Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Giants planning to use 1st-round pick Evan Engram the wrong way?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed.
    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

This thread is hilarious. One of the funniest I have seen in this board in a while

And if most of you aren't trolling it is even FUNNIER (in a sad way)
      Last edited by TE88; 05-18-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmike View Post
        This is my only concern right here. Either he is lying, which does not speak well for him as a person or he really doesn't know, which does not speak well for him as a coach.
        The word of the day is "sardonic".
        Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
          The word of the day is "sardonic".
          When you win a Super Bowl or two, you can get snarky with the media. That is the team's conduit for speaking to the fans. So if their opinion of their customers is so low that they will speak in that manner to us, why should we support them. Sorry, but the disrespect rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
            This is what is scary. HE is basically a young Brandon Marshall that we will use in the slot. Will that take snaps away from Shep? Will is take snaps away from Marshall? Will we totally misuse him like we did Travis Beckum?

I think EE will be a stat machine..... if the offense is right.
            We were in 3 wide sets 95% of the time last year, that won't happen again, which means yes Shep will see less time on the field. Ditto for Marshall. Did we misuse Beckum or maybe he just wasn't that good, the guy never made another team after we cut him. What are you basing the "young Marshall" comment on? His size? Did Marshall play TE in college?
            LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
            "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
              We were in 3 wide sets 95% of the time last year, that won't happen again, which means yes Shep will see less time on the field. Ditto for Marshall. Did we misuse Beckum or maybe he just wasn't that good, the guy never made another team after we cut him. What are you basing the "young Marshall" comment on? His size? Did Marshall play TE in college?
              Doesn't matter if Beckham was misused or not. This is a different coaching staff and scheme than when Beckham was on the team. So it's pretty irrelevant,.
              All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                Yeah kind of a goofy response. I guess one could argue there is no such thing as an HBack position label for a player. Similar to how we don't call anyone a tailback or halfback anymore and instead just say runningback. This entire "he lined up in the slot 50% of the time so he is a big WR" stigma is complete crap. He was in-line 35% of the time. How many WRs in college or the NFL line up "in-line" 1/3 of the time? Zero. This article is based on 1 mans opinion of the "right way" to use him. It's an opinion though.

He play TE in college, he was drafted as a TE and Mac is going to try his best to make him a TE in the NFL. Whether that is successful or not will be determined on the field, not by an analyst and not on these boards.
                If you do not think scheme matched with a players skill set doesn't have a drastic effect on that players success then you are very very out of your element here. They go hand in hand.

How this guy is used will be very very important to how good he is. But you can pretend we are playing madden where position doesn't mean crap and players will dominate anywhere you put them. Welcome to the real world where these things matter.

He will have the most success in his career when he is split vs inline. Take that however you want it. And stop bashing your head against the wall, you're gonna knock yourself out.

Comment

When you win a Super Bowl or two, you can get snarky with the media. That is the team's conduit for speaking to the fans. So if their opinion of their customers is so low that they will speak in that manner to us, why should we support them. Sorry, but the disrespect rubs me the wrong way.
                  Yeah, I mean, could you imagine TC saying something like this?

Look, he's the HC, so I support him. But your team went 11-5 because of the defense. So start showing some offense we can appreciate, and then you can be as snarky as you want.

Frankly, I'm beginning to think he's an *******.
                  "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                  "No...I didn't."
                  "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
                    Doesn't matter if Beckham was misused or not. This is a different coaching staff and scheme than when Beckham was on the team. So it's pretty irrelevant,.
                    I agree.

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                    If you do not think scheme matched with a players skill set doesn't have a drastic effect on that players success then you are very very out of your element here. They go hand in hand.

How this guy is used will be very very important to how good he is. But you can pretend we are playing madden where position doesn't mean crap and players will dominate anywhere you put them. Welcome to the real world where these things matter.

He will have the most success in his career when he is split vs inline. Take that however you want it. And stop bashing your head against the wall, you're gonna knock yourself out.
                    1) Of course how a player is used matters. Fact is Beckham never made it with any team. If his failure was a product of our coaching staff surely he would have caught on someplace more suitable...but he didn't.

2) You can't possibly know he will have the most success split vs inline. He will be much better off facing a LB than facing a CB. To suggest otherwise is foolish. You can keep saying he is a WR all you want, until he takes the field is isn't a TE I will consider him a TE.

3) You never responded about your bet proposal. Still want to bet he isn't split wide 85% of the time.
                    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

This is my only concern right here. Either he is lying, which does not speak well for him as a person or he really doesn't know, which does not speak well for him as a coach.
                      He was a TE coach for 2 different NFL teams...he knows what an H-back is.
                      1. Ryan Ramcyzk, OT, Wisconsin
                      2. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
                      3. Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama
                      4. Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by paul98 View Post
                        He was a TE coach for 2 different NFL teams...he knows what an H-back is.
                        anyone who thinks he actually meant that he literally doesn't know what an H back is may have a problem with the nuances of human communication

Comment

a lot of coaches don't like the term "H back" because it isn't something that actually exists in the context to which it is referred to today in a lot of their worlds

you have to understand where the term comes from ... it comes from guys like Joe Gibbs who would spread the field with 3 receivers and no TE then use one of their backs ... the backs were labeled H and F ... half and full ... the H in Gibbs system would sometimes come down to the TE position and take on TE type responsibilities ... this turned into this "H back" thing that exists today

coach McAdoo .... like many coaches in the league ... do not believe in this term when referring to someone who is not actually a backfield player ... in their word it is simply a TE

this is why he responded the way he did

coaching and coaching philosophies are traditional things ... they celebrate the tradition of their roots

Comment

I am beginning to think mac is an idot

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                              Oh...God
                              Originally posted by bashful View Post
                              I am beginning to think mac is an idot
                              https://www.google.com/search?q=ben+...d_q9fYi-MBEyM:

VS.

https://www.google.com/search?q=famo...yP1piUOCL0CNM:

MACADOOOOOOOOOOOOOODLE!

http://www.tv.com/news/whose-famous-...ed-poll-30026/

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                                a lot of coaches don't like the term "H back" because it isn't something that actually exists in the context to which it is referred to today in a lot of their worlds

you have to understand where the term comes from ... it comes from guys like Joe Gibbs who would spread the field with 3 receivers and no TE then use one of their backs ... the backs were labeled H and F ... half and full ... the H in Gibbs system would sometimes come down to the TE position and take on TE type responsibilities ... this turned into this "H back" thing that exists today

coach McAdoo .... like many coaches in the league ... do not believe in this term when referring to someone who is not actually a backfield player ... in their word it is simply a TE

this is why he responded the way he did

coaching and coaching philosophies are traditional things ... they celebrate the tradition of their roots
                                Oh, well I am glad he acted like a condesending **** then; because that was totally called for as a response to a rather inoccuous question.

Comment

Working...
                                X