Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO and the NFL have narrowed down the HARD KNOCKS teams to Bears, Giants, Steelers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jomo View Post
    This thread has left me thinking about how little information we get on our team. My starting point is that I don't want us on the show. Coaches have too much to do in too little time to be pulling punches while the cameras are rolling.

That said the announcement about Painter's operation rattles me. Our presumed backup QB has his knee operated on in May and we are just hearing about it with NOTHING about when and how he injured it? We know NOTHING about Nassib's development and very little about everything else on this team. I realize we can't (shouldn't) tip our hand especially on injuries to the competition. That said, we get prescious little info on our beloved team other than finely polished bla, blah, blah from veterans about giving 110% or shaking off last year etc. I want more about personnel and their development and their ability to help the team short and long term. I want to hear from coaches much more and less from players. I really think that it is this substantial void of quality information that has many of you here wanting us to be on Hard Knocks.
    Interesting post. Good insight to the whole miasma of this Hard Knocks topic.

I still hope Giants aren't targeted for the show, however. There's always the chance we dodge the bullet by outlasting the HBO contract with the NFL, especially if the current one is not renewed by HBO when the time comes. One can dream.

Comment

• i'm pretty sure they won't pick the giants as theres no sense picking a team thats owners would be peeved. I'd love to see it though. What fan woulden't?

Comment

• I'd watch it. At least its substance.
        2017 Mock Draft

1st: Forrest Lamp, OG Western Kentucky
        2nd: Caleb Brantley, DT Florida
        3rd: Gerald Everett, TE South Alabama
        4th: Dont'a Foreman, RB Texas
        5th: Damontae Kazee, CB San Diego State
        6th: KD Cannon, WR Baylor
        7th: Jalen Reeves-Maybin, LB Tennessee

Comment

• Originally posted by rainierjef View Post
          T.V ratings, Ad revenue based on viewers if each break time slot has space for 3-4 ads on a primetime showing on an international channel like HBO, then you're talking what approx. 10-20 mill for add space if thats an hour slot and you break it up in to 4 segments thats 12-16 ads per show so 40-80 Mill per show in ad space. then there is a monetary compensation on ratings not sure how that pans out. so if its a 12 series show, on ads alone thats 480-960 Mill. I am sure there is a percentage profit that goes to the NFL and the participating team, once again not sure how that pans out.

just approx. but you can see how that adds up, no wonder why it was voted, money talks but never walks and thats why you have this dilemma of teams not stepping up to volunteer even though they voted pro HK.
          Except there is no advertising on HBO, so not sure how you're remarks relate to the Hard Knocks show.

HBO in conjunction with NFL Films presumably pays a contacted rights fee to the NFL for the right to film a team for each season's show. As of right now, I've seen no terms of the contract --length, or rights fee--NFL and HBO renewed in June 2013 (I've looked). Both sides seem to want that detail unrevealed, at least for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbsp7 View Post
            https://twitter.com/LooneyonFox/stat...71588507779072

‏@LooneyonFox
            HBO and the NFL have narrowed down the HARD KNOCKS teams to a list of three: Bears, Giants, Steelers
            oh. no.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

• Originally posted by nycsportzfan View Post
              i'm pretty sure they won't pick the giants as theres no sense picking a team thats owners would be peeved. I'd love to see it though. What fan woulden't?
              You're right. I can't WAIT to watch the final episode, when the final roster cuts are made and the loser players walk the death march into the coach's office with their playbook--KNOWING that means they didn't make the final cut. Fun times. Just watching that disappointed look on their faces makes the show worthwhile, don't you agree?

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
                Except there is no advertising on HBO, so not sure how you're remarks relate to the Hard Knocks show.

HBO in conjunction with NFL Films presumably pays a contacted rights fee to the NFL for the right to film a team for each season's show. As of right now, I've seen no terms of the contract --length, or rights fee--NFL and HBO renewed in June 2013 (I've looked). Both sides seem to want that detail unrevealed, at least for now.
                Look at it this way...The HBO subscriptions would skyrocket if the Giants were featured on hard knocks.
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

You're right. I can't WAIT to watch the final episode, when the final roster cuts are made and the loser players walk the death march into the coach's office with their playbook--KNOWING that means they didn't make the final cut. Fun times. Just watching that disappointed look on their faces makes the show worthwhile, don't you agree?
                  Actually that part would be heartbreaking. But to get a glimpse, (and that's all it would be) of the inner workings of TC running a camp would be awesome TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    Look at it this way...The HBO subscriptions would skyrocket if the Giants were featured on hard knocks.
                    Not likely. Not more than for most other teams, except maybe than if Jags are forced to do the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                      I see this as purely en entertainment feature
                      The league is an entertainment feature... TV shows like Hard Knocks are merely an extension of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        Actually that part would be heartbreaking. But to get a glimpse, (and that's all it would be) of the inner workings of TC running a camp would be awesome TV.
                        Yes, but that heartbreaking aspect IS a part of the show. It's beyond heartbreaking to me. It's kind of cruel. And completely unnecessary, in my view. It's one of the many reasons why Mara and Coughlin are not enthralled with the idea of their team being on the show, I'm sure.

I won't watch it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                          The league is an entertainment feature... TV shows like Hard Knocks are merely an extension of that.
                          Or a perversion of it.

Comment

• I would not like the GMen to be involved, but if mandated, How can I not watch it ??? I cannot be a one dimensional hypocrite. Many of us would not be able NOT to watch it out of sheer Love of our TEAM and curiosity. C'mon men.....and ladies.....I just don't think it should be mandatory.
                            1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

Not likely. Not more than for most other teams, except maybe than if Jags are forced to do the show.
                              You DO realize that NY is the largest TV market....Right?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBlueBoricua View Post
                                I would not like the GMen to be involved, but if mandated, How can I not watch it ??? I cannot be a one dimensional hypocrite. Many of us would not be able NOT to watch it out of sheer Love of our TEAM and curiosity. C'mon men.....and ladies.....I just don't think it should be mandatory.
                                And that's the core of the debate on this thread. It should not be mandatory.

Sorry, but I don't agree with your premise of hypocrisy. I'm an NFL fan. I'm a Giants fan. For 45 years. Not watching or wanting to watch Hard Knocks--with or without my team in it--does not make me (or anyone else sharing that point of view) a "one dimensional hypocrite".

Not being a creepy fanboy who wants to watch the players in the showers and snapping towels in the locker room does not make me a one dimensional hypocrite.

I'm a fan of the game itself. I like watching (and rooting for) players on my team to make plays. Beyond what the team itself is willing to share with the public, I have no desire to be the fly on the wall that overhears players and coaches in meetings and on the practice field or a player's problems off the field or at home.

Just like the players enjoy having fans but don't really want to be friends with specific fans.

There's a line between being a fan and being a voyeur or a stalker.

Anyone who wants to watch that hyped circus called Hard Knocks, fine. Free country and all that.

I just believe that a team that does not want to participate and subject itself to that narcissistic exercise should not be forced to. I also believe it's curious and telling that so few teams have wanted to do the show that collectively many of those same teams voted to force themselves to do it.

I think, however, it's presumptuous to label any Giants fan who has absolutely no interest in watching the show (even with the Giants) as being a one dimensional hypocrite. If anything IS hypocritical, it is to not like the show and/or not want the Giants to perform in it, but then watch the show because the Giants are in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X