• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIANTS' COUGHLIN REFUSES TO MEET WITH TIKI BARBER

GIANTS' COUGHLIN REFUSES TO MEET WITH TIKI BARBER

"Tiki Barber tried to set up a meeting with Tom Coughlin in an attempt to
    repair their relationship, but the Giants coach opted not to meet with his
    former player.

Barber, the Giants’ all-time leading rusher, had been critical of Coughlin’s
    coaching style since he retired after the 2006 season.

"We tried (to set up a meeting). He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice
    president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said on ESPN Radio.

"But one of these days I'm sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals
    all wounds. And I think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their
    dislike of me at times, know that I was one of the guys that put (it) on the
    line every time I put on my uniform."

Barber attempted to make a comeback in the NFL this year, but only received a
    workout from the Dolphins and they opted not to offer him a contract. The
    36-year old said he has now given up on a return.

“No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me
    to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged
    in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally,
    and that's all that matters in life."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' COUGHLIN REFUSES TO MEET WITH TIKI BARBER

Tiki didn't want to make a comeback? Do you think he really believes that?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

That's right! Coughlin has no time for distractions right now on the verge of a Superbowl run. They're already preparing for the 49ers. WOOT!

I have no comment for Tiki. I still respect what he did on the field. The off-field stuff was his problem and still is.

Comment

He outsmarted himself after leaving. A litany of bad decisions has left him grasping at straws. Que seda seda.

Comment

I've got to say that I am still a huge fan of Tiki Barber. The dude used to have more than 50% of the total yards on a consistent basis. Barber was the best Giant back that I have ever seen. I am only 29, but he has outplayed all the Giants that I have seen when I was really young: Ottis Anderson, Rodney Hampton, etc. Tiki has made mistakes, but who hasn't? Love that guy!

Comment

Tiki is a pathetic waste of humanity.

The Giants are on a playoff roll and he wants to meet with TC now?? What a self absorbed idiot. Does he think that that is the most important thing in TC's world?

Wait about 10 years and get yourlife together and maybe a class act like TC will give you an audience.

No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]GIANTS' COUGHLIN REFUSES TO MEET WITH TIKI BARBER

"Tiki Barber tried to set up a meeting with Tom Coughlin in an attempt to
              repair their relationship, but the Giants coach opted not to meet with his
              former player.

Barber, the Giants’ all-time leading rusher, had been critical of Coughlin’s
              coaching style since he retired after the 2006 season.

"We tried (to set up a meeting). He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice
              president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said on ESPN Radio.

"But one of these days I'm sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals
              all wounds. And I think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their
              dislike of me at times, know that I was one of the guys that put (it) on the
              line every time I put on my uniform."

Barber attempted to make a comeback in the NFL this year, but only received a
              workout from the Dolphins and they opted not to offer him a contract. The
              36-year old said he has now given up on a return.

“No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me
              to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged
              in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally,
              and that's all that matters in life."

[/quote]

i've always said Tiki has the right to say whatever he wants.

he also has to live with what he said.

it must suck to not really have the kind of access to your former team that almost everyone has in broadcasting.

i remember alot of media types supporting tiki's outspoken comments. They certainly don't have much to say now that he's barely hanging onto a broadcasting career.
              sigpic

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]Tiki didn't want to make a comeback? Do you think he really believes that?
                [/quote]

He might. That still doesn't mean it's true though.

Comment

I've been harsh on Tiki, I mean, first he announces retirement mid season and then leaves with plenty of productive years ahead of him, but that's his own prerogative, and then he mocks Eli's leadership abilities and Coughlin's coaching. He was wrong for doing that.

However, I've gotten over it. He is an all time Giants great, and I think after a period of time he should be cheered again. He was too good for this organization while he was in uniform to continue to be booed over a couple of comments that came after retirement. It's kind of embarrassing in a way.

Comment

haha. Tiki-tacky

Comment

I don't think he said he didn't want to comeback he is simply saying he will stop trying now and some good came out of him trying. Tiki said some things but overall it was hyped up by fans and the media.

Also we see to produce what tiki did as a rb is not so easy. He was a giant all time great.

Comment

Tiki got what he deserved... sitting idly by as the Giants won the Super Bowl without him.

Comment

[quote user="jomo"]

Tiki is a pathetic waste of humanity.

The Giants are on a playoff roll and he wants to meet with TC now?? What a self absorbed idiot. Does he think that that is the most important thing in TC's world?

Wait about 10 years and get yourlife together and maybe a class act like TC will give you an audience.

[/quote]

A bit harsh, but understand the sentiment.

I'm actually a little pissed off that he'd even ASK to meet with Coughlin considering all that TC has on his plate right now. One wonders if he's TRYING to become a distraction again.

Unbelievable. . .yes, wait 5 years and then ask again when the season is OVER. . .Putz.

Comment

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]Tiki didn't want to make a comeback?* Do you think he really believes that?
                            [/quote]

Not for a second....That's bs he spewed was him just trying to save face.

I actually got a good chuckle when I read it.
                            "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

Tiki wrote a book, and said that Tom Coughlin killed his love of the game. From what I know about Tom Coughlin that was probably the most insulting and hurtful thing a player ever said about him. On top of that, they have a season to play. Tiki can call him in the off season and I am sure he'll sit down and talk with him, but it's not the off season. Get real Tiki.

Comment

Working...
                              X