Question for older Giants/Football fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for older Giants/Football fans

I'm a relatively young fan who never got a chance to see Phil Simms, LT, Banks, etc... play. I was always very curious how they were perceived during their time, and what you all thought about their play.

The 80s sounded like the Golden Age of sports, especially for football, when the rules made it difficult for QBs to be prolific.

So, can you guys tell me about Simms? What type of QB was he? Anybody today you can compare him to?

Also, what about Elway? How was it like when Simms when up against Elway?

I just need to know! I need perspective here as a young fan. All I keep hearing is how great these guys were, but all I know are the guys I see now.

Thanks!

Re: Question for older Giants/Football fans

There were some great football during that decade.

LT was the best player I have ever saw, he was by far the greatest defensive player that has ever played this game.

Banks was a great player, he was the prototype strong side linebacker.

Simms was a great Giant, he was tough, resilient, smart, a leader.

That beating you saw Eli take against the 49ers last Sunday, Simms took that almost every game of his career. Those were the days you can kill a qb.

To this day, I don't think any qb has played a better game then Simms did in super bowl XXI. He was perfect. 22 for 25 with 2 dropped passes.

I don't like comparing players to todays game, different rules.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Comment

Over his career in the head to head vs. Elway, Simms outplayed Elway and won the majority of the time. He never lost to Elway in fact. Giants lost to Denver for the first time in years in 1992 but that was with Hostetler at QB.
      Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

[quote user="ny06"]

LT was the best player I have ever saw, he was by far the greatest defensive player that has ever played this game.

That beating you saw Eli take against the 49ers last Sunday, Simms took that almost every game of his career. Those were the days you can kill a qb.

To this day, I don't think any qb has played a better game then Simms did in super bowl XXI. He was perfect. 22 for 25 with 2 dropped passes.

I don't like comparing players to todays game, different rules.**

[/quote]

Agreed for the most part...but you're definately exagerating on the beatings Simms took. He took some serious beatings but not like that on a weekly basis.
        My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. Always wanted to see those guys live. Never saw many of the Giants' greats, and never saw the greats all around the league at the time.

Makes me envious as a fan.

Comment

[quote user="ErnieReese"]I'm a relatively young fan who never got a chance to see Phil Simms, LT, Banks, etc... play. I was always very curious how they were perceived during their time, and what you all thought about their play. The 80s sounded like the Golden Age of sports, especially for football, when the rules made it difficult for QBs to be prolific. So, can you guys tell me about Simms? What type of QB was he? Anybody today you can compare him to? Also, what about Elway? How was it like when Simms when up against Elway? I just need to know! I need perspective here as a young fan. All I keep hearing is how great these guys were, but all I know are the guys I see now. Thanks![/quote]

Get yourself the 10 greatest Giants games DVD. Watch the 1986 games and the 1990 games as well. You will see how overpowering the Giants defense was. You will see LT, Banks, Johnson, Reasons, Carson and the rest of the big blue wrecking crewand how superior they were physically and athleticallyto the opposing offense. The poster who replied to you first is correct about Simms. He took a beating like Eli took Sunday 95% of the games he played. This really was the first game I have seen Eli have to deal with what Simms dealt with and hang in there as Simms did. The era is so different now and the QB hits are less. All these guys have it easy compared to what guys like Simms went through. Montana also took a beating at times mainly against us, lol, and if you watch the 1986 49-3 game as well as the 1991 NFC Title game you will see hilacious punishment being dished out to both QB's moreso Montana in those games but you get the point.

Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

[quote user="burier"][quote user="ny06"]

I don't like comparing players to todays game, different rules.**

[/quote]

Agreed for the most part...but you're definately exagerating on the beatings Simms took. He took some serious beatings but not like that on a weekly basis.[/quote]pretty close-plus Phil had nobody to throw to-except Bavaro

Comment

get your hands on a copy of Super Bowl 21, Simms was absolutely off the charts that day

also, Simms excelled at throwing in the windy Meadowlands ... he really had a perfect spiral

now with LT, i bet there are some great clips of LT on youtube ... check him out ... he changed the way defence is played

Comment

I was in H.S. when Simms retired, but I remember he wasn't by any means a "Golden Boy" of a player. He's a model of hard work and grit. Elway was a golden boy.

Phil Simms had many difficult years early on, and it seemed like by the time he actually got respect, his career was over. I remember thinking, "OK, now we can get a great QB!" But the lesson was hard that those don't come around to every team all the time. We missed #11 when he was gone.

LT, on the other hand, was a star from Day 1. I often wonder how I became a Giants fan when my dad was (and still is) a Jets fan, and all I can think about was watching that guy play, and how other teams had to play in fear of his talents.

Comment

[quote user="ErnieReese"]I'm a relatively young fan who never got a chance to see Phil Simms, LT, Banks, etc... play. I was always very curious how they were perceived during their time, and what you all thought about their play.

The 80s sounded like the Golden Age of sports, especially for football, when the rules made it difficult for QBs to be prolific.

So, can you guys tell me about Simms? What type of QB was he? Anybody today you can compare him to?

I just need to know! I need perspective here as a young fan. All I keep hearing is how great these guys were, but all I know are the guys I see now.

Thanks![/quote]

Simms was a game manager because that was the team he played on. The Giants were a team that pounded the ball with their rb's and relied on their sick defense to carry them. As others have said, he was one tough SOB that took beatings all the time. Didn't have the talent of Eli, but you knew he'd take a licking and keep on ticking.

LT was the greatest football player I've ever seen play. He was a man playing among boys. Nobody could stop him.

One of the players you didn't mention who deserves mention is Bavaro. That guy would catch balls and then carry three to four guys on his back and get an additional 5-10 yards. He wasn't as athletically gifted as the tight ends of today, but the man was an absolute BEAST.

Comment

Simms was slow to start - definitely had his share of boos. Wasn't a scrambler (used to personally refer to him as The Turtle) but hung back in the pocket and rarely made an effort to scramble out of it. I remember seeing him and Parcells go at it on the sidelines. Can you imagine Eli and TC screaming at each other in front of everyone? His shining moment was SB 21 where he was near perfect. He was a 'Parcells guy' just like L.T. Which brings me to:

L.T.: What can I say, There are more than enough youtube videos which had montages of his greatest plays/hits. It wasn't the same as watching it unfold on live tv. The guy was ferocious. The way his stood across the line (not crouched down, but stood) eyeing the QB like a lion getting a whiff of fresh meat was frightening. I remember that opposing OCs had to make serious adjustments just because of him. He always went after the ball. Always attacked. He hit hard, but clean - however, if you have to stomach to watch that infamous game when he broke Joe Theismann's leg you'll see how God-awful upset he was after that.

I mean...what more can you say about a guy who was voted to 10 consecutive pro bowls since he was a rookie?

There's a great clip of him and Carl Banks in the 'True Blue' video (which chronicles the 1990 season). They're sitting on a bench together on the sidelines after whooping the Bears in the divisional game 31-3 and they were headed to SF (the infamous game to end the 3-peat) and the camera caught them in conversation. LT had his arm around the back of the bench around Banks

LT: "I don't understand it - they said the Giants were dead"

Banks: "They stuck a fork in us and said we were 'done'."

LT: "San Francisco....we're back!"

Bank: "We're baaaaaack." [evil laugh]

I just LOVE that exchange between them. But, it also goes to show that at 13-3 in 1990 and the No 2 seed we were STILL doubted. Oy vey!

Comment

Simms was a tough QB. He always give it 100%.

Comment

Kid, this question's making me feel old and I'm only 40 years old (going on 20 years old).

That 49ers D you saw the other night -- The Giants D was like that. And we had Belichick (the Pats current D-coordinator) as our D coordinator inSBs 21 & 25.A big difference between the Giants D of the '80s and the 49ers D this year is that the Giants did not have to talk about how toughh they were -- they just did their talking on the field.

Simms was an excellent QB -- he was Joe Montana-lite, without the great WRs. His WRs were dependable catchers, but that's all you could really say about them. Except for Bavaro, who was a beast. One of the toughest players ever (and my personal favorite of all time). Bavaro had his jaw broken in the middle of agame; went back to the clubhouse to have it wired shut, and came back into the game to finish it out.True story.

LT -- had one of the best games of his career with a a broken arm against the Saints. Unfortunately, the Giants haven't had any top-flight LB's since those days except for Jesse Armstead in the late 90s / early '00s. Other great LBs were Banks, Carson, Johnson, and Reasons.

Great members of the D-line were Leonard Marshall (who knocked Joe Montana out); George Martin; Jim Burt (who also knocked out Joe Montana); Erik Howard.

Comment

Simms - No QB had more heart than Phil Simms. He was tough, and highly accurate. If Simms had time the ball was on the money. Phil would hang in that pocket as long as possible waiting for his receiver to get open at the expense of his body and he did take a beating. But he sure made some great throws.

LT - game changer on day one. We had a good defense before LT. LT made us a great defense. Big and fast. Too much for a TE or RB to handle. The most dominant defensive player I ever saw.

Harry Carson - Our Captain, our leader. Harry was a truly great player who was terrific at stopping the run and defensing the pass. Fierce hitter.

Killer - Carl was as solid as they come. Teams would run away from LT into right into Carl Banks. Banks actually outplayed LT in both Super Bowls.

Bavaro - Rambo. Our best receiving threat at the time, and our best TE ever. Tough. Quiet. Great hands.

As Pat Summerall so eloquently said in 1987: " The Denver Broncos went into Super Bowl XXI hoping they would win. The Giants went in knowing they would".

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

Comment

[quote user="ErnieReese"]I'm a relatively young fan who never got a chance to see Phil Simms, LT, Banks, etc... play. I was always very curious how they were perceived during their time, and what you all thought about their play.

Thanks![/quote]alot of the games back then were like grudge matches...today, there is alot more finess to the game, even prior to this season when the NFL went crazy protecting the offensive skill positions which ramped up production from them.

Bavaro was a ROcky-type of story. Humble guy playing REAL smashmouth football making heroic plays at times. He was like Gronkowski in that he was Phils Simms' biggest threat in the passing game. Parcells did not place alot of emphasis on the passing game and preferred to grind out yards on the ground and wind down the clock.
                              Our passing game was great at times though still but also frustrating. Can't even guess how many times the Giants lost a game with Phil Simms getting sacked at the end...used to drive me bonkers.
                              I used to get frustrated as all hell with Rodney Hampton too even though he was more physical than Jacobs is today. But then he'd break a long one and all would be forgotten.
                              I liked Banks, Pepper Johnson and Harry Carson, Van Pelt and so on but LT was just great to watch even if we lost you had him to watch and maybe he'd spark the team if things looked bad. Brad Daluisso had a booming leg...Matt Barr was clutch and then there was Hostettler who road Simms' coattails into the superbowl and won it for us. He was like Aaron Rodgers, he could away from the passrush to make a play or run upfield. He wasn't awesome at it but it gave us a new dimension that people hadnt seen much from us.

Other teams players to watch were Elway who was one tough and "Lucky" ****er (my words).
                              Barry Sanders was one of my favorite players on offense and he played for the Lions. Loved to watch him, though I only saw a few of his games, but there were plenty of highlight reels of him.
                              Ronnie Lott was one sick son of a ***** to watch on defense...if he played today they would ban him from the NFL.
                              There is a lot...too much to discuss

Much more physical then but those who love the numbers are just entering the golden age for that...Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Stafford and Eli all had huge yardage counts due in large to the NFL protecting the offense players...those records will breaknin the coming years. You to will witness football history.

Comment

Working...
                              X