How Giants' kicking competition will work this summer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TEM View Post
    I am not saying he is not going to be good kicker. I want all our players to excel. . He has not had one NFL snap . How is he an upgrade when so much has yet to be known? No one knows how he will react in the NFL with the game on the line . Good prospect definitely. Upgrade?
    Outstanding range and accuracy. As long as the Oline gives him time to kick, he could be great. How much different is kicking in the NFL? A lot of the kickers were former soccer players.

Comment

that time of year when football is still a few months away, not much to talk about, so let obsess about our kicker situation.....sigh. season needs to start already lol

from what i've seen, the kid has potential. powerful leg. but lets not overanalyze things. yea we all would like this kid to be the next Janikowski and maybe he will. but if coaches see he struggles in training camp and preseason they'll sign a vet. simple as that

Comment

Originally posted by nygfan0816 View Post
        that time of year when football is still a few months away, not much to talk about, so let obsess about our kicker situation.....sigh. season needs to start already lol

from what i've seen, the kid has potential. powerful leg. but lets not overanalyze things. yea we all would like this kid to be the next Janikowski and maybe he will. but if coaches see he struggles in training camp and preseason they'll sign a vet. simple as that
        Kickers can often be the difference between super bowl ring and heartbreak never to be gotten over, and what reliable kickers are available? It's a very valid concern

Don't like this and it's very unlike us, we usually have a reliable vet at the position, never any bombers but guys who can regularly put though 40 something yarders and can kick in big spots without us all ****ting our pants TOO much
        If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Originally posted by Eliordie View Post
          Kickers can often be the difference between super bowl ring and heartbreak never to be gotten over, and what reliable kickers are available? It's a very valid concern

Don't like this and it's very unlike us, we usually have a reliable vet at the position, never any bombers but guys who can regularly put though 40 something yarders and can kick in big spots without us all ****ting our pants TOO much
          I agree. In the past we've brought in guys like Carney, Tynes, Brown, Andersen, etc. Maybe they didn't have 60 yard FG type power but you could count on them from 45 in most of the time.

I'm glad everyone is excited about Rosas but kicking in the NFL is about much more than the strength of your leg. Has this kid ever kicked in a truly high pressure situation with a huge amount of people watching? Southern Oregon isn't exactly big time college football.

I'm totally fine with the Giants going with this guy, but they better have a backup plan when he starts missing extra points and 32 yard chip shots in key situations.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
            I am not saying he is not going to be good kicker. I want all our players to excel. . He has not had one NFL snap . How is he an upgrade when so much has yet to be known? No one knows how he will react in the NFL with the game on the line . Good prospect definitely. Upgrade?
            The same could be said of every rookie in the league. How do we know Engram is an upgrade over Donnell?

It's not ideal to be starting a rookie kicker, but if you think a guy is a talent, he's gonna have to get experience somehow. Every kicker in the league was an unknown quantity at one point in their careers. This is likely the best option for them to find out if they've found a long term solution at the position. Give the kid every single rep in the pre-season and see if he performs to the level you expect out of the position. If he doesn't, they can bring in one of the vet kickers that are out there.

Rosas is likely the only option right now that has the potential to be an actual upgrade over Gould from last year.
            All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
              How do we know Engram is an upgrade over Donnell?
              There are some things you can 100% bank on in life. The above would be one of them.

Comment

I don't think this is a big issue.

This kid and the inevitable veteran kicker that will be available after cut downs should more than suffice. For a FO that has been known to keep play it fast and loose with the trenches the way ours does, I'm hard pressed to get too worked up over a kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                  There are some things you can 100% bank on in life. The above would be one of them.
                  +1

Comment

This is the issue this team has that nobody is talking about.

You have 60 page threads on this board moaning because Beckham missed OTAs. Wait until we miss a 36 yarder in a huge spot in January.
                    This is not an issue at the moment. The Giants will do what they should do. Rosas will be given training camp and preseason to see if hes ready to be the full time K. If they feel he is not, there is always a veteran K available to sign. That is what they will do although I am hoping Rosas is the guy.

Comment

Can't wait

Comment

This is the issue this team has that nobody is talking about.

You have 60 page threads on this board moaning because Beckham missed OTAs. Wait until we miss a 36 yarder in a huge spot in January.
                        I have to believe they'll find a fairly decent veteran in Free Agency if the rookie kicker isn't doing well.

I much prefer having a good and known quantity at kicker going into the season. Losing a game on a last second missed yet easily doable FG is going to p*** off a lot of people.

From what I recall reading, he's awesome on XP attempts. But his FG % stunk. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I saw that.

Comment

Originally posted by JJC7301 View Post
                          I have to believe they'll find a fairly decent veteran in Free Agency if the rookie kicker isn't doing well.

I much prefer having a good and known quantity at kicker going into the season. Losing a game on a last second missed yet easily doable FG is going to p*** off a lot of people.

From what I recall reading, he's awesome on XP attempts. But his FG % stunk. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I saw that.
                          Look at it this way. Right now, the only vet FA on the market is Dan Carpenter. Last year he missed 5 XPs and had a 76% FG percentage. So why sign a guy like that before seeing what you have in your young K? If Rosas doesnt show well, you can sign Carpenter or a vet that is released before the season begins.

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post
                            Look at it this way. Right now, the only vet FA on the market is Dan Carpenter. Last year he missed 5 XPs and had a 76% FG percentage. So why sign a guy like that before seeing what you have in your young K? If Rosas doesnt show well, you can sign Carpenter or a vet that is released before the season begins.
                            They'll be a lot of solid kickers available come Sept.1st

Comment

Working...
                            X