Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to expect with this offense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • sheepdip
    started a topic What to expect with this offense

    What to expect with this offense

    I expect basics and pound the ball. Kind of the opposite of Killdrive. He only ran when he HAD to.

    I am looking forward to seeing Jennings pound the ball on opposing teams to give us a rushing attack, give us more balance on offense and take some pressure and heat off Eli which should cut down on his INT's.

    Draft I am hoping we land Lewan and a stud guard in the second and later in the draft a center.

    Man smash mouth football !!!

  • BlueSanta
    replied
    Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    "smash mouth" would refer to the O line and the blocking schemes more than it would any particular RB
    I do agree and almost all of the example I have given are teams use heavy packages including a TE(actually tight to the line) and a fullback in their basic offense. They also employ the same zone blocking scheme that Vince Lombardi used....

    That's pretty damn smash mouth if you ask me.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 05-01-2014, 09:58 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlueSanta
    replied
    Originally posted by Gimaniac View Post
    1. You keep offering teams that have had success running the football as the definition of smash mouth, asking me to explain it.
    2. I tell you that it's pointless because smash mouth is an approach, not a set of results.
    3. You deny saying it.
    4. Then you say it again.
    5. Then you ask me to stop correcting your grammar, which I have only done once, and apologized for.

    And around you go with your circle of demetia.

    I offer you specific definitions of West Coast and Smash Mouth as talking points.

    You offer another round of the circle jerk.

    I understand now that these terms are old. People, such as yourself, have taken great liberties to redefine them in order to shoehorn them into the current era or meet their particular needs for the day. As the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. I will be changing my definitions on an hourly basis, so try and keep up.
    How have I redefined anything I asked a simple question like 5 times that you refuse to answer?


    Do you consider the Broncos of the 90's smash mouth?

    Do you consider the current 49ers smash mouth?

    Do you consider the Jets smash mouth?

    I can continue the list, but I already have and you keep ignoring it.


    Just answer please and stop trying to turn this onto me.

    Your avoidance ofthe question has become comical. Its not a circle jerk because you wont answer a simple question.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 05-01-2014, 07:58 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • jomo
    replied
    Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    "smash mouth" would refer to the O line and the blocking schemes more than it would any particular RB
    ....................and especially not our QB!

    Leave a comment:


  • YATittle1962
    replied
    "smash mouth" would refer to the O line and the blocking schemes more than it would any particular RB

    Leave a comment:


  • DandyDon
    replied
    Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post
    how quickly people forget Jacobs and Ward were BOTH 1000 yard rushers in 2008...when Gilbride was the OC..
    Yup. And you kind of need a decent o-line to do that.

    Leave a comment:


  • Drez
    replied
    Originally posted by Gimaniac View Post
    1. You keep offering teams that have had success running the football as the definition of smash mouth, asking me to explain it.
    2. I tell you that it's pointless because smash mouth is an approach, not a set of results.
    3. You deny saying it.
    4. Then you say it again.
    5. Then you ask me to stop correcting your grammar, which I have only done once, and apologized for.

    And around you go with your circle of demetia.

    I offer you specific definitions of West Coast and Smash Mouth as talking points.

    You offer another round of the circle jerk.

    I understand now that these terms are old. People, such as yourself, have taken great liberties to redefine them in order to shoehorn them into the current era or meet their particular needs for the day. As the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. I will be changing my definitions on an hourly basis, so try and keep up.
    I fail to understand why you believe that those two are mutually exclusive.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gimaniac
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Ill repeat myself AGAIN, since you refuse to answer a very simple question


    How do you explain the 49ers? They are smash mouth and west coast.

    How do you explain the Jets? They are both

    Or the Chiefs?

    Or the Broncos of the 90's?

    How do you explain Green Bay last year?

    Again, you said a team cannot be BOTH west coast and smash mouth.....Those were YOUR WORDS. So if any 1 of these examples fit the criteria of being both then your statement was incorrect.

    So please, stop correcting grammar. Stop trying to redefine words, stop trying to give incorrect and overly simple definitions of the west coast system.

    Just answer the question? How come there are so many examples of teams that are BOTH smash mouth and west coast if the 2 cannot exist together by definition(again, YOUR words)
    1. You keep offering teams that have had success running the football as the definition of smash mouth, asking me to explain it.
    2. I tell you that it's pointless because smash mouth is an approach, not a set of results.
    3. You deny saying it.
    4. Then you say it again.
    5. Then you ask me to stop correcting your grammar, which I have only done once, and apologized for.

    And around you go with your circle of demetia.

    I offer you specific definitions of West Coast and Smash Mouth as talking points.

    You offer another round of the circle jerk.

    I understand now that these terms are old. People, such as yourself, have taken great liberties to redefine them in order to shoehorn them into the current era or meet their particular needs for the day. As the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. I will be changing my definitions on an hourly basis, so try and keep up.

    Leave a comment:


  • mercurio
    replied
    An offense that uses its players strengths against opponent's weaknesses. Can adjust to changes in defensive schemes. Mixes up plays so they are unpredictable knowing that the pass can set up the run as well as vice versa. Throws in an occasional surprise play. Reuse plays that work for big gains later in games.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlueSanta
    replied
    Originally posted by Gimaniac View Post
    Well, when you're down to you 3rd string QB, I'd probably do the same. Especially, if I had Eddie Lacy on my team.

    But I digress.

    West coast offense emphasizes the short pass, opening up the run and long ball.
    Smash mouth football emphasizes the run, opening up the play action pass.

    It doesn't matter what your ranking is at the end of the year, or if your back is powerful or not, or whether he smashes people in the mouth when he runs. What matters is your approach at getting the defense to react that defines you.


    Ill repeat myself AGAIN, since you refuse to answer a very simple question


    How do you explain the 49ers? They are smash mouth and west coast.

    How do you explain the Jets? They are both

    Or the Chiefs?

    Or the Broncos of the 90's?

    How do you explain Green Bay last year?

    Again, you said a team cannot be BOTH west coast and smash mouth.....Those were YOUR WORDS. So if any 1 of these examples fit the criteria of being both then your statement was incorrect.

    So please, stop correcting grammar. Stop trying to redefine words, stop trying to give incorrect and overly simple definitions of the west coast system.

    Just answer the question? How come there are so many examples of teams that are BOTH smash mouth and west coast if the 2 cannot exist together by definition(again, YOUR words)

    Leave a comment:


  • Drez
    replied
    Originally posted by Gimaniac View Post
    Well, when you're down to you 3rd string QB, I'd probably do the same. Especially, if I had Eddie Lacy on my team.

    But I digress.

    West coast offense emphasizes the short pass, opening up the run and long ball.
    Smash mouth football emphasizes the run, opening up the play action pass.

    It doesn't matter what your ranking is at the end of the year, or if your back is powerful or not, or whether he smashes people in the mouth when he runs. What matters is your approach at getting the defense to react that defines you.
    WCO is a codified offensive system that has formed many different variants and philosophies. Smashmouth is a subjective nomenclature normally attributed to particular style of play, but isn't in of itself and actual offensive system. The two are not mutually exclusive.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gimaniac
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
    That would be a good point , IF Green Bay was not smashmouth last year. But they were. Eddie Lacy is a power back who tore holes in defenses.
    Well, when you're down to you 3rd string QB, I'd probably do the same. Especially, if I had Eddie Lacy on my team.

    But I digress.

    West coast offense emphasizes the short pass, opening up the run and long ball.
    Smash mouth football emphasizes the run, opening up the play action pass.

    It doesn't matter what your ranking is at the end of the year, or if your back is powerful or not, or whether he smashes people in the mouth when he runs. What matters is your approach at getting the defense to react that defines you.

    Leave a comment:


  • giant-4-life
    replied
    well a running game opens the passing game which, keeps defenses honest

    Leave a comment:


  • Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Yeah, because Frank Gore and Anthony Dixon shouldent be categorized as Smash mouth and neither should Ryan Grant, James Starks, and Eddie Lacy, right? Santaman is right on. Those teams are both smash mouth run game with west coast passing game. Only difference is the pass sets up the run more so then the run setting up the pass.
    Thats it. It may be also considered lower risk.

    I really believe Eli will benefit more than anyone
    as its a faster pace and he can get into a sustained
    rythmn,

    Leave a comment:


  • JayMas9
    replied
    Originally posted by Gimaniac View Post
    Actually you did, here is one example.

    "Green Bay was 1 of the best rushing teams in the NFL last year."

    You're equating running success with smashmouth.
    Did you watch how Eddie Lacy ran last year?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X