Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Omaha and the Mike?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    Mike has nothing to do with any particular system

    it is identifying the Mike backer... which is not necessarily the MLB.... it is just the "free man " to be picked up in the particular blocking scheme that is in place on that particular down

    and Omaha is not really system based either .... simply a cadence call to alter the call to go on one

    both are universal football calls
    after all this talk about Omaha over the years here on the boards and hearing several other QBs use it how come people still dont know what it means and why do they think its a "tell" for the opposing defense?
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
      Mike has nothing to do with any particular system

      it is identifying the Mike backer... which is not necessarily the MLB.... it is just the "free man " to be picked up in the particular blocking scheme that is in place on that particular down

      and Omaha is not really system based either .... simply a cadence call to alter the call to go on one

      both are universal football calls
      I'm trying to think back to when first heard a QB identify the Mike, and I really don't remember anyone before Eli. I'm sure Peyton must have been doing it though.

      Not all system or QB's do it the extent that we have and it will be somewhat interesting to see how these things change if at all.
      Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

      Comment


      • #18
        GIANTS IN DA HOUSE !
        1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

        Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
          I'm trying to think back to when first heard a QB identify the Mike, and I really don't remember anyone before Eli. I'm sure Peyton must have been doing it though.

          Not all system or QB's do it the extent that we have and it will be somewhat interesting to see how these things change if at all.
          really??...I would have thought QBs been doing this for a long long time. Wow....I camt believe its a recent call out.
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
            Mike has nothing to do with any particular system

            it is identifying the Mike backer... which is not necessarily the MLB.... it is just the "free man " to be picked up in the particular blocking scheme that is in place on that particular down

            and Omaha is not really system based either .... simply a cadence call to alter the call to go on one

            both are universal football calls
            i feel like i read somewhere that the Center is responsible for the line protections on field in the GB offense. If that came over with McAdoo, do you think the Walton or whoever we have starting at center will be the one identifying the Mike for the rest of the line?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Mercury View Post
              He will still call out "Omaha," only now it will mean something completely different! OOH, how mysterious and secret. And once defenses starts to figure it out, they will switch it over to "Talahassee."
              Brooklyn ! Queens ! Bronx !
              1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

              Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by gurujot View Post
                Well he has to say mike when he points out which LB is the mike on that play and Omaha lets everyone know hes about to snap when hes short on time. I might be a bit off on Omaha but Im pretty sure thats why he yells those.
                Where is written that he has to call the mike, "mike."

                What if he simply called the mike, "jomo"? Now that would have a certain ring to it and would be hysterical.
                No one remembers who came in second.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jomo View Post
                  Where is written that he has to call the mike, "mike."

                  What if he simply called the mike, "jomo"? Now that would have a certain ring to it and would be hysterical.
                  It is written in the Book of Harumph
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    It is written in the Book of Harumph
                    Just trying to build my brand RF, me and Victor.........we've got brand to think about!
                    No one remembers who came in second.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by jomo View Post
                      Just trying to build my brand RF, me and Victor.........we've got brand to think about!
                      I support both efforts. For you, I would suggest you consider "Barcelona" and "Ferdinand"
                      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        I support both efforts. For you, I would suggest you consider "Barcelona" and "Ferdinand"
                        ........as my new first or last name?

                        Ferdinand Jomo is a mouthful. Have you run this by a focus group?
                        Isn't a single word name more hip, like Pele or Beyonce or Jomo?
                        No one remembers who came in second.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by jomo View Post
                          ........as my new first or last name?

                          Ferdinand Jomo is a mouthful. Have you run this by a focus group?
                          Isn't a single word name more hip, like Pele or Beyonce or Jomo?
                          You forgot Liberace...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Roswell777 View Post
                            You forgot Liberace...
                            There are plenty more: Sting, Cher, etc.
                            Do not feed the trolls.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Mercury View Post
                              There are plenty more: Sting, Cher, etc.
                              Spartacus, Madonna and my personal favorite, Hodor.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
                                I'm trying to think back to when first heard a QB identify the Mike, and I really don't remember anyone before Eli. I'm sure Peyton must have been doing it though.

                                Not all system or QB's do it the extent that we have and it will be somewhat interesting to see how these things change if at all.
                                that is because most of the time it was the centers responsibility

                                in todays NFL most franchise QBs make protection calls

                                Brady, Brees, Ben, Peyton, etc

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X