Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO and the NFL have narrowed down the HARD KNOCKS teams to Bears, Giants, Steelers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not like we are heavy favorites for the Super Bowl and doing hard knocks might cast some evil mojo on us.

I would prefer we get it over with now --- I myself would watch every minute and I'm surprised the NFL doesn't require more inside access to training camps overall. It's a great show IMO and it's not like we have a bunch of controversy coming into the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie1 View Post
      Would hate it if the Giants were picked, but then again, get it over with, and move on. Better to do it now when we still have a good core of players on the team, and a no BS coach that won't put up with the cameras if he feels they are getting too close...
      On the other hand, if we dodge the bullet this off season, and make the post season in 2014, we buy at the very least two more years until 2017 before being considered for the show. And if Coughlin retires after the 2016 season, we have at least until 2018 (because of new HC in 2017). Then, who knows? Maybe the multi year contract HBO signed for the show will have expired by then..............yeah, baby!

Comment

hard knocks is a joke. Hope it stays away from the Giants
        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
          On the other hand, if we dodge the bullet this off season, and make the post season in 2014, we buy at the very least two more years until 2017 before being considered for the show. And if Coughlin retires after the 2016 season, we have at least until 2018 (because of new HC in 2017). Then, who knows? Maybe the multi year contract HBO signed for the show will have expired by then..............yeah, baby!
          If they appeared on the show they'd get a ten-year exemption.

Comment

Then one of those owners that voted for forcing Hard knocks on every team should ****ing well volunteer, or be forced, to participate. I f Mara was in fact the only owner to vote no, Giants should be the last team to be considered for it.
            Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. The owners are all bound by the majority votes, including Mara. A lot of the NFL owners don't care that their own coaches and players don't like being on Hard Knocks, so I doubt they care if Mara doesn't want the Giants on Hard Knocks.
            One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
              Of course they would. Who would want to watch Hard Knocks Arizona Cardinals?
              I would, they are a pretty damn good team with some interesting guys like Fitz, Peterson, Mathieu and Dockett.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                Why should one team get preferential treatment? Same rules for all.

As for the team putting on a superior show on the field - there is no evidence to suggest that being on the show hurts a team's chances.
                Who's talking preferential treatment?

There's only one team at a time that will be filmed, right? I'm just suggesting (if you're objective about it, you wouldn't find it unreasonable) that for the first few years, the eligible teams of owners who voted "yes" to this put their money where their mouth is and volunteer--or be "volunteered") to do the show.

Why on earth should the ONE team (if in fact Mara was the lone "no" vote) be the first forced team to do the show? That's the OPPOSITE of preferential treatment. That's targeting-as-punishment treatment.

Comment

If it doesn't involve Mark Sanchez in a headband, count me out
                  sigpic

Comment

Giants sure would make the best story for this year's show. My guess is that Mara will ask Goodell the personal favor of not picking the Giants. If Rooney has no problem with it, we'll see the Steelers. Otherwise, it will be the Bears.
                    sigpic

Comment

There's only one team at a time that will be filmed, right? I'm just suggesting (if you're objective about it, you wouldn't find it unreasonable) that for the first few years, the eligible teams of owners who voted "yes" to this put their money where their mouth is and volunteer--or be "volunteered") to do the show.

Why on earth should the ONE team (if in fact Mara was the lone "no" vote) be the first forced team to do the show? That's the OPPOSITE of preferential treatment. That's targeting-as-punishment treatment.
                      If you're the NFL and all you care about is spreading the brand why would you pass on the Giants just because Mara doesn't want it? The Giants are one of the league's historic and popular franchises, they have a large fan base and they play in the country's biggest media market. From the league's standpoint, that's win-win across the board.

Mara's made his feelings clear for years that he doesn't want the Giants on Hard Knocks, but the rest of the owners decided to put a rule in place to force teams to do the show if no one volunteered. The writing is on the wall that the Giants are eventually going to be forced to do it, whether it's this year or down the road.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
                        Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. The owners are all bound by the majority votes, including Mara. A lot of the NFL owners don't care that their own coaches and players don't like being on Hard Knocks, so I doubt they care if Mara doesn't want the Giants on Hard Knocks.
                        I don't look at things as they are and ask "why?"...... I see things that never were and ask "why not?". (apologies to RFK)

Comment

The final tally of votes has never been revealed, it's only that Mara came out and said how he voted.

As for it being the opposite of preferential treatment, I disagree. A rule was established and all teams instantly fell under it. To instantly give one team an exemption is unfair on the other 31 teams in the League. Doing so would undermine the credibility of the rule, and give other opponents of the rule's instigation an easy way of getting out of the show.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...l-fall-meeting

I don't think its about blatant rebellion anymore, if it was voted then the team has to participate, we don't know what the fine is, but honestly its for revenue and product recognition of the shield so, if goodell were to impose a punishment of picks in future drafts…" do not say he can't do it he is the commissioner he can enforce any punishment to counter act negligence of voted policies ( see… Adam Silver) then I will unpack those cameras for them.

I am not an advocate of hard knocks, but if this one is written in stone then they should not challenge it if the price is steep.
                            Last edited by rainierjef; 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
                            @Katdaddyjay 17h
                            @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
                            http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Comment

I don't look at things as they are and ask "why?"...... I see things that never were and ask "why not?". (apologies to RFK)
                              Well, in this case you have to look at things as they are. The Giants don't get an exemption from Hard Knocks just because Mara doesn't want the team on it. The NFL owners made that clear when they passed the Hard Knocks rule to force teams to be on it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                                The final tally of votes has never been revealed, it's only that Mara came out and said how he voted.

As for it being the opposite of preferential treatment, I disagree. A rule was established and all teams instantly fell under it. To instantly give one team an exemption is unfair on the other 31 teams in the League. Doing so would undermine the credibility of the rule, and give other opponents of the rule's instigation an easy way of getting out of the show.
                                It's simple arithmetic, not "preferential treatment", to go with another team. And by the way, by rules of the vote, 24 teams are already exempted from the show this year.

By principles of arithmetic, 7 more (of 8 eligible teams this year) will be given exemptions from doing the show.

I'm suggesting the Giants be one of seven instead of one of one. How is that "preferential treatment"?

As I said, not participating this year would be the opposite of preferential treatment.
                                Last edited by gmen46; 04-29-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X