Giants History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants History

My great uncle, Butch Gibson, played for the Giants from 1930 to 1935. I've always been a fan (which isn't easy when you live in Dallas!) and want to get a jersey with his number on it. The problem is, I can't find his number anywhere in my research. Did they even HAVE numbers back then? Any ideas where else I could search? HELP! and GO BIG BLUE!!

Re: Giants History

look on the history roster of the team,on the giants website or email the giants or twitter and ask pat hanlon

Comment

He played guard beside Mel Hein. Thats cool man.
      www.pro-football-reference.com doesn't begin recording numbers until 1950. Wonder if they did wear #'s in 1934.

Comment

Tried the history rosters - no luck. But will e-mailo Pat Hanlon. Thanks!

Comment

[quote user="legalass"]My great uncle, Butch Gibson, played for the Giants from 1930 to 1935. I've always been a fan (which isn't easy when you live in Dallas!) and want to get a jersey with his number on it. The problem is, I can't find his number anywhere in my research. Did they even HAVE numbers back then? Any ideas where else I could search? HELP! and GO BIG BLUE!![/quote]

I think this is him....will do some more research in the next few days...same number as Phil

Comment

Well they did have numbers then. This pic is from the "sneakers game" in '34.

Comment

[quote user="fourth&forever"]Well they did have numbers then. This pic is from the "sneakers game" in '34. [/quote]

Good call F and F....they were wearing numbers when Butch played

Comment

I found an old pic of him, but he was just wearing a dark t-shirt. I'm beginning to think they didn't have numbers. FYI - His brother, my grandfather, had a heart attack and died while watching the Giants back in 1970. When I say we bleed blue, WE BLEED BLUE!!

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"]

[quote user="fourth&forever"]Well they did have numbers then. This pic is from the "sneakers game" in '34. [/quote]

Good call F and F....they were wearing numbers when Butch played

[/quote]
                  I see an "11" in this picture too.

Comment

Thanks! Ya'll are the greatest. Can't wait to wear my new jersey on Super Bowl Sunday when I watch them earn another ring!!

Comment

Working...
                    X