Is it time to move on from Dwayne Harris

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TEM View Post
    The giant had 3 receivers that stayed healthy the entire season. Again your point is moot. When Cruz was out for the 15 season. A combination of him and Vareen had comparable number out of the slot as Shep did last season.
    Let me add he is a top 10 kick returner even if you do not believe it.
    sigpic

Comment

The Giants offense need all the return yards they can get to start drives. Who is anyone kidding here? lol

Comment

Originally posted by coachf14 View Post
        Generally speaking I thought Harris did a "pretty good job" as a gunner {not being an expert or anything}, but there was not much to the rest of his game.

29 punt returns with a 5.9 avg and 17 long with three fumbles it looked like the Giants have moved on from him as the PR

22 kick returns with a 24.2 avg (decent job) long of 46 with 3 over 40 out of 22.

1 reception as a WR for 13yds and a TD.

With Tavares King, Darius Powe, Roger Lewis {legal issues} and Travis Rudolph (who I like a lot) I almost think he is our 6th, 7th, or maybe even our 8th best receiver.

If he is not going to return punts and we can find a KR from one of the DBs, WRs (Rudolph?) and an adequate gunner do we move on as he approaches 30?
        The guy single handedly flipped the field for us last year a ton of times pinning teams at or near the goal line. His highlight being that play where he used an Opposing player to bounce the ball off of to keep it from being a touch back, waiting till last second to do it until it was to late for the player to get out of the way. He is invaluable to this Team.
        Football has been very, very good to us.
        After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
        But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
        2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
        3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
        4-New York Giants!!!
        5-NE
        Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
          the dude was playing through more injuries than any fan knew about last season

when healthy he is an asset to the team
          No doubt but they obviously did him no favors by playing him injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
            No doubt but they obviously did him no favors by playing him injured.
            Everyone plays injured

Comment

This year will be his last year on his contract ?
              Also, didn't he adjust his contract for cap space ?

Comment

Never mind he is a to 10 kick returner and pro bowler. That is of no consequence. You do know punt return numbers take into account fair catches. But according to you he should be cut because of his punt return numbers.

Sounds like you got it down on who should be cut.
                It's his opinion dude and one he tried to make a legitimate argument for...get off his back pls. I see your point and agree with both of you and I'm honestly not trying to be a **** just letting you know it comes off as confrontational and aggressive when it is absolutely unnecessary. I am in no way saying don't disagree with people I am asking if you can reread your replies and actually think it's not aggressive...we have had this convo remember all the times I have to preface "even tho I disagree with you on this specific topic I am not trying to claim you're the devil lol"...it sort of is bc of replies like that. No offense intended happy father's day and I enjoy reading your comments most the time. Take care.

Comment

Even if that is true your argument is weak. Your whole claim is about punt returns not the whole story. I get it you don't the guy. You don't care he is a good kick returner . You don,t care he was selected to the pro bowl. You don't care he is the best Special teams tackler on the team Your reasons for cutting him are ridiculous.
                  Is this for real...ugh I'm not even gonna bother...

Well maybe I will....

Yes actually attempting to make his argument and he's actually doing a much better job. For someone who claims his opinion is ridic you haven't really done a good job like at all in clarifying why you basically just singled HIM out not even his claim and went to town pretty much solely bc he has a diff opinion than you (I know the feeling).

He actually HAS made several fair points
                  And on the other end of the spectrum others ha e made their fair points for keeping him. You ain't one of them. No one is reading your comments....they aren't reading them and going, "aahhh haaaa."

Not trying to be rude its just hard seeing this types of comments.

I think Harris should get a fair chance to prove or reestablish his value. He has shown to be a quality ST and I wonder why he never gets looks at wide out when he sort of has consistently made plays when called upon.

But i also see the flip side: age and cost and a depreciating level of play potentially due to injuries which in itself is another potential reason for going a diff direction

Sorry I got aggressive and confrontational there too its easy I get it and its only visible bc typically you enact like the opposite of the behavior being cited and are super respectful so maybe it blew a fuse seeing the replies here. No disrespect meant truthfully. Happy father's day

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                    the dude was playing through more injuries than any fan knew about last season

when healthy he is an asset to the team
                    I agree with this. He was banged up a whole lot last year and still managed to be one of the best gunners in the league. Let's see a healthy Harris out there on the grind and then pass judgment.
                    sigpic

Comment

Harris also took a massive paycut to stay on the team. Just letting some know that fact when they say that he is getting too much money.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post
                        Harris also took a massive paycut to stay on the team. Just letting some know that fact when they say that he is getting too much money.
                        "Massive pay cut" is non specific. What matters is what he will make in 2017, not what he MIGHT HAVE, BUT NOW WON'T make. I don't know anything about this source but I found this article about Harris' reduction in pay: (source is Giants Wire)

"Initially slated to earn a base salary of $2.975 million in 2017, Harris will now be owed $2.475 million. That accounts for a $500,000 savings against the cap for the Giants."

At $2.475 million, he is still at risk of not making this team. He is an excellent and courageous ST player who does not change the field with his returns. He is ordinary in that regard. We may find a reserve DB or WR or RB who can fill our needs there for a $1.5m+ savings. If the drop off is not too great, it is worth considering.

A dollar saved anywhere within the cap is a dollar that can be deployed to greater need elsewhere. I am not saying that I want him to go, just that the dollars he is receiving are significant for a guy of his somewhat narrow skills.............He will not see the field as a WR unless.........well I don't want to even think about that.
                        Last edited by jomo; 06-18-2017, 05:41 PM.
                        No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by mainegiantsfan View Post
                          Way underrated as a receiver. He came here hoping he would get a chance as a WR and we didn't give it to him. I've been rooting for him since we got him. I'd love to know the reason they don't use him more, from a coach's perspective.
                          He is a solid #4 or 5 WR. I think they didn't use him as much because of injuries

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                            "Massive pay cut" is non specific. What matters is what he will make in 2017, not what he MIGHT HAVE, BUT NOW WON'T make. I don't know anything about this source but I found this article about Harris' reduction in pay: (source is Giants Wire)

"Initially slated to earn a base salary of $2.975 million in 2017, Harris will now be owed $2.475 million. That accounts for a $500,000 savings against the cap for the Giants."

At $2.475 million, he is still at risk of not making this team. He is an excellent and courageous ST player who does not change the field with his returns. He is ordinary in that regard. We may find a reserve DB or WR or RB who can fill our needs there for a $1.5m+ savings. If the drop off is not too great, it is worth considering.

A dollar saved anywhere within the cap is a dollar that can be deployed to greater need elsewhere. I am not saying that I want him to go, just that the dollars he is receiving are significant for a guy of his somewhat narrow skills.............He will not see the field as a WR unless.........well I don't want to even think about that.
                            I doubt he is at risk of not making the team. Who are they going to sign at this point who can do everything he is capable of? If he has a good year returning the ball he will have well earned the salary.

I just want him to be good at returns so OBJ doesn't have to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
                              I doubt he is at risk of not making the team. Who are they going to sign at this point who can do everything he is capable of? If he has a good year returning the ball he will have well earned the salary.

I just want him to be good at returns so OBJ doesn't have to do it.
                              I don't have any interest in OBJ returning punts or kickoffs. Obviously, we can still use an OL and an extra $1.5m is not chump change with whatever else we have in the bank. I am not saying I want it, just that it might present us a $ opportunity if some of the young skill players step up.
                              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post
                                He is a solid #4 or 5 WR. I think they didn't use him as much because of injuries
                                Makes perfect sense. Here's hoping he has a great 2017.

Comment

Working...
                                X