No announcement yet.

Hankins update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does PFF know the assignments Hankins has on a given play to accurately grade him on it. Some things are obvious, missed tackles, sacks, not being able to shed a block, others are not, WR routes, Blocking up field, switching assignments. PFF knows about as much as us when they watch it. They just store their data and come up with a grade. It's not completely useless as I mockingly joke about it from time to time, but I don't think it holds weight over the eye test. At all. Like I said, when an interception happens, how do they know if it's a bad throw or a bad route? That's why teams will always value game film analysis over a stupid PFF grade.
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post
      I think teams for some of their objective statistics. Like an individuals snap counts at certain positions, etc.
      I have no idea why they use PFF or what they use it for. The question was if teams have interest in metrics like PFF. They clearly do.

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
      They probably pay for the objective stats, not the subjective opinions.
      I would think so. They shouldn't care that PFF has player X ranked #whatever. But I can see the use in more in depth stats, like which side a DE went to when LT-X let up his sacks, or if it was a bull rush ect. Seeing the specific routes run when a WR made most of his plays and if that fits what they want in a player or even what to defend against.
      LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko View Post
        Kinda hoping that he doesn't take it and we move on to be honest. I don't think he is worth that! I won't be upset if he takes the offer though BUT I think he is very replaceable !
        Couldnt agree more....

Jaleel Johnson, Iowa
        Caleb Brantley, Florida
        Carlos Watkins, Clemson

are a few names that could thrive next to Snacks
        Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Given the market for DT's in free agency we have offered Hankins way too much. We should take it off the table and submit a new offer given our new cap status after the new signings.
          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
            You do know that more than a few teams pay PFF for information right?

Every since "moneyball" teams really care about those numbers.
            doesn't the moneyball guy run the browns?

not exactly a testament to effectiveness...

Comment

I don't know that for sure ... no

but I do know that they don't take any of those numbers for anything more than what they are

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post
                Im not sure about pff but hankins sure did not pass the eye test to me. Harrison has twice as many tackles than hankins did last year. I'm not sure how hankins can say he is worth more than Harrison.
                He didn't pass my eye test either so let someone else pay up but not the Giants.
                Just didn't stand out last year.
                sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

He'll sign...he has to eat soon

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingBlue123 View Post
                    If he takes it -- then the concern becomes the guy is pissed (feels under-appreciated) and goes into the tank on us during the season.
                    if he feels that he's worth more he should wait it out.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                      I don't know that for sure ... no

but I do know that they don't take any of those numbers for anything more than what they are
                      http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/25/pro-fo...orth-analytics

As of 2015 it was 13 teams that were paying him. I didn't say they take it as gospel or that I like PFF or anything. The question asked was if NFL teams are interested in PFF metrics and the answer is yes, even if fans are not.

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post
                      doesn't the moneyball guy run the browns?

not exactly a testament to effectiveness...
                      He does. I never said it works lol.
                      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

I've got no way of knowing how much teams actually use PFF.
                        I'd be inclined to think though, if at all, it would be used by the money guys involved in contracts under the GM's guidance and thats about it.
                        These teams have money to employ their own staff to record playcalls, chart plays, break down and grade every game, themselves.
                        Why would they trust a 3rd party when its their name on the final product on the field?
                        my beer drinking team has a football problem

Comment

Originally posted by poppa smurph View Post
                          I've got no way of knowing how much teams actually use PFF.
                          I'd be inclined to think though, if at all, it would be used by the money guys involved in contracts under the GM's guidance and thats about it.
                          These teams have money to employ their own staff to record playcalls, chart plays, break down and grade every game, themselves.
                          Why would they trust a 3rd party when its their name on the final product on the field?
                          I have no idea why they do it or what they use the data for. I simply answered the question of whether teams are interested in those types of metrics. Even if they collect the data themselves they are using those same metrics and thus show interest. I am not a defender of PFF and I don't really care about them or even like them, just wanted to answer that dudes question.
                          "Next man up"

Comment

Originally posted by Giant303 View Post
                            Hankins seems like he's a run stuffer only. I was expecting him to put up pretty decent sack numbers considering the great players around him. he can't win one on one battles. I wouldn't sign him for more than 4-5 million for 4 years 12 guaranteed.
                            Hankins had more sacks than Harrison, 3-21/2 they both pushed the pocket. Oh and by the way message to PFF Hankins did have a good year and was stellar in the run defense.

Comment

I have no idea why they do it or what they use the data for. I simply answered the question of whether teams are interested in those types of metrics. Even if they collect the data themselves they are using those same metrics and thus show interest. I am not a defender of PFF and I don't really care about them or even like them, just wanted to answer that dudes question.
                              It's quite a system they got at any rate.

I'm a control freak and would have to have my own numbers lol.
                              my beer drinking team has a football problem

Comment

The weird thing about hankins is the three years prior, pff graded him at 79 85 and 80 which are great numbers. There is no reason to believe he cant get back there gradewise and he seemed to have a good year which makes me question the pff system. Maybe because he is doing his job effectively the other guys on the line have an easy enough time making plays before he gets there so he doesnt get the credit from their grading system he deserves.

Comment

Working...
                                X