Wide receivers and injuries.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post
    I think you gotta separate the guys into to classes as there's a big difference between the guys who had one major season/career ending injury (Cruz, SS#12, Ballard) vs. those who got worn down with nagging injuries over time (Hilliard, Nicks, Bavaro)......

Nicks fall from being arguably a top 5 receiver in the game to not being able to make an NFL roster a few years later was incredible (in a bad way). It wasn't one major injury but an ankle...then a foot....then a hammy....to both hammies.....awful.
    It wasn't like a slow rolling effect for Nicks though, he was a god one day and toast the very next

He was coming off his best season in a career that has trended upwards every single year, a magical playoff run, and was in the midst of the best game of his career and then BOOM in one blink of an eye the lights went out, never to be turned on again
    Last edited by Eliordie; 05-15-2017, 03:00 PM.
    If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Originally posted by Eliordie View Post
      Well I mean.. it doesn't increase the individual odds of each player having a career ending injury, there's turnover on every unit of every team every year in the NFL, though I guess as giants fans we've been conditioned to think every player at the skill position is bound to have their career ended by injury at 25 years old , or at least a 75% likelyhood of it lol jk
      My point is, I think our situation is purely unique. We draft a lot of WRs fairly high, and we're probably only one of a handful of teams that do so. Other teams will either just generally not invest so much into that position in general, or will mix veterans into more important roles, which means they won't count towards what we're talking about. I could say this happened to the Ravens quite a bit with Lee Evans, Derrick Mason, Steve Smith, Mark Clayton, Breshad Perriman, etc. but we're talking about a mix of draftees and vets, because they don't exclusively build that position through the draft. Maybe the Bucs, who had Mike Williams, Michael Clayton and Arrelious Benn, Antonio Bryant, along with Vincent Jackson recently. The Vikes with Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin? Or maybe that should be the Seahawks for them, plus Tyler Lockett? The Jets with Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Eric Decker, etc.

Like I said, it's really all about building the narrative. Unless I see something otherwise, I'm decently assured that this happens a lot throughout the league, but more to us because we draft WRs both in quality and in quantity compared to most teams.
      Last edited by Onyxmeth; 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

you can do this for any position on the field ... all 22

what we should be looking at is how the hell has Eli NOT been injured

Comment

And the reasons for that are obvious

Though the rash of which we've had them happening to SO many players at SUCH a young age is very unusual

Also it just always happening to be pretty much our best player

Other teams don't have to deal with it with this kind of regularity (just bad luck)
          Build your team in the trenches, control the line of scrimmage, make your QB comfortable, carry a stable of interchangeable no name receivers (like the good ol' days) - and this is not even a conversation.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post
            I think you gotta separate the guys into to classes as there's a big difference between the guys who had one major season/career ending injury (Cruz, SS#12, Ballard) vs. those who got worn down with nagging injuries over time (Hilliard, Nicks, Bavaro)......

Nicks fall from being arguably a top 5 receiver in the game to not being able to make an NFL roster a few years later was incredible (in a bad way). It wasn't one major injury but an ankle...then a foot....then a hammy....to both hammies.....awful.
            You could go further with this. Cruz's Injury is not from any one source. In other words it did not juts happen. Healthy Tendons just don't fail. It is cumulative micro tears that eventually leads to total rupture.
            Last edited by TEM; 05-15-2017, 04:21 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
              I have been thinking about this for a while and would appreciate any hard data you all may have on the subject.

We have had a string of top receivers, get beat up badly resulting in shortened careers.

Ike Hilliard, Steve Smith, Hakeem Nick and Victor Cruz come quickly to mind.

Is this typical of most teams that their WR have such short careers?
              I don't know, but it probably doesn't help longevity to have WR1/2 primary KR/PR targets

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                I have been thinking about this for a while and would appreciate any hard data you all may have on the subject.

We have had a string of top receivers, get beat up badly resulting in shortened careers.

Ike Hilliard, Steve Smith, Hakeem Nick and Victor Cruz come quickly to mind.

Is this typical of most teams that their WR have such short careers?
                Plax and ODB are the only ones to get to a healthy, productive 3rd year and Plax as we know didn't finish the 4th in a row, you can do it ODB.

Comment

idk if Giants receivers are injured any more than other teams. it may be a "wave" that hits a team at any given date or time. Giants injures at any position are magnified because they are our players.

I haven't done any research on receiver injuries on any team but it doesn't appear to be just a Giants problem.
                  sigpic

Comment

Turf has a lot to do with it (though our string of bad luck is still unusual)

When the league got rid of grass and implemented turf they traded safety for quality, on grass you will have less torn ACLs (your spikes actually have something to drive INTO, absorbing some of the impact that would otherwise all be put directly on your leg) but you will have more slippage and it's a slower surface
                    Cruz got hurt on grass in philly. The first nicks injury also happened on grass in tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

while i do agree, the giants WR curse is one very crazy thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post
                        Cruz got hurt on grass in philly. The first nicks injury also happened on grass in tampa.
                        My friend tore an ACL on grass, you can tear a ligament walking down the street, what's your point?

It's proven that you're more susceptible to it on turf, really it's common sense
                        If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Originally posted by Onyxmeth View Post
                          Like I said previously, I don't think what you're asking for can be figured out by data unless you draw some lines in the sand about what you're looking for. How do we define a top WR? How do we separate an injury prematurely ending a career as opposed to an injury happening and then poor play ending a career? Eventually most wide receivers that were good will end up having an injury that will force retirement, so where do we cut it off age-wise? Do we include players that were already known injury risks prior to drafting/signing like an Alshon Jeffrey for the Eagles?

I could look for or conjure up data points if I knew what you wanted in a way that data could be produced. Right now you're just telling a narrative, and no one is well versed enough to tell the narratives for 31 other teams.
                          mmpa
                          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

I'm wondering how much of a difference our new strength and conditioning program will make. Last year we really seemed to remain healthier then in previous years, although we still had to deal with injuries. If that trend continues it might suggest that the changes McAdoo implemented have been effective. I don't know much about an NFL strength and conditioning program but I'd be curious to learn about how our current program differs from the previous one.

Comment

Originally posted by Makin Plays View Post
                              I'm wondering how much of a difference our new strength and conditioning program will make. Last year we really seemed to remain healthier then in previous years, although we still had to deal with injuries. If that trend continues it might suggest that the changes McAdoo implemented have been effective. I don't know much about an NFL strength and conditioning program but I'd be curious to learn about how our current program differs from the previous one.
                              This is true, and it has been brought up - but not much inside info here, on what the changes have been.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

Not to shed reality into your posts, but Eli has been injured multiple times, he has just played through them. Either because he can handle the pain or because they aren't that serious. I'm not a doctor nor am I privy to the specific information of his injuries even if I were.

Did you mean to ask how Eli has not missed time with an injury?

Comment

Working...
                                X