Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've had an OK offseason so far I guess, but....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TNGMen871 View Post
    agreed. With the cap and trying to re-sign JPP, the Giants did ok so far.

    I know a lot of people were hoping to see the O-line addressed in FA. But hell, some of these FA O-linemen got a boatload of money. There is 1 name still out there that I heard some posters mention as a potential O-line target, Austin Pasztor. But now that the Giants have signed JPP long term and opened up some cap space, Pasztor is a realistic reasonable addition?
    ithink Pasztor would be a good addition sure. I'm not sure they go that route though. I see them more drafting an OL in one of the first 2-3 rounds. Throw that rook into the competition for RT.

    i think with the new cap room we have they'll try and resign Hank and Robinson. I honestly rather sign Hank to a 1 year deal and then draft his replacement this year than sign him to a long term deal.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
      Whitworth is still a high quality left tackle. PFF graded his signing an A. With Eli at the end of the line we could have gotten this guy and it would have solved our problems at LT. Are we looking at a trade for Joe Thomas?

      I don't know about you but I think Reese should be doing all in his power to give Eli the best chance possible at getting a third ring. In not addressing the O line, which was a massive problem last year, Reese is failing Eli in this regard.
      You can't have everyone.

      There's plenty of teams that want these players. Maybe Whitworth didn't want to come to NY. Maybe he's got family in LA. Maybe he's an early riser and likes to pack in the morning. I'm an educated man but I'm afraid I can't testify as to the travel habits of Mr. Whitworth....

      Anyway, 36 million for a 36 year old was too rich for the Giants blood and I don't blame them.

      You don't just sign guys for the sake of signing them. Besides, I really think they want to give Flowers another year to try and prove himself.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post
        ithink Pasztor would be a good addition sure. I'm not sure they go that route though. I see them more drafting an OL in one of the first 2-3 rounds. Throw that rook into the competition for RT.

        i think with the new cap room we have they'll try and resign Hank and Robinson. I honestly rather sign Hank to a 1 year deal and then draft his replacement this year than sign him to a long term deal.
        Yeah I can see OL being addressed in Rds 1, 2, or maybe 3. That Forrest Lamp is an intriguing prospect potentially at 23. I think he could play RT or RG in the NFL. I know Flowers stunk it up last season, but my gut tells me that most likely we will see Flowers start the season at LT, Pugh at LG and Richburg at C. I can see competition for RG and RT right now.

        I agree with you on Hankins. Maybe a 1 yr deal right now. I think they can find a good DT prospect in the draft. The D-line position is a strength in this years draft as opposed to the weaker O-line class.

        Comment


        • #19
          There weren't a lot of viable options, plain and simple. Whitworth was overpaid, as expected, and he was nothing but a band aid, and an old band aid at that. As far as Tunsil, enough about tht already. Its over and done with, and nothing will change that.

          If you thought that they were going to bring in every FA lineman available, then you obviously weren't being the least bit realistic. The JPP contract was going to ensure that they weren't going to be big players in FA this year
          The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by TNGMen871 View Post
            agreed. With the cap and trying to re-sign JPP, the Giants did ok so far.

            I know a lot of people were hoping to see the O-line addressed in FA. But hell, some of these FA O-linemen got a boatload of money. There is 1 name still out there that I heard some posters mention as a potential O-line target, Austin Pasztor. But now that the Giants have signed JPP long term and opened up some cap space, Pasztor is a realistic reasonable addition?
            JPP was resigned to a mega deal avg 17M a season over 4 Years with 40M guaranteed?? To Rich imo. And while this deal will offer Cap Relief and free up about 9.4 Million for this off season. It will create a huge problem in the coming years trying to re sign Richberg, Pugh and others and will hand cuff us trying to bring in other teams FAs as well.

            Better use that Cap Relief wisely and have a great draft cause the o line issue has the potential now to get a lot worse over next two seasons
            Football has been very, very good to us.
            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

            # of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

            1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
            4-New York Giants!!!
            5-NE
            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

            ***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

            Comment


            • #21
              Someone estimated next years # being at around 35 to 37 or so. Take off JPPs Cap hit of 17 plus and you can see trying to bring back both Pugh & Richberg won't leave much money to do anything else

              Of course there will be Cuts and restructuring like always to free up more space but you can see the Giants will not be major players in FA the next 2-3 years in FA at least till Eli comes off books but they will have Odell to re sign that year so.....
              Football has been very, very good to us.
              After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
              But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

              # of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

              1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
              2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
              3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
              4-New York Giants!!!
              5-NE
              Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

              ***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by uther99 View Post
                3 years 36 million is a lot for a 35 year old tackle. I don't think that is a great use of cap, but that's my opinion. time will tell.
                Exactly

                Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                Whitworth.

                The real answer to all of this is they should have drafted Tunsil when they had the chance. Unfortunately they were scared off because the guy did a bong hit in high school.

                Good move there. How can anyone ever trust or respect someone who tried weed in high school? God forbid...
                The Tunsil weed argument is not the whole picture. For one thing he had some flags with his health (Ankle) , he had a DV charge against his mother and father. The weed was no big deal, should have not been an issue , add the pushing his mother charges and step father. Now there is a pattern of bad behavior. With the Josh brown investigation, the giants did not need anymore bad NY press pertaining to violent acts of aggression towards women. They had to pass on him.


                You guys need to stop with this he smoked weed argument because there were more facts that contributed to him falling in the draft.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by TEM View Post
                  Exactly



                  The Tunsil weed argument is not the whole picture. For one thing he had some flags with his health (Ankle) , he had a DV charge against his mother and father. The weed was no big deal, should have not been an issue , add the pushing his mother charges and step father. Now there is a pattern of bad behavior. With the Josh brown investigation, the giants did not need anymore bad NY press pertaining to violent acts of aggression towards women. They had to pass on him.


                  You guys need to stop with this he smoked weed argument because there were more facts that contributed to him falling in the draft.
                  He was a top three talent who fell pretty far. Sure, maybe it was a risk, but it was also a high reward. The Giants had an opportunity to get a franchise left tackle at 10th overall. If they were picking 4th or 5th and they decided to pass, I get it. At 10th it was worth the risk. I was praying they'd take him on draft day and I still wish they had.

                  If you're super risk averse then you don't get the reward. Simple as that. Imagine how sick our team would be right now if we had Tunsil on the team entering his sophomore NFL season.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    With Fluker that "could" be an improvement. They have also added a FB/TE who is a very good blocker, that will help as well. I hope they don't think Flowers is the answer at LT.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by uther99 View Post
                      3 years 36 million is a lot for a 35 year old tackle. I don't think that is a great use of cap, but that's my opinion. time will tell.
                      The OL has been more of a fan issue than a team issue. This is the same OL that was involved with an 11 win season and a playoof berth. The real problem was the inability to score TDs, especially in the red zone.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                        Whitworth is still a high quality left tackle. PFF graded his signing an A.
                        Will they change their grade when he plays less than 8 games next season? That's and incredibly physical position for a 36 year old, and I am glad we didn't pay him.
                        Last edited by DandyDon; 03-18-2017, 12:39 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by JameyC View Post
                          The OL has been more of a fan issue than a team issue. This is the same OL that was involved with an 11 win season and a playoof berth. The real problem was the inability to score TDs, especially in the red zone.
                          How is the OL not a real issue? The offense was lousy this past year. Receivers weren't the problem. If you listen to just about everyone here, the QB is not to blame. OK sure, we lacked RB depth and an elite TE, but that really just leaves the line. It was for sure a legitimate problem. Not just something in the fans' heads.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                            How is the OL not a real issue? The offense was lousy this past year. Receivers weren't the problem. If you listen to just about everyone here, the QB is not to blame. OK sure, we lacked RB depth and an elite TE, but that really just leaves the line. It was for sure a legitimate problem. Not just something in the fans' heads.
                            I wouldn't say the WR's are free of blame. Victor Cruz, in particular.

                            http://nflsavant.com/game.php?team_c...16&tab=targets

                            He was just over 50% completion rate for targets caught. Less then our TE's.

                            That's not WR2 type numbers.

                            Pretty much every facet of the offense could be improved, not just the Oline.
                            my beer drinking team has a football problem

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by JameyC View Post
                              The OL has been more of a fan issue than a team issue. This is the same OL that was involved with an 11 win season and a playoof berth. The real problem was the inability to score TDs, especially in the red zone.
                              The OL, while not nearly as terrible as some fans want us to believe, is most definitely a major issue. The 11 wins happened because of stellar defensive play, with the offense getting very little credit, if any, for the wins.
                              The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by U.S.M.C. VET View Post
                                Not to sound like a total downer but I never really get worked up about personnel during the draft or offseason. I used to.I have had high hopes and been disappointed too often and my rule of thumb is wait till they get on the field. Show me something. I get sick of all the talk and hype. Preseason usually gives you a little idea of what you are in store for with your newbies. But as far as speculation goes....shut your mouths till you get on the field.
                                This is exactly what many said about the defensive free agents Reese signed last year.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X