Toomer says ’07 Giants wideouts had to be “acrobats”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toomer says ’07 Giants wideouts had to be “acrobats”

Toomer, a key member of the Super Bowl XLII championship Giants, said that Eli’s accuracy has improved dramatically over the years, and that his “strike zone” has gotten smaller.

So how bad was it? “We were acrobats,” Toomer said. “We had to be. . . . We didn’t have the chance to catch the ball, turn up field, and get as many yards as we can, because most of the time we were just trying to catch the ball.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-be-acrobats/

Re: Toomer says ’07 Giants wideouts had to be “acrobats”

This should be interesting. I'm guessing people will say that Toomer is a liar and he's just jealous of the success our young WRs are having. It's making him look bad. Should I gloat now or gloat later?

Edit: And yes, I'm having fun with this.

Comment

They had to be acrobats because they couldn't get any separation and were old as dirt.

Comment

[quote user="gumby742"]

This should be interesting. I'm guessing people will say that Toomer is a liar and he's just jealous of the success our young WRs are having. It's making him look bad. Should I gloat now or gloat later?

[/quote]

not sure what would make u gloat?

Nobody said earlier that eli had pinpoint precision. We all agree hes gotten better year in and year out...

but being "acrobats" doesn't take away from the fact that they were balls that had to be caught. Making the play is what is important
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

[quote user="Moss#83"]They had to be acrobats because they couldn't get any separation and were old as dirt.[/quote]

Legit point, but I don't think I agree..well I dont totally agree.

Comment

[quote user="Moss#83"]They had to be acrobats because they couldn't get any separation and were old as dirt.[/quote]

Legit point, but I don't think I agree..well I dont totally agree.

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="gumby742"]

[/quote]

Nobody said earlier that eli had pinpoint precision. We all agree hes gotten better year in and year out...

but being "acrobats" doesn't take away from the fact that they were balls that had to be caught. Making the play is what is important
              [/quote]

Oh? Weren't you the one that said, Eli was accurate because he hits the WRs in the hands? You even admitted that accuracy in your book wasn't very important since for the most part most NFL calibre QBs when given time can hit the WRs in the hands.

Accuracy was one of the few points that were often discussed when i made the simple statement over and over - Eli was inaccurate, inconsistent, and inefficient.

Comment

How is he being biter when he has done nothing but support the Giants? The receives now are great, but their was greatness before them. Peps are fickle and forget really quick when things are going well.

Comment

Nicks, Cruz, and Ballard have all made acrobatic catches this year. You have to put the ball where only the receiver has a chance to get it but he has to GO GET IT.
                  8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Nicks, Cruz, and Ballard have all made acrobatic catches this year. You have to put the ball where only the receiver has a chance to get it but he has to GO GET IT.
                    [/quote]

I think it was pretty clear Toomer was talking about throws that were made when they were open and had the opportunity to "turn it up field". Eli has been money all year - putting in places where only his WRs could get it when he does chuck it up. He's been very accurate.

Comment

[quote user="gumby742"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="gumby742"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh? Weren't you the one that said, Eli was accurate because he hits the WRs in the hands? You even admitted that accuracy in your book wasn't very important since for the most part most NFL calibre QBs when given time can hit the WRs in the hands.

Accuracy was one of the few points that were often discussed when i made the simple statement over and over - Eli was inaccurate, inconsistent, and inefficient.

[/quote]

not only are you getting specific arguments confused, but also timelines.

First off - the argument about hitting the ball in the hands was the argument that if it hits the WR in the hands the play should be made. It mean the QB got the ball there and its now on the WR to do what he has to do.

I say that the way that accuracy was depicted by many of the posters on here was inaccurate. First off, these tight spaces that eli has been dropping the ball in this year? Its been happening for the past 3-4 years and i've been pointing it out.

Also Eli was being heavily compared to a guy like Kurt Warner at the time and I remember making the point that Warner wasn't AS accurate as the stats would show. He had WRs that went up and got the ball out over a crowd of people. It made him look better obviously.

Also the argument that Eli wasn't on the same page with alot of our WRs due to injuries, changes, and just having new relationships with them. Alot of your "inaccuracy" debates in which you would put all the blame on Eli , you would have no way of knowing if the receiver ran the right route. Our passing offense is HEAVILY based on the two spots being on the same page.

Regardless, as per your article, Toomer was referring to Eli's earlier years. You signed up for these boards in 07, so if we had this debates it would of been in 07-08. Toomer was gone by end of 08 no?

you were applying points for 04-05-06. Sorry but in that moment you were wrong and keeping a young QBs woes from early years and dragging it out, not letting it go, and trying to apply it to what his current play was at that time.

My main argument for that time was that Eli was ACCURATE enough. And my arguments remain consistant and can even be applied to Eli's play this year in which I have debated countless hours with Moorehead about.

Do I think Eli has improved this year? yes. Do I think hes gotten better every year? yes. Do I think the jump of improvement that most people think happened is true? NO!

Eli is playing better and the stats show it, right? Well I say Eli's performance this year can be pinpointed to about 10 plays last year to 10 plays this year.

Take out last years drops, tipped balls for picks, hell even make them receptions to this year where we got the luck that tipped balls WERENT picked and he had WRs make crazy plays for him. All of a sudden everybody thinks Eli is some accurate QB.

Sorry, like I said before while Eli has def had his biggest leap of improvement from year to year the biggest reason for his success isn't that, its having solid WRs stay healthy that he can be on the same page with, not drop balls, and actual MAKE PLAYS.

Thats the biggest difference maker in Eli's success

Comment

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Nicks, Cruz, and Ballard have all made acrobatic catches this year. You have to put the ball where only the receiver has a chance to get it but he has to GO GET IT.
                        [/quote]

another excellent point

and I would say that the ACROBATIC plays they made were much more athletic than most plays made by Toomer - yet Eli is considered to be such a different player?

Comment

[quote user="gumby742"]

[/quote]

I think it was pretty clear Toomer was talking about throws that were made when they were open and had the opportunity to "turn it up field". Eli has been money all year - putting in places where only his WRs could get it when he does chuck it up. He's been very accurate.

[/quote]

I'm an Eli guy and have no problem conceding that he has improved year-by-year - including with his accuracy. Isn't that what is supposed to happen? But I would think that you'd acknowledge that there was at least a touch of hyperbole in Toomer's statement. I'm proud that Eli has continued (and continues) to work on and improve his game, and having had a receiver like Toomer to work with, without doubt, has been a big part in that development.

I see neither harm, nor foul, here.

Comment

Eli throws WRs open and that sometimes means WRs will have to make acrobatic like adjustments

Eli, of course, has improved ... does anyone remember Peyton early in his career? ... he had some playoff performances that would make you think he was the worst QB on the planet

it's amazing that there is still all this anti-Eli sentiment, but i shouldn't be surprised ... negative fans never appreciated Simms either until he was gone ... i just say be careful what you wish for

Comment

[quote user="Pakman"][quote user="Moss#83"]They had to be acrobats because they couldn't get any separation and were old as dirt.[/quote]

Legit point, but I don't think I agree..well I dont totally agree.[/quote]I barely saw Eli go deep in that SB year. Only big play threat was Burress and when they needed a bomb, Eli was able to put it in their hands. He always had a great deep ball.

If I remember correctly, Eli hit Toomer in stride against the cowgirls in the playoffs that he took into the house.

I think Toomer is a little bitter over these WR making all these big plays. I remember he was asked a question on WFAN about how the WR are so much more of a big play threat now than in 07 and he objected to that saying Eli is a lot more accurate now.

He is definitely more accurate because he has improved. But in 07 he was still accurate enough to win the SB. His WR are just simply younger and faster now and Toomer will never admit that.

Comment

Working...
                              X