Eli Manning and the "Moving Goal Post" Fallacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eli Manning and the "Moving Goal Post" Fallacy

Eli has faced the logical fallacy of "The Moving Goalpost" from everyone his whole career, he's always been good, and yes NOW he? is Elite, but he'll always face this controversy: "The Moving Goalpost" =
    A method of denial arbitrarily moving the criteria for “proof” or acceptance out of range of whatever evidence currently exists. If new evidence comes to light meeting the prior criteria, the goalpost is pushed back further – keeping it out of range of the new evidence.

Compliments of the cheatingenius07

Re: Eli Manning and the "Moving Goal Post" Fallacy

-cheatinggenius07, youtube, "Is Eli Manning An Elite Qb?

Comment

The reality is, its the same as anything else. People don't want the truth, they want a narrative. The media gave us a great narrative, Peyton is the confident superstar, Eli is the awkward, timid little brother. Eli lives in his brother's shadow. People like that story so much, that they still cling to it if it isn't true anymore.

Comment

[quote user="jhamburg"]The reality is, its the same as anything else. People don't want the truth, they want a narrative. The media gave us a great narrative, Peyton is the confident superstar, Eli is the awkward, timid little brother. Eli lives in his brother's shadow. People like that story so much, that they still cling to it if it isn't true anymore.[/quote]

I would say this, but I'm not sure this is the case this year. All this past week I've heard the question "Who do you pick, Peyton or Eli?" and a surprisingly large number of people said they would choose Eli. I think people are finally starting to realize that he is an elite QB, and they cant simply write him off anymore.

Comment

[quote user="ErnieReese"]Eli has faced the logical fallacy of "The Moving Goalpost" from everyone his whole career, he's always been good, and yes NOW he? is Elite, but he'll always face this controversy: "The Moving Goalpost" = A method of denial arbitrarily moving the criteria for “proof” or acceptance out of range of whatever evidence currently exists. If new evidence comes to light meeting the prior criteria, the goalpost is pushed back further – keeping it out of range of the new evidence. Compliments of the cheatingenius07[/quote]

Who cares....Go win on Sunday.

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

[quote user="lnp12"][quote user="jhamburg"]The reality is, its the same as anything else. People don't want the truth, they want a narrative. The media gave us a great narrative, Peyton is the confident superstar, Eli is the awkward, timid little brother. Eli lives in his brother's shadow. People like that story so much, that they still cling to it if it isn't true anymore.[/quote]

I would say this, but I'm not sure this is the case this year. All this past week I've heard the question "Who do you pick, Peyton or Eli?" and a surprisingly large number of people said they would choose Eli. I think people are finally starting to realize that he is an elite QB, and they cant simply write him off anymore.
            [/quote]

Im at the point where i dont care what people think or the fake fan say about him. Im more worried about life after eli now.. aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. dear god....

Im truly greatful eli chose NYG.. I seee all these team struggling to even fimd a decent one.. We have a great qb... us fan watch him more than the regular espn fools.

Comment

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="ErnieReese"]Eli has faced the logical fallacy of "The Moving Goalpost" from everyone his whole career, he's always been good, and yes NOW he? is Elite, but he'll always face this controversy: "The Moving Goalpost" = A method of denial arbitrarily moving the criteria for “proof” or acceptance out of range of whatever evidence currently exists. If new evidence comes to light meeting the prior criteria, the goalpost is pushed back further – keeping it out of range of the new evidence. Compliments of the cheatingenius07[/quote]

[/quote]

I love Eli and I think he is on ef the best QBs in the league. I dont think he is the best. I dont look at stats. I look at games. The only stat I may take into account is completion %.

But thats cool with me......I hope he is the best this Sunday. I hope the Giants as a TEAM are the best this Sunday.

One game at a time

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

[quote user="GameTime"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[/quote]

I love Eli and I think he is on ef the best QBs in the league. I dont think he is the best. I dont look at stats. I look at games. The only stat I may take into account is completion %.

But thats cool with me......I hope he is the best this Sunday. I hope the Giants as a TEAM are the best this Sunday.

One game at a time

[/quote]

The off season (or preferably, after his career) is a nice time to talk about such things. Right now I'm far more interested how he'll deal with Justin Smith and the 49er secondary.

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

[quote user="ErnieReese"]Eli has faced the logical fallacy of "The Moving Goalpost" from everyone his whole career, he's always been good, and yes NOW he? is Elite, but he'll always face this controversy: "The Moving Goalpost" =
                  A method of denial arbitrarily moving the criteria for “proof” or acceptance out of range of whatever evidence currently exists. If new evidence comes to light meeting the prior criteria, the goalpost is pushed back further – keeping it out of range of the new evidence.

Compliments of the cheatingenius07[/quote]Seemed that way to me. Nice point/post.
                  Peace,
                  DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Comment

[quote user="GameTime"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[/quote]

*I love Eli and I think he is on ef the best QBs in the league. I dont think he is the best. I dont look at stats. I look at games. The only stat I may take into account is completion %.

But thats cool with me......I hope he is the best this Sunday. I hope the Giants as a TEAM are the best* this Sunday.

One game at a time

[/quote]

Completion % is a terrible stat, it just favors teams that run a lot of screens and slants and don't throw deep balls. There's no substitute for watching games, but yards/attempt is by far the best stat to judge QBs by.

Comment

Not saying you're point isn't valid, but I truly believe Eli is going to measure his success this Sunday by whether the Giants are the winners of the game or not. I'm good with that.

Comment

It's almost like an artist. I think when the sun sets on Eli's career, and everyone looks back on it, there will be a lot of "wow.....really?"

Comment

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[/quote]

+1

Past throwing up really gaudy stats that's the way you define yourself as elite: win championships.

If Eli wins the superbowl this year, I think he's comfortably in that category ... but it will be based on gutsy play ... not because he looks pretty doing it.
                          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Wow you guys are over the top.

While most make valid points. The point of this forum is to discuss, debate, and have a good time.

Otherwise we would be sitting here looking at blank screens. If you like that, knock yourself out.

Unless it is of course based on what you guys deem ok to talk about.
                            Peace,
                            DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Comment

[quote user="DragonSoul"]Wow you guys are over the top.

While most make valid points. The point of this forum is to discuss, debate, and have a good time.

Otherwise we would be sitting here looking at blank screens. If you like that, knock yourself out.

Unless it is of course based on what you guys deem ok to talk about.[/quote]

No offense meant, DS. I'll go on record as saying that I think, up to this point in his career, Eli has had to do a little more to get equal recognition with a few other QB's. But I believe the goal posts have been planted firmly now. I hope that is the case.

Comment

Working...
                              X