Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oline !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Like Beatty or not I think we invested too much in him to give up so soon. My real issue is that I'm not sold on Walton at center
    I haven't given up on Beatty. I just don't want the front office COUNTING on him.
    No one remembers who came in second.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by jomo View Post
      He is of course part of the problem and not part of the solution imo.
      He is going to surprise you this season
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by jomo View Post
        I haven't given up on Beatty. I just don't want the front office COUNTING on him.
        We don't really have much a choice, were already stuck dumping all that money into a position, in the midst of that were gonna invest a #12 pick into the same position? Other areas are going to suffer greatly from a mistake like that

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by jomo View Post
          That is true but you can't just cherry pick the last 2 years and ignore what happened before that. It can be summed up as follows: "very little and often injured in his first 3 years in the league". So we've got one very good season out of five and I say, the front office better not count on a guy with a .200 batting average, coming off a mentally weak season punctuated by a serious injury.
          Fair enough but I guess you are also willing to pay Beatty's salary for the life of his contract so the Gaints don't have to take any cap hits or pay him obscene sums of money to warm the bench. When you or someone else with the means does that then talk to me about cutting/benching him in favor of a rookie Left Tackle who'll likely not be Lewan who suddenly may not be available at the 12th spot of this year's draft due to his stock rising rapidly.

          Originally posted by Mookskingdom View Post
          We don't really have much a choice, were already stuck dumping all that money into a position, in the midst of that were gonna invest a #12 pick into the same position? Other areas are going to suffer greatly from a mistake like that
          Yup.
          Last edited by repeatchamps; 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM.
          Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post
            Fair enough but I guess you are also willing to pay Beatty's salary for the life of his contract so the Gaints don't have to take any cap hits or pay him obscene sums of money to warm the bench. When you or someone else with the means does that then talk to me about cutting/benching him in favor of a rookie Left Tackle who'll likely not be Lewan who suddenly may not be available at the 12th spot of this year's draft due to his stock rising rapidly.



            Yup.
            The deal is this. We need to play the best players and we need to find the best mix we can afford within the salary cap. Nowhere in there did I say we have to play the guys who make the most money. Russell Wilson is the third highest paid quarterback on the Seattle Seahawks right now. Should they be playing the guys who make more? Of course not. Now, the Beatty contract which is an unmitigated disaster obviously presents us with a problem because it makes money more scarce to field a strong team. Playing a guy just because of his contract however is a formula for losing. This is a meritocracy and we need a much better LT in 2014. The good news is that Beatty set such a low bar last year that we can upgrade there without adding another big contract. We are also fully budgeted for rookies so that is not an issue if we choose to go for a LT in the first round. It is all good..........
            Last edited by jomo; 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM.
            No one remembers who came in second.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jomo View Post
              The deal is this. We need to play the best players and we need to find the best mix we can afford within the salary cap. Nowhere in there did I say we have to play the guys who make the most money. Russell Wilson is the third highest paid quarterback on the Seattle Seahawks right now. Should they be paying the guys who make more? Of course not. Now, the Beatty contract which is an unmitigated disaster obviously presents us with a problem because it makes money more scarce to field a strong team. Playing a guy just because of his contract however is a formula for losing. This is a meritocracy and we need a much better LT in 2014. The good news is that Beatty set such a low bar last year that we can upgrade there without adding another big contract. We are also fully budgeted for rookies so that is not an issue if we choose to go for a LT in the first round. It is all good..........
              I agree with all of this, and yet something tells me that the team wants their 37 million dollar man to produce. That's not to say they won't draft one high but at least we have camp competition to hopefully get the right mix of linemen on the field for 19 or 20 games
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                He is going to surprise you this season
                You know my position here...............I always HOPE for the best. However, we had better not be PLANNING on him helping us because the contrary data and evidence on him are too strong imo. With the huge egg he laid last year (and only one good year in the previous 4) I would be skeptical going into this year BEFORE the injury, which aparently was a serious one.
                Last edited by jomo; 04-30-2014, 04:36 PM.
                No one remembers who came in second.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Captain Chaos View Post
                  Like Beatty or not I think we invested too much in him to give up so soon. My real issue is that I'm not sold on Walton at center
                  Nobody should be sold with Walton. Walton is a big gamble considering the amount of money he was given as well.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    For Will beatme I think if they make the line stronger around him he will be less of a liability. What he needs to do is put on upper body mass.
                    Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                      For Will beatme I think if they make the line stronger around him he will be less of a liability. What he needs to do is put on upper body mass.
                      Once he's done that he will need to grow a pair. (was that mean?)
                      No one remembers who came in second.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I think Zack Martin is the pick at 12. He can play OG or OT his rookie year.

                        Mike Mayock thinks Martin is underrated by most and might actually go in the top 10:

                        http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                          I think Zack Martin is the pick at 12. He can play OG or OT his rookie year.

                          Mike Mayock thinks Martin is underrated by most and might actually go in the top 10:

                          http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...2014-nfl-draft
                          I thought the same thing to until this article came out. Now, I think this is a smoke screen. Or maybe, the Giants want other teams to think its a smoke screen. For the love of God, draft day needs to happen already...

                          http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...iants-favorite

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I'm thinking that the Giants may have some trade interest at 12 . Teams like the 49ers have a ton of picks and they would love a WR. If only 1 QB goes through the top 11 picks teams will be climbing all over themselves to get in front of the Rams to get Bortles. I think the Giants can get a swap of their 1 plus a 2 and 4 for their pick. Get a Lineman late in 1st and a TE and WR in the 2nd Center in the 3rd or 4th

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by sethm View Post
                              I'm thinking that the Giants may have some trade interest at 12 . Teams like the 49ers have a ton of picks and they would love a WR. If only 1 QB goes through the top 11 picks teams will be climbing all over themselves to get in front of the Rams to get Bortles. I think the Giants can get a swap of their 1 plus a 2 and 4 for their pick. Get a Lineman late in 1st and a TE and WR in the 2nd Center in the 3rd or 4th
                              Sign me up for that sethm.
                              No one remembers who came in second.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I think the versatility of Pugh will come in handy, and lets say we draft someone like Martin, his versatility will help also. If Beatty comes back and sucks again, we can go ahead with Martin at LT and Pugh at RT. Lets say Martin does well in LT and Beatty comes back, but Martin is doing so well you dont want to disrupt it, you move Beatty to RT, keep Martin at LT and move Pugh to RG. Or if Beatty comes back and plays well at LT, you dont want to move Pugh from RT, so you move Martin to RG.

                                Drafting an olineman round 1 basically covers our arse just incase Beatty doesnt come back and/or he sucks when he does come back. If Beatty comes back and kills it, then were left with a plethora of olineman and i could see Snee becoming more of a coach for the younger guys.

                                But as of right now we have 3 question marks still on the oline with Beatty coming off a broken leg/a miserable 2013, Snee coming off 2 hip surgeries and i believe an elbow surgery as well, and Walton who hasnt played in 2 years.

                                Either way you look at it, Giants have to draft ATLEAST 1 olineman in one of the 1st 3 rounds and probably looking at atleast 2 olineman drafted throughout the whole draft

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X