Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In both their actions and words in this offseason, the Giants are sending a clear message to Eli....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In both their actions and words in this offseason, the Giants are sending a clear message to Eli....

that he needs to play better. I know many of us like to make every excuse in the book for the guy, and that's all well and good, but the bottom line is that the moves by the team over the past month or so all point in the direction that they view Eli's play as substandard last season and are telling him he needs to play better.

First, the head coach came out and said exactly that himself. He pushed back hard on criticisms of the O line and directly said Eli had to do a better job. This couldn't have been more clear.

Second, they have not spent any notable money whatsoever on improving the offensive line. Re-signing Jerry and bringing in Fluker for peanuts are not big moves that suggest the line is a priority. They are routine, small-ball moves. They could have signed Whitworth, Okung, or someone like that if they felt the line was the primary problem in the offense last year. They didn't.

Finally, and this is probably the least important of the three, they have signed Josh Johnson and are about to sign Geno Smith. While neither of these guys will ever play in key game situations if Eli is healthy, it does suggest they are more concerned about the overall position than they have been in recent years.

Eli was hardly the only problem in the offense last year. Far from it. The line, lack of a running game, and inadequate tight end situations where all problems. They also lacked receiver depth. But anyone who thinks Eli played well and the offensive woes were everyone else's fault BUT his are not seeing their views shared by the head coach and front office of this team. That is the bottom line here.

it became obvious in my eyes when on a number of occasions i watched them hand the ball off on 3rd and X, punt and let the defense hold down the forth. i think they are trying to model denver's success with peyton during their SB run. the acquistion of rhett and marshall is more to help the running game than the pass, imo. i believe McAdoo would perfer Eli throw the ball less the 30 times a game. i wasnt a huge fan of resigning Manner but it was inevitable because of his past success. Our core is pretty young, organization has done a great job over the last couple of years to infuse some young talent. if we can find Eli's replacement over the next year or two and prepare him to step in, in three years, we could be in tremendous shape. for now, we roll with Eli. McAdoo, as great as he was in year one, needs to have more diversity with the Offense. personally, i wished they wouldve bought in an OC with the same concept so McAdoo and that person could come up with some new offensive schemes. im just glad we are a contebder, the previous 4 years was hell.
    That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

I think the lack of major activity in regards to OL was more to do with supply/demand. Very few really good FA's available, and a lot of teams throwing stupid $$s at them. We got priced out.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
        I think the lack of major activity in regards to OL was more to do with supply/demand. Very few really good FA's available, and a lot of teams throwing stupid $$s at them. We got priced out.
        Fair enough, and I don't disagree with this, but if they had a view that the line was the main thing holding them back from being great instead of just good, that view would have justified overpaying for an established vet like Whitworth that they know has another good year or two left as Eli's window closes.

Talented and healthy left tackles that are age 26-30 unfortunately don't become available in free agency. You have to settle for either someone old, overpriced, or both.

All of this of course could have been avoided if Reese had been willing to take a calculated risk on Tunsil last year, but I'm not going to get into that right now.

Comment

All I know is the Giants must feel Smith just may be able to develop into a starter. I am not a fan of his signing, but they must feel this way. To me, McCowen was the best choice as strictly a backup, a seasoned vet who could win a few games and be drama free.
          I hope they have their eye on a couple developmental guys in the draft. In the new NFL if you can get a starting QB out of a guy in a lower draft spot you can throw money around in other spots for a few years. For now, Go Eli!

Comment

so they didnt spent the money on the players you would have liked because they think the QB cant get it done?

Okung has never played a full season. His deal with Denver was a lame one year 5 million and they didnt pick up the option. If he was as reliable and good why didnt Seattle match that lame cheap deal? Now this great LT is with is 3rd team since he was drafted.

Whitworth is going to be 36 and is the oldest LT in the league. He shunned a 1 year deal from the Bengals and I dont blame him. I also cant be certain but I thought I read some where that his practice time will be limited and managed too.

I think you are making too much of this. Yes Eli played average most of the season but that and why wouldn't the team tell their QB he has to do better.
            the team did not "skimp" on the oline because of the state of Eli Manning

Josh Johnson and Geno White will not push Eli to be "better" and neither are viewed as the Giants "QB of the future".
            Last edited by GameTime; 03-19-2017, 08:42 AM.
            "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

It's not an excuse when ur offense has 1 offensive weapon and is 1 dimensional.

It was obvious to anyone with eyes that both Eli's play and Mcadoos play calling were both taking huge hits because of the lack of trust they had in the lineman. All this talk of Eli is the head coaches way of taking heat off a bunch of young lineman and putting the blame on the 1 guy that can carry the blame and not blink twice about it.

But anyone that legitimately thinks our QB is the main or even big problem of the team is either a hater or a fantasy nerd that only looks at numbers and stat boxes. No running game, no bkocking, no threatening TE and 1 real WR weapon is not enough to make any QB look good.

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                It's not an excuse when ur offense has 1 offensive weapon and is 1 dimensional.

It was obvious to anyone with eyes that both Eli's play and Mcadoos play calling were both taking huge hits because of the lack of trust they had in the lineman. All this talk of Eli is the head coaches way of taking heat off a bunch of young lineman and putting the blame on the 1 guy that can carry the blame and not blink twice about it.

But anyone that legitimately thinks our QB is the main or even big problem of the team is either a hater or a fantasy nerd that only looks at numbers and stat boxes. No running game, no bkocking, no threatening TE and 1 real WR weapon is not enough to make any QB look good.
                I agree. And they did not have the Cap space to get in the ring on any of those over paid Lineman even if they wanted to. They know the line limited them last year. They just don't have the money to do anything about it

They tried to address two of the areas with Marshall Ellison. Ellison actually addressing two thing's
                Football has been very, very good to us.
                After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                4-New York Giants!!!
                5-NE
                Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                  that he needs to play better. I know many of us like to make every excuse in the book for the guy, and that's all well and good, but the bottom line is that the moves by the team over the past month or so all point in the direction that they view Eli's play as substandard last season and are telling him he needs to play better.

First, the head coach came out and said exactly that himself. He pushed back hard on criticisms of the O line and directly said Eli had to do a better job. This couldn't have been more clear.

Second, they have not spent any notable money whatsoever on improving the offensive line. Re-signing Jerry and bringing in Fluker for peanuts are not big moves that suggest the line is a priority. They are routine, small-ball moves. They could have signed Whitworth, Okung, or someone like that if they felt the line was the primary problem in the offense last year. They didn't.

Finally, and this is probably the least important of the three, they have signed Josh Johnson and are about to sign Geno Smith. While neither of these guys will ever play in key game situations if Eli is healthy, it does suggest they are more concerned about the overall position than they have been in recent years.

Eli was hardly the only problem in the offense last year. Far from it. The line, lack of a running game, and inadequate tight end situations where all problems. They also lacked receiver depth. But anyone who thinks Eli played well and the offensive woes were everyone else's fault BUT his are not seeing their views shared by the head coach and front office of this team. That is the bottom line here.
                  Everything is economics. Eli has an expensive, no trade contract. He will play that out barring some unforeseen event that cuts his career here short. I don't think they are sending him a message, but I do think they hope he plays better as do many of us.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. MB Rule # 1

Comment

while the o-line and running game were lacking last season, Eli contributed to it all by being a "stature" in the backfield a lot of times. he at times didn't seem interested in what was going on leading me to believe he is or was satisfied with his career at that point.

maybe that all changes this season after the McAdoo criticism. personally I believe they could have been better offensively even with the players they had last season.

Eli is considered the leader of this team and what he does or says carries over to his teammates. I don't blame Eli for everything that happens on offense but he could be more engaging imo.
                    sigpic

Comment

Signing a third QB to get ready for camp is hardly sending anyone a message. You didn't really think Johnson was the long term back-up, did you? They'll probaby add another camp body QB before they're done.

Not signing so-so OL for more than they're worth in FA is hardly a surprise either. Fulker is a good signing, and they will probably go after a lineman in the draft. That will represent a significant upgrade in the OL, especially if they can figure out what to do with Flowers. Hart is young and improving. Richburg had an off year; but you can expect him to come back better.

Coach saying that Eli has to play better was a poke at Eli; but what's he supposed to say, a low 80's QB rating is fine? Not likely.

If the Giants pick a QB early in the draft, that's news; but so far it's pretty much typical off season shuffling of personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
                        Fulker is a good signing
                        Why exactly? He was a total disappointment in San Diego, who had the worst line in the league last year. What makes him a "good" signing exactly?

He is cheap for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                          But anyone that legitimately thinks our QB is the main or even big problem of the team is either a hater or a fantasy nerd that only looks at numbers and stat boxes.
                          Ok, well that includes the head coach, who just got done openly criticizing Eli's level of play and pushing back hard on assertions that it was the line's fault.

Comment

Ok, well that includes the head coach, who just got done openly criticizing Eli's level of play and pushing back hard on assertions that it was the line's fault.
                            If the head coach really believes that the OL is fine and it's all Eli's fault he should be fired now.
                            Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Why exactly? He was a total disappointment in San Diego, who had the worst line in the league last year. What makes him a "good" signing exactly?

He is cheap for a reason.
                              You answered your own question. Fulker was a piece in a terrible unit. When the line breaks down, even the better OL suffer for it. That does not mean that same lineman can't be good, or even exceptional, when playing beside better line mates. Fulker was cheap, and at worst he's depth for the line. At best, he may provide a better push for the run game than we've been getting.

Comment

Working...
                              X