Why Jason Pierre-Paul's contract shouldn't impact Giants' draft strategy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
    Yup. And at 23 they should pick the best athlete, regardless of position.
    This i don't agree with. I'm not the biggest fan when teams draft "athletes". I want good players. They don't have to have the highest upside, but if they have a solid base, they'll most likely be able to play and contribute - not bust. I'm just not a fan of this "looking for the next great player" mentality. I think that just leads to more busted draft picks.
    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Am I the only one high on Okwara?
      Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneroses6300 View Post
        No, but he has to consistently put forth the effort that he did against Dallas. he does give me more hope than Wynn and O Diggy

Comment

Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
          This i don't agree with. I'm not the biggest fan when teams draft "athletes". I want good players. They don't have to have the highest upside, but if they have a solid base, they'll most likely be able to play and contribute - not bust. I'm just not a fan of this "looking for the next great player" mentality. I think that just leads to more busted draft picks.
          Didn't mean athlete, my bad. I meant BPA.

Comment

This is a tough call for me. What if Hankins doesn't come back we need a DT desperately, there is no one on the roster that can replace him. I think a starting DT would be more of a priority than a backup DE. Plus an OT is a necessity maybe there is one in the 2nd rd. But now that moves the DE priority to the 3rd rd imo. Never mind my own mind set of a TE and RB coming before rotational players. At the earliest I'm thinking 5th rd for a backup. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Roswell View Post
              I'm surprised that everyone is forgetting that one of the main reasons that the Giants got blown out in the second half at GB in the playoffs was because they didn't get any pressure on Rodgers. To me that was enough to tell me that they missed JPP and need more players that can get after the QB.

For me an OLB would be the ideal but I can see the wisdom of taking advantage of the fact that this is a real good year to draft OLBs or DEs and a bad year to draft OTs. Yes, we need an OT but early on the value might not be there and you don't draft a certain position for the sake of saying you drafted a certain position. That's short sighted.
              thats half of it,,the other half is they couldnt score,,need an explosive, pass catching RB like mccaffrey to open the entire field up...they already added a big WR red zone threat and a good blocking TE..plus fluker.

Comment

Originally posted by Roswell View Post
                I'm surprised that everyone is forgetting that one of the main reasons that the Giants got blown out in the second half at GB in the playoffs was because they didn't get any pressure on Rodgers. To me that was enough to tell me that they missed JPP and need more players that can get after the QB.

For me an OLB would be the ideal but I can see the wisdom of taking advantage of the fact that this is a real good year to draft OLBs or DEs and a bad year to draft OTs. Yes, we need an OT but early on the value might not be there and you don't draft a certain position for the sake of saying you drafted a certain position. That's short sighted.
                This is all true Roswell and as much as I obsess about the OL, I would never advocate reaching for one beyond their talent. A defensive disrupter wherever he lines up would be a good choice in the 1st imo. The OL is going to have to come from somewhere else. Don't forget Beatty will still be available around Labor Day as he was last year.
                No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

We should go with the best available athlete.......period

Even high draft OTs usually either dont pan out or are a crap shoot if they do. We are already an 11-5 team, we dont need to draft for position.

I see it that way= Best Available

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
                    Didn't mean athlete, my bad. I meant BPA.
                    Yeah. I guess my point is that sometimes in my opinion, people get too in love with "upside". Save the QB position, I don't think you need a lot of great players to win it all. You can have a bunch of solid ones with some good role players and be one too.
                    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneroses6300 View Post

I'm very very high on Okwara- he should have started last year and Jennings should not have been on the squad period- good dancer though He has found his calling.....dancing around the ballroom not the playing field

Comment

Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
                        Yeah. I guess my point is that sometimes in my opinion, people get too in love with "upside". Save the QB position, I don't think you need a lot of great players to win it all. You can have a bunch of solid ones with some good role players and be one too.
                        I tend to dismiss "measurables" not because they aren't important but because some think that measurable make a football player. They don't. They are only one element and I would add, not the single most important element in the making of an NFL player.

Some here are way too smitten with stats and "upside".

"Late bloomer" is also largely a pipe dream. For every one that hits, there are dozens that flop.

Even really good ones here who have developed over a couple of years, they all showed some flash early. I would use Tuck as an example of that.
                        Last edited by jomo; 03-25-2017, 11:22 AM.
                        No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                          I tend to dismiss "measurables" not because they aren't important but because some think that measurable make a football player. They don't. They are only one element and I would add, not the single most important element in the making of an NFL player.

"Late bloomer" is also largely a pipe dream. For every one that hits, there are dozens that flop.

Even really good ones here who have developed over a couple of years, they all showed some flash early. I would use Tuck as an example of that.
                          When I saw Tuck smashing people on the Kick off team and his speed downfield for a man his size I predicted on this board he would be a future All Pro D Lineman for us- I got laughed at on here

You are a Moderator on here now JOMO? Good for you, that was a good choice by someone
                          Last edited by BlueClue; 03-25-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

Agreed. Not even close.

Comment

Working...
                            X