two....charachter assassination?
                  "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

It's opinion. It's not a simple fact of life. A simple fact of life is that Eli will eventually retire. The "when" is not a simple fact of life.

Brady, in his 14th season, just completed a season that, while not his best statistical year, still managed to lead his team to its 3rd consecutive AFC Championship game without Gronkowski for some of the season and without at least 5 of the receivers he had the year before.

Peyton just completed the best season of his career, his 16th year in the league, leading his second team to the 3rd SB of his career.

Breese, in his 13th season, just completed the 3rd best season statistically, into the post season.

Favre had arguably the best season of his career in his 19th season (it being his only season with a passer rating over 100, and the only season of his career with single digit interceptions--aside from his rookie year when he had 2 interceptions with only 4 pass attempts).

Even Phil Simms had, while not his best statistical season, one of the best seasons of his career in my opinion his last (15th) season, leading the team on to a post season win.

Now before you go full snark on me, I am NOT comparing Eli to any of these QBS. God knows, there've been too many of those threads regarding Eli.

My point is that even though Eli just completed the worst season of his 10 year career, that does not mean, ipso facto, he is now past his prime.

And I don't think it is a coincidence that 2 of the 5 notable QBs I cite above as argument for several more years of quality ball from Eli, are the only 2 QBs in NFL history with more consecutive starts than Eli. His durability is a critically significant component of his career to date.
                    This is all very very true.
                    I don't see any evidence that Eli is in "decline." Or Eli is past his prime or regressing.

He had an awful season and he needs to play better.
                    That's it. I'm not trying to make it sound easy as 1,2,3, but some need to look at things objectively.
                    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                      It is an opinion. It can't become fact until Eli's career is over. Look at Tony Romo - he had one of his best seasons last year at the age of 33. Peyton Manning had his best season last year at the age of 37. Philip Rivers, supposedly "done" coming into 2013, had one of his best seasons as well.

There is no set age for the inevitable drop-off in talent, it can happen at any time. Until it can be proven, it is opinion only.
                      Yes ok, perhaps it's a bit premature to say he's past his prime at 33, but it's a bit difficult to suggest he's actually in his prime as well.

Comment

none of this talk of Eli's ankle surgery would be a problem for any of us except for the fact that he is coming off a disastrous season and now this opens the door for more speculation...

Comment

I was speaking physically and in general terms of a football career. Just look at our current roster - we have six guys over the age 30, Eli being of course one, and Josh Brown and Steve Weatherford being two others.

Comment

We are naive if we blindly think that the age and production of Eli is not of at least some concern.

Comment

Post of the day.

Comment

this may come as a shock to some here, but Eli should not be questioned. he has done it before and came back with better numbers , he cant help an injury and he cant help getting older. its all part of it. its the gm's job to prepare for that day,.

Comment

Working...
                                X