Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've had an OK offseason so far I guess, but....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by poppa smurph View Post
    I wouldn't say the WR's are free of blame. Victor Cruz, in particular.

    http://nflsavant.com/game.php?team_c...16&tab=targets

    He was just over 50% completion rate for targets caught. Less then our TE's.

    That's not WR2 type numbers.

    Pretty much every facet of the offense could be improved, not just the Oline.

    Holy smoke.....those numbers are pretty crazy.....I knew Cruz wasn't exactly lighting up the field but his % kinda sucked.
    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

    Comment


    • #32
      Offensive Line Can FIX itself if young guys like Flowers, Hart, Richburg and Fluker get BETTER which is IS POSSIBLE despite some fans already giving up on them and wanting to sign Free Agents and draft players who may or may NOT be better!

      Comment


      • #33
        There wasn't a single offensive lineman worth going after in free agency this year. As one of the biggest critics of our line for years, I'm thrilled we didn't overspend on anyone.
        NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

        Rd 1
        Garrett Bolles - OT
        David Njoku - TE
        Zach Cunningham - OLB

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Sicko View Post
          Offensive Line Can FIX itself if young guys like Flowers, Hart, Richburg and Fluker get BETTER which is IS POSSIBLE despite some fans already giving up on them and wanting to sign Free Agents and draft players who may or may NOT be better!
          Let's see.

          Clearly that's what they're doing, so hopefully you're right. I personally though the O line was a dumpster fire last year, but maybe they'll magically get better.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
            Holy smoke.....those numbers are pretty crazy.....I knew Cruz wasn't exactly lighting up the field but his % kinda sucked.
            Yup.

            When your opponet see's that type of production from WR2, you're not forcing them to defend the whole field.
            my beer drinking team has a football problem

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
              Let's see.

              Clearly that's what they're doing, so hopefully you're right. I personally though the O line was a dumpster fire last year, but maybe they'll magically get better.
              Yeah the line held us back the most so hopefully they get better but also still hope they can add a veteran Tackle to push the young guys and for insurance.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                Let's see.

                Clearly that's what they're doing, so hopefully you're right. I personally though the O line was a dumpster fire last year, but maybe they'll magically get better.
                We (along with Reese) have been hoping that the offensive line will magically get better.. It's not gonna happen, but perhaps fifth time is the charm

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
                  JPP was resigned to a mega deal avg 17M a season over 4 Years with 40M guaranteed?? To Rich imo. And while this deal will offer Cap Relief and free up about 9.4 Million for this off season. It will create a huge problem in the coming years trying to re sign Richberg, Pugh and others and will hand cuff us trying to bring in other teams FAs as well.

                  Better use that Cap Relief wisely and have a great draft cause the o line issue has the potential now to get a lot worse over next two seasons
                  Giants currently have $30M in cap space for next year. That is including JPP $17.5M cap hit next year. Giants can cut DRC and Bmarsh and Dwayne Harris next year and save $6.5M, $5.5M, and $2.5M, respectively. thats another $14.5 opened up bringing us up to $45M. Odell's cap would jump to $8M (luckily he wasnt a top 10 pick) with the 5th year option, bringing us back down to $37M.

                  This is all obviously guessing of what the Giants will do, but it shows what they can do and that the Giants are in good financial state right now and for the future and should be able to potentially resign Pugh and Richburg next year and Odell and Landon the year after. Giants can cut JPP after next year and save $9.5M on the 2019 cap if they needed, and once Eli's contracts off the table everything changes.

                  But we're fine and will be fine in the future, Giants arent in any cap trouble
                  Last edited by gibril28wilson; 03-18-2017, 03:42 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post
                    Giants currently have $30M in cap space for next year. That is including JPP $17.5M cap hit next year. Giants can cut DRC and Bmarsh and Dwayne Harris next year and save $6.5M, $5.5M, and $2.5M, respectively. thats another $14.5 opened up bringing us up to $45M. Odell's cap would jump to $8M (luckily he wasnt a top 10 pick) with the 5th year option, bringing us back down to $37M.

                    This is all obviously guessing of what the Giants will do, but it shows what they can do and that the Giants are in good financial state right now and for the future and should be able to potentially resign Pugh and Richburg next year and Odell and Landon the year after. Giants can cut JPP after next year and save $9.5M on the 2019 cap if they needed, and once Eli's contracts off the table everything changes.

                    But we're fine and will be fine in the future, Giants arent in any cap trouble
                    This cutting DRC talk has really gotten out of hand. What is the obsession with cutting a corner, who even at his age, would be a number 1 on most teams in the league? He's a steal for what he's being paid, and it became very evident how important he is when he went down in the GB playoff game. When Jenoris was injured, offenses stayed away from his side of the field. The Giants are very fortunate to have two number 1 corners. How many other teams have this luxury? I'm still not sold on Apple yet.
                    Last edited by I Bleed Blue; 03-18-2017, 03:50 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post
                      This cutting DRC talk has really gotten out of hand. What is the obsession with cutting a corner, who even at his age, would be a number 1 on most teams in the league? He's a steal for what he's being paid, and it become very evident how important he is when he went down in playoff game. When Jenoris was injured, offenses stayed away from his side of the field. The Giants are very fortunate to have two number 1 corners. How many other teams have this luxury?
                      how has it gotten out of hand from my post? lol im not saying cut him he sucks! i want him here this year as much as everyone else. he was a 2nd team all pro last year. He's an important part of the D being able to play the slot.

                      im saying it's possible that next year the Giants cut a 32 year old CB who only plays 50% of the snaps and who's making $8.5M.
                      Last edited by gibril28wilson; 03-18-2017, 03:55 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by poppa smurph View Post
                        Yup.

                        When your opponet see's that type of production from WR2, you're not forcing them to defend the whole field.
                        Was he really our WR2? I get that Shepard was a slot player and Cruz was lining up outside, but Shepard was really the number two.

                        Same way Cruz was the number 2 out of the slot a few years back when the other wideout was Ruben Randle.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                          He was a top three talent who fell pretty far. Sure, maybe it was a risk, but it was also a high reward. The Giants had an opportunity to get a franchise left tackle at 10th overall. If they were picking 4th or 5th and they decided to pass, I get it. At 10th it was worth the risk. I was praying they'd take him on draft day and I still wish they had.

                          If you're super risk averse then you don't get the reward. Simple as that. Imagine how sick our team would be right now if we had Tunsil on the team entering his sophomore NFL season.


                          I get your point. The Giants FO did not agree with you. The NY press would have had a field day adding another player with a not so pristine DV past to the mix with the existing Josh Brown situation. It would have been a bigger PR problem. The Media may have question the already tarnished integrity of The FO and ownership. Was never going to happen.
                          The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by TEM View Post
                            I get your point. The Giants FO did not agree with you. The NY press would have had a field day adding another player with a not so pristine DV past to the mix with the existing Josh Brown situation. It would have been a bigger PR problem. The Media may have question the already tarnished integrity of The FO and ownership. Was never going to happen.
                            I guess. This DV thing was different though. This wasn't some abusive dude beating on his GF or wife. Tunsil got into an argument with his stepfather that led to a scuffle, and charges were dropped as there was no real case. Not exactly the same thing as a Josh Brown or Ray Rice type situation, and it's not like Tunsil had multiple incidents. DV types tend to be repeat offenders. Getting into an argument with your stepfather that gets physical isn't really DV in the stigmatized sense.

                            In any event, this is ancient history at this point. I guess my personal view is that you have to take a shot when you have talent of that caliber fall into your lap. Most people have things in their past they wish they didn't do. Not everyone who makes a mistake or two in life is the next Aaron Hernandez or Rae Carruth. I still see it as a major missed opportunity.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                              Whitworth is still a high quality left tackle. PFF graded his signing an A. With Eli at the end of the line we could have gotten this guy and it would have solved our problems at LT. Are we looking at a trade for Joe Thomas?

                              I don't know about you but I think Reese should be doing all in his power to give Eli the best chance possible at getting a third ring. In not addressing the O line, which was a massive problem last year, Reese is failing Eli in this regard.
                              there must be a lot of reasons that I don't understand for why Reese did not make some kind a deal for an OT from anywhere. IMO an OT was the primary need for the weak offense we had last year and that need has gone unfilled, apparently Reese liked what he saw of Flowers last season

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                                Was he really our WR2? I get that Shepard was a slot player and Cruz was lining up outside, but Shepard was really the number two.

                                Same way Cruz was the number 2 out of the slot a few years back when the other wideout was Ruben Randle.
                                He was the number 2 reciever in that if we lined up with only 2 WR's on the field, it was Odell and him.

                                I get where you're going with that train of thought, but offensively, you want some semblance of balence.

                                Had Cruz managed to get seperation, I would think his targets would've went up.
                                my beer drinking team has a football problem

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X