Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In both their actions and words in this offseason, the Giants are sending a clear message to Eli....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
    I think the lack of major activity in regards to OL was more to do with supply/demand. Very few really good FA's available, and a lot of teams throwing stupid $$s at them. We got priced out.
    well said! Plenty of average to slightly above average O-linemen got paid all-pro type money.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post
      If the head coach really believes that the OL is fine and it's all Eli's fault he should be fired now.
      Fire a HC that just went 11-5 in his rookie season with a team that went 6-10, 8-8, and 6-10 in its previous three seasons. Hmmm. Sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
        You answered your own question. Fulker was a piece in a terrible unit. When the line breaks down, even the better OL suffer for it. That does not mean that same lineman can't be good, or even exceptional, when playing beside better line mates. Fulker was cheap, and at worst he's depth for the line. At best, he may provide a better push for the run game than we've been getting.
        Fluker was one of the reasons that line was bad. He wasn't some gifted player who was dragged down by bad teammates.

I'm not saying he's not an upgrade to Newhouse. I am just saying we should not expect much from him. He'll be average.

Comment

I could agree with some of DB's points a lot of it is not the whole story.

The HC criticized Eli and gave a pass the O-line.

Even though Mac stated that it falls on the QB. (It always does the team wins and loses on his shoulders. It is a QB driven league) Most football fans understand if the guys around the QB are not preforming the QB's job becomes more cumbersome. I am not giving Eli a pass I am a huge fan of Eli but I am not blind.

That is not the whole story.

Mac can say what he wants about his line. The truth is 3.5 yards an attempt. 29th in the league that is not getting it done. If the O can't rush the ball , any number of the front 7 can pass rush at will. For the O-line that is hard to zone cover for blocking schemes probably some of the pass protection problems. Even with an average pass protecting line, being able to run the ball consistently will help the pass blocking. This is why having a running game that keeps the D on its heals is so important.

Signing 2 back up Qb's does not suggest the Giants are more concerned about the position. It doesn't suggest anything . All it sate is the Giants are moving on from Nassib.

Jerry was a good guard last year. He can Pull. It was a good signing. Fluker the jury is out on him. Can he come in and do better,that will not be known until he plays a good amount of snaps, This were I have reservations, he left one zone blocking system were he was not great into another . But hopefully he can come in and surprise all of his critics. Other player have done poorly in one system and thrived on a different team.

DB's accusation that the FO has criticized Eli for the offensive woes. I can not find any statement from The Giants management team the supports that comment.
          The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
            DB's accusation that the FO has criticized Eli for the offensive woes. I can not find any statement from The Giants management team the supports that comment.
            Not directly. I never said that. Only McAdoo criticized Eli directly as far as I am aware. I just mean that the FO hasn't done anything significant to improve the O line, which suggests they don't think it's as big of a problem as everyone here does.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
              Not directly. I never said that. Only McAdoo criticized Eli directly as far as I am aware. I just mean that the FO hasn't done anything significant to improve the O line, which suggests they don't think it's as big of a problem as everyone here does.
              That is an assumption. If it was not a big deal, they would have not brought in all the line men or a TE that can block in the backfield as well to help fix some of the issues.
              The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

You don't think the OL is a problem?
                Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Who the hell seriously does not think that the OL was not a big problem? Were you watching games? If you believe that, I have a left tackle to trade you. McAdoo criticized Eli because he's not man enough to take some of the criticisms of his play calling. I get that he has to protect his OL that got slammed the whole season, but I don't see a head coach who takes responsibility for his own failings and shortcomings either.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post
                    You don't think the OL is a problem?
                    I absolutely do. I think it was an extremely poor run blocking line and mediocre at best in pass protection.

Comment

That is an assumption. If it was not a big deal, they would have not brought in all the line men or a TE that can block in the backfield as well to help fix some of the issues.
                      "Brought in all the linemen?" As in multiple players? Who exactly?

They brought in Fluker and let Newhouse go. That's a mild upgrade of a horrible player to a mediocre at best player. They haven't added anyone else besides that.

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailEli View Post
                        Who the hell seriously does not think that the OL was not a big problem? Were you watching games? If you believe that, I have a left tackle to trade you. McAdoo criticized Eli because he's not man enough to take some of the criticisms of his play calling. I get that he has to protect his OL that got slammed the whole season, but I don't see a head coach who takes responsibility for his own failings and shortcomings either.
                        I do think it's a problem. Why are you directing this at me? I'm merely observing what the FO has done to rectify this problem so far, and it has been minimal.

Add to that the fact that the HC said the QB needs to play better and that merely blaming the OL is a "lazy" excuse, and my point is simply that the HC and FO aren't behaving in a manner that suggests they think the poor production of the offense is all the line's fault.

You guys are not understanding me correctly here. I never said the O line wasn't a problem. I personally think it is. It's the HC (by his own words) and the FO (by its own actions, or lack thereof) who don't seem to think it is as big of a problem as everyone else here.

Comment

"Brought in all the linemen?" As in multiple players? Who exactly?

They brought in Fluker and let Newhouse go. That's a mild upgrade of a horrible player to a mediocre at best player. They haven't added anyone else besides that.
                          Besides Fluker and re-signing Jerry

Gettis G
                          Holmes C
                          Bowie RT
                          Halapio G
                          Wallace LT

Comment

Besides Fluker and re-signing Jerry

Gettis G
                            Holmes C
                            Bowie RT
                            Halapio G
                            Wallace LT
                            Ah. I didn't realize you were including practice squad caliber players.

Comment

We couldn't afford the lineman on the market and most weren't worth half of what they got, that's why we havnt done hardly anything about the oline

As for Mac's comments.. If he truly believes that, then that + his play calling last year indicates to me he has no idea what he's doing and needs to be fired immediately
                              If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Ah. I didn't realize you were including practice squad caliber players.
                                If they did not make other moves as well it would be concerning. Fluker and Ellison show commitment to improve the running game. That is obvious . I am not a fan PS squad players as a change option. That is not the case with the 3 signings Jerry, Fluker and Ellison. The additional PS players show commitment to adding depth that they lacked last year. If one of those PS guys is a serviceable back up Line man, it is worth it. You can find undrafted O-line gems. It is not unheard of just ask Dallas how many they had last year.
                                Last edited by TEM; 03-19-2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X