Wide receivers and injuries.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide receivers and injuries.........

I have been thinking about this for a while and would appreciate any hard data you all may have on the subject.

We have had a string of top receivers, get beat up badly resulting in shortened careers.

Ike Hilliard, Steve Smith, Hakeem Nick and Victor Cruz come quickly to mind.

Is this typical of most teams that their WR have such short careers?
    No one remembers who came in second.

Originally posted by jomo View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a while and would appreciate any hard data you all may have on the subject.

We have had a string of top receivers, get beat up badly resulting in shortened careers.

Your language is very vague. If you want data, you should be more specific about what you would like to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Onyxmeth View Post
      Your language is very vague. If you want data, you should be more specific about what you would like to be found.
      I was really just looking for any data which might shed some light on the subject of whether our WR injuries are typical or atypical.

I looked at Hilliard and Nicks. Although both hung around for awhile, both hit their peak for yardage in year 3 and never got back there. Nicks never got close.

I just never thought of WR as a position where you get banged up so badly but our guys seem to.

We all know that the average career of an NFL RB is about 3.5 years. Does anyone know that figure for WR's........by team ideally?

Comment

I think we all know where this thread is headed. ;-)

But you can even add our tight ends into the mix. Mowatt, Bavaro, Shockey, Boss, and Ballard.

It will be interesting though to see if the defenseless receiver rules do in fact lengthen player's careers.

Comment

With all the cutting and hard planting the position is inherently susceptible to serious lower body injuries.. plus we just happen to have the worst luck.. it hasn't been just receivers though.. over the last 10 years or so we've lost more great young careers in the blink of an eye to an injury than any other team I've ever seen
          If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
            I think we all know where this thread is headed. ;-)

But you can even add our tight ends into the mix. Mowatt, Bavaro, Shockey, Boss, and Ballard.

It will be interesting though to see if the defenseless receiver rules do in fact lengthen player's careers.
            I wasn't going toward strength and conditioning or the new turf. Hope it doesn't devolve into that Rosey.

Hilliard was never the same after that cheap shot from that ******* in Philly.
            Nicks played hurt and I remember him getting his ankles rolled up on a tackle from behind.
            Cruz was hurt while running.
            Hixon also had a weird string of bad leg injuries.
            I don't see any pattern, just wondering really whether this is typical and I just missed the same thing going on around the league..

Comment

Life expectancy of an NFL WR compared to that of a NYG WR

Skill position players tend to tear up their knees before everyone else, but this is just from general analysis

Comment

I wasn't going toward strength and conditioning or the new turf. Hope it doesn't devolve into that Rosey.

Hilliard was never the same after that cheap shot from that ******* in Philly.
                Nicks played hurt and I remember him getting his ankles rolled up on a tackle from behind.
                Cruz was hurt while running.
                Hixon also had a weird string of bad leg injuries.
                I don't see any pattern, just wondering really whether this is typical and I just missed the same thing going on around the league..
                Turf has a lot to do with it (though our string of bad luck is still unusual)

When the league got rid of grass and implemented turf they traded safety for quality, on grass you will have less torn ACLs (your spikes actually have something to drive INTO, absorbing some of the impact that would otherwise all be put directly on your leg) but you will have more slippage and it's a slower surface

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                  Life expectancy of an NFL WR compared to that of a NYG WR

Skill position players tend to tear up their knees before everyone else, but this is just from general analysis
                  And the reasons for that are obvious

Though the rash of which we've had them happening to SO many players at SUCH a young age is very unusual

Also it just always happening to be pretty much our best player

Other teams don't have to deal with it with this kind of regularity (just bad luck)

Comment

I was really just looking for any data which might shed some light on the subject of whether our WR injuries are typical or atypical.

I looked at Hilliard and Nicks. Although both hung around for awhile, both hit their peak for yardage in year 3 and never got back there. Nicks never got close.

I just never thought of WR as a position where you get banged up so badly but our guys seem to.

We all know that the average career of an NFL RB is about 3.5 years. Does anyone know that figure for WR's........by team ideally?
                    Like I said previously, I don't think what you're asking for can be figured out by data unless you draw some lines in the sand about what you're looking for. How do we define a top WR? How do we separate an injury prematurely ending a career as opposed to an injury happening and then poor play ending a career? Eventually most wide receivers that were good will end up having an injury that will force retirement, so where do we cut it off age-wise? Do we include players that were already known injury risks prior to drafting/signing like an Alshon Jeffrey for the Eagles?

I could look for or conjure up data points if I knew what you wanted in a way that data could be produced. Right now you're just telling a narrative, and no one is well versed enough to tell the narratives for 31 other teams.

Comment

You'd be hard pressed to find a decent WR that has not dealt with lower leg injuries......

**knocks on wood for Odell

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                        You'd be hard pressed to find a decent WR that has not dealt with lower leg injuries......

**knocks on wood for Odell
                        Career ending ones at 25 years old.. on star players who's careers have gotten off to and incredible start

Literally yesterday a god, today toast for life, one blink of an eye, done..

Has happened to us far more than any other team, not just at receiver either, though there's a rediculous spree there alone

Comment

Originally posted by Eliordie View Post
                          Career ending ones at 25 years old.. on star players who's careers have gotten off to and incredible start

Literally yesterday a god, today toast for life, one blink of an eye, done..

Has happened to us far more than any other team, not just at receiver either, though there's a rediculous spree there alone
                          Aren't these things a bit of a snowball effect though? It takes the injury of a former player to lead into the potential for the future player to get injured. Also it could be attributed to us investing more into the position than a lot of other teams do, which puts us at risk for this happening.

Comment

I think you gotta separate the guys into to classes as there's a big difference between the guys who had one major season/career ending injury (Cruz, SS#12, Ballard) vs. those who got worn down with nagging injuries over time (Hilliard, Nicks, Bavaro)......

Nicks fall from being arguably a top 5 receiver in the game to not being able to make an NFL roster a few years later was incredible (in a bad way). It wasn't one major injury but an ankle...then a foot....then a hammy....to both hammies.....awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Onyxmeth View Post
                              Aren't these things a bit of a snowball effect though? It takes the injury of a former player to lead into the potential for the future player to get injured. Also it could be attributed to us investing more into the position than a lot of other teams do, which puts us at risk for this happening.
                              Well I mean.. it doesn't increase the individual odds of each player having a career ending injury, there's turnover on every unit of every team every year in the NFL, though I guess as giants fans we've been conditioned to think every player at the skill position is bound to have their career ended by injury at 25 years old , or at least a 75% likelyhood of it lol jk

Comment

Working...
                              X