Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...ntry-1.1771486

Excerpt: "The quarterbacks room at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center may need a few extra chairs this season. They'll at least need them for the upcoming Organized Team Activities (OTAs) and minicamp.

The Giants have spent most of coach Tom Coughlin's tenure with just two quarterbacks on his roster. Right now, after signing former Titans QB Rusty Smith, the Giants have five, two fresh off surgery.

Smith joins the recently signed Josh Freeman, the recently re-signed Curtis Painter and last year's fourth-round pick Ryan Nassib in the competition for the backup job. And then, of course, there is starter Eli Manning, who underwent an ankle procedure earlier this month and isn't expected to be a full-go until training camp.

No matter how much he gets on the field this spring, Manning's going to be the Giants' starting quarterback. He's still the franchise QB making $17.5 million this season. You don't pocket that type of cash to sit on the bench.

As long as he's healthy -- and everything seems to indicate he will be fine come camp -- Manning won't face any serious challenge for his job. The real competition will be for the backup job.

Now at this point, we can only assume what the offense will look like under new coordinator Ben McAdoo. The Giants haven't taken it on a field yet. They're still in the learning mode.

But based on Manning's comments last week that it's McAdoo's offense and it resembles the Packers' scheme, it's probably safe to assume the Giants will be running a West Coast-heavy system this season. That needs to be taken into consideration when trying to handicap the backup competition. Short, quick passes will be the norm. Accuracy will be the key.

As it stands right now, here's my take on the chances for each quarterback to be Eli Manning's primary backup when the season begins in September.

QB: Ryan Nassib

Why: The Giants selected him in the fourth round last year. It's uncommon to give up on a fourth-round pick after one year, especially after the new offensive coordinator only had a few months to work with him. Nassib will be given every opportunity to win and earn the backup spot behind Manning ... if he doesn't get traded. Fortunately, the new offense should work in his favor.

Odds to Win Job: 50%" Read more...
    My gut tells me Josh Freeman will be the back up....

Comment

Right now, it all depends on Nassib. If he's ready to go as a backup, he will be the backup. If not, Freeman gets the job and we keep Nassib as a QB3. I can't see Painter surviving cuts at all... as bad as Freeman was in 2013, he wasn't anywhere near as derpy as Painter has been. I'm still kinda surprised Painter beat out Carr last year (although I think that's because Carr's vet min pay scale was getting too high due to accrued seasons...)

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

As long as it is not Painter it doesn't matter who it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
          No I'm talking about the guy who had 26 TDs 16INTs and a 96 QBR for a full season 3 yrs ago............Eli's highest QBR ever was 91

Feel free to make up some BS retort

LOL
          Freeman would be fine as a back up. I was referring to your statement that him being here would put pressure on Eli. I am 100% confident that Josh Freeman being here won't put any extra pressure on Eli. He is no threat to take over the job.

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
            It makes for interesting, if not amusing conversation. But, I agree, so far we have seen nothing from any of the potential backups to think they would be much as starters. But, I am hoping Nassib takes a big leap forward and wins the backup job.

Nassib showed less than nothing last preseason against 2nd string defenses. Just because we drafted him with the 4th pick that we traded up for last yr does not mean that he makes the team this yr. At this point he is not worth a roster spot.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurio View Post
              Nassib showed less than nothing last preseason against 2nd string defenses. Just because we drafted him with the 4th pick that we traded up for last yr does not mean that he makes the team this yr. At this point he is not worth a roster spot.
              Historically, the Giants keep their draft picks for several years before letting them go. Nassib would really have to stink things up this offseason to lose his roster spot. Most likely he remains with the team.

Comment

It would be good if Nassib beat out Freeman, but it's not the end of the world for him if he doesn't either. The longer Nassib has to learn, the better I say. It would be great for them both if they were neck and neck competing hard all season long. That will push Eli too...well it should anyway.

If these guys want to make a difference for this team they should both try to out-work Eli.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimaniac View Post
                  Historically, the Giants keep their draft picks for several years before letting them go. Nassib would really have to stink things up this offseason to lose his roster spot. Most likely he remains with the team.
                  What he did last year was really stink things up. If he doesn't show vast improvement this preseason he is probably gone. Its not like he showed Eli's potential in college.
                  Last edited by mercurio; 04-30-2014, 12:34 AM.

Comment

What he did last year was really stink things up. If he doesn't show vast improvement this preseason he is probably gone. Its not like he showed Eli's potential in college.
                    He didn't even see the field after preseason. Painter was the one that stunk up the joint in relief of Eli.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                      He didn't even see the field after preseason. Painter was the one that stunk up the joint in relief of Eli.
                      If the team had faith in either of them, they wouldn't have added 2 more qbs.

Comment

If you are trying to establish the air apparent then it becomes real important, with two years left on Eli's contract and the Potential that Nassib could be his replacement, while a long shot should be considered and I think giving him a 50-50 chance is prettying reasonable.

Comment

and you get that opnion from what game film???
                          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

If the team had faith in either of them, they wouldn't have added 2 more qbs.
                            wrong again....they always have 4 even 5 QBs in camp. Bessides Eli is out for a bit too and Painter. Thas wht Rusty was brought in
                            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                              and you get that opnion from what game film???
                              His horrible performance in preseason games. He was outclassed and lost against 2nd string D.

Comment

His horrible performance in preseason games. He was outclassed and lost against 2nd string D.
                                anything he did do well or poorly last season is of no value. He got almosy no snaps at all. The decided to give Painter the lions share. We really have zero clue on what Nassib may or may not be.

Comment

Working...
                                X