Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO and the NFL have narrowed down the HARD KNOCKS teams to Bears, Giants, Steelers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
    It's simple arithmetic, not "preferential treatment" to go with another team. By principles of arithmetic, 7 of 8 teams this year will be given exemptions from doing the show.

I'm suggesting the Giants be one of seven instead of one of one. How is that "preferential treatment"?
    Granting an exemption to one team that fulfilled the requirements for mandatory selection would definitely be affording it preferential treatment.

How would it be fair on the other seven teams in the selection pool? How would it be fair on the teams that have actually pulled their weight and made the playoffs during the last two seasons?
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 04-29-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
      It's simple arithmetic, not "preferential treatment", to go with another team. And by the way, by rules of the vote, 24 teams are already exempted from the show this year.

By principles of arithmetic, 7 more (of 8 eligible teams this year) will be given exemptions from doing the show.

I'm suggesting the Giants be one of seven instead of one of one. How is that "preferential treatment"?

As I said, not participating this year would be the opposite of preferential treatment.
      on what grounds would they be exempt?
      the do not have a new head coach
      and they have not made the playoffs in the last 2 years
      and they have not participated before
      those are the stipulations of exemption.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
      @Katdaddyjay 17h
      @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
      http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Comment

I wonder if a lot of us petitioning/voting for the Bears to be on Hard Knocks would work?

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
          I wonder if a lot of us petitioning/voting for the Bears to be on Hard Knocks would work?
          I doubt it, but they're my pick to make the show this year. They have a large fan base and a solid core of players young and old. They have some strong personalities like Brandon Marshall on board as well.

I'd be quite interested to see what Jay Cutler is like behind the scenes.

Comment

From a TV/money standpoint it would make sense for the NFL to put the Giants on. Recently won a Super Bowl though coming off another poor season, lots of new faces and a new offensive system. I would not want the Giants to be on Hard Knocks because of these reasons. They're going to be practicing their new system giving the opposition a competitive advantage. Didn't JJ Watt say a few years back he got the Dolphins cadence off Hard Knocks which he used to have a monster game?

Comment

I have already resigned to the fact that we are going to be on the show. The NFL has to be asking itself how many chances left it has to get TC on the show. We become WAY less attractive the moment he retires, which could happen any year now.

I do not like it, I just think it is going to happen. No insult to either the Steelers or Bears, which imho are 2 other "good" franchises but I just think we have a 2x superbowl winning coach, from a famous couching tree, who is known to run a very hard camp, and is likely not going to be in the NFL for a whole lot longer. Its the biggest draw.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingcap88 View Post
                If you're the NFL and all you care about is spreading the brand why would you pass on the Giants just because Mara doesn't want it? The Giants are one of the league's historic and popular franchises, they have a large fan base and they play in the country's biggest media market. From the league's standpoint, that's win-win across the board.

Mara's made his feelings clear for years that he doesn't want the Giants on Hard Knocks, but the rest of the owners decided to put a rule in place to force teams to do the show if no one volunteered. The writing is on the wall that the Giants are eventually going to be forced to do it, whether it's this year or down the road.
                One year at a time
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by rainierjef View Post
                  on what grounds would they be exempt?
                  the do not have a new head coach
                  and they have not made the playoffs in the last 2 years
                  and they have not participated before
                  those are the stipulations of exemption.
                  By virtue of not being the one chosen, those 7 teams--whoever they will be--are de facto "exempted" from doing the show this year.

Comment

From HBO's standpoint, I would think that a team that was openly hostile, has a strong 'old school' coach and could promise HBO that they would get the phrase, 'no comment' a million times would be a very poor choice.

If Mara couldn't stop it (and I certainly believe he could) he damn well could try to wreck it.
                    Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
                      I have already resigned to the fact that we are going to be on the show. The NFL has to be asking itself how many chances left it has to get TC on the show. We become WAY less attractive the moment he retires, which could happen any year now.

I do not like it, I just think it is going to happen. No insult to either the Steelers or Bears, which imho are 2 other "good" franchises but I just think we have a 2x superbowl winning coach, from a famous couching tree, who is known to run a very hard camp, and is likely not going to be in the NFL for a whole lot longer. Its the biggest draw.
                      very strong points

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                        Granting an exemption to one team that fulfilled the requirements for mandatory selection would definitely be affording it preferential treatment.

How would it be fair on the other seven teams in the selection pool? How would it be fair on the teams that have actually pulled their weight and made the playoffs during the last two seasons?
                        If other teams don't object, which seems to be the case, or even volunteer for the additional scrutiny, why force a team that simply isn't interested?

The object of the show, which I've never seen, is to chronicle a team's training camp experience. As long as any of the 32 teams agrees to participate, it would seem the letter and spirit of the agreement are being fulfilled.
                        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Delicreep View Post
                          From HBO's standpoint, I would think that a team that was openly hostile, has a strong 'old school' coach and could promise HBO that they would get the phrase, 'no comment' a million times would be a very poor choice.
                          It's filmed in a fly-on-the-wall style, they don't have a host walking around asking players and coaches questions.

Hostility would only make it easier for the producers to create storylines.

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                          If other teams don't object, which seems to be the case, or even volunteer for the additional scrutiny, why force a team that simply isn't interested?
                          Because that's the rule.

It'd be like a team asking if they could exceed the salary cap because they don't like the limit that's been set.
                          Last edited by Flip Empty; 04-29-2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Because that's the rule.
                            So we could conceivably not have to participate for another 30 years then?

Comment

It's filmed in a fly-on-the-wall style, they don't have a host walking around asking players and coaches questions.

Hostility would only make it easier for the producers to create storylines.
                              It's mostly achieved through creative editing, same as any "reality" show...

It'd be like a team asking if they could exceed the salary cap because they don't like the limit that's been set.
                              I just don't get how 75% of the owners can be on board with continuing hard knocks while nobody wants to actualy volunteer and be the team to be filmed. A bunch of hypocrites. The eligibility of "being volunteered" should have been one rule: If the owner voted yes, your team can be conscripted. Simple as that. You'd have a lot less voting in favor if that was the case...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                                It's mostly achieved through creative editing, same as any "reality" show...

I just don't get how 75% of the owners can be on board with continuing hard knocks while nobody wants to actualy volunteer and be the team to be filmed. A bunch of hypocrites. The eligibility of "being volunteered" should have been one rule: If the owner voted yes, your team can be conscripted. Simple as that. You'd have a lot less voting in favor if that was the case...
                                It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

Working...
                                X