Is it time to move on from Dwayne Harris

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to move on from Dwayne Harris

Generally speaking I thought Harris did a "pretty good job" as a gunner {not being an expert or anything}, but there was not much to the rest of his game.

29 punt returns with a 5.9 avg and 17 long with three fumbles it looked like the Giants have moved on from him as the PR

22 kick returns with a 24.2 avg (decent job) long of 46 with 3 over 40 out of 22.

1 reception as a WR for 13yds and a TD.

With Tavares King, Darius Powe, Roger Lewis {legal issues} and Travis Rudolph (who I like a lot) I almost think he is our 6th, 7th, or maybe even our 8th best receiver.

If he is not going to return punts and we can find a KR from one of the DBs, WRs (Rudolph?) and an adequate gunner do we move on as he approaches 30?

He is the best Special Teams player on the team. Made the pro bowl because of it. With Lewis most likely not making the team( also a very good ST player). He has a secure roster spot because he is a gunner.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
      He is the best Special Teams player on the team. Made the pro bowl because of it. With Lewis most likely not making the team( also a very good ST player). He has a secure roster spot because he is a gunner.
      He is not a real threat in the offensive part of ST and that means he is mostly a gunner. He was a good one and may still be a good one but salary considerations are real.
      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Thy kept Tyree on the roster for years because of his ST skills as a gunner. Mind you, they didn't pay him what Harris is getting, but still, Harris is a nice weapon in that regard
        The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

the dude was playing through more injuries than any fan knew about last season

when healthy he is an asset to the team

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
            He is not a real threat in the offensive part of ST and that means he is mostly a gunner. He was a good one and may still be a good one but salary considerations are real.
            He was still a top 10 kick returner in total yardage and in the top 5 in average yards per return.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...16/returns.htm
            sigpic

Comment

Total yes can be misleading

another way of looking at it is:

He was 36th in avg yds per punt return of all players with at least 10 returns

He was 15th in avg yds per kickoff return of all players with at least 10 returns.

We were using Odell to return punts late in the season which is just outright scary.

Reminds me of Jason Seehorn????

Comment

I dont see why he is not used in the WR game.....Every throw to him was like a TD, and he blocks way better then Victor Snooze. I guess Guru McAdoo cant come up with a play for him.
                Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                  the dude was playing through more injuries than any fan knew about last season

when healthy he is an asset to the team
                  He is a very tough gamer, I agree. Remember that hit he took trying to break a punt return just before a half time? I never thought he would get up after that but he played in the next half.

It will still come down to dollars and cents. He is certainly a year older (like you and me) and he is still highly paid AND he doesn't change field position with his returns...........so there may be a more cost effective option for us......even if they aren't better players, they may be good enough at a third the cost. We'll see, that is why we have coaches and a GM to sort that stuff out in camp.
                  No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by coachf14 View Post

He was 15th in avg yds per kickoff return of all players with at least 10 returns.

We were using Odell to return punts late in the season which is just outright scary.

absolutely nothing wrong with using a valuable player who excels with the ball in their hands as a returner in special situations ... and they will continue to do so

no reason not to ...

Odell could return a kick 50 yards .. then on the very next play get popped on a crossing route and not get up

it's football

Comment

His dead money is the same as his cap hit

They save nothing by cutting him

He makes the team

Not sure how he played gunner so well being injured

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                        absolutely nothing wrong with using a valuable player who excels with the ball in their hands as a returner in special situations ... and they will continue to do so

no reason not to ...

Odell could return a kick 50 yards .. then on the very next play get popped on a crossing route and not get up

it's football
                        100%.

The "...but Jason Sehorn..." stuff needs to stop. 17-18 years ago, for Pete's sake.

Not only that, but Odell returned for TWO TDs in his few return attempts, only to have them cancelled due to fouls by the return blockers. The dude is scary as a returner, all right--but in a good way for the Giants. Becham's the scariest player on the field whenever he's out there. It's insane for fans to be afraid to see him in SELECTED return situations, as he's been used in his 3 years so far.

Comment

Originally posted by coachf14 View Post

link please
                          sigpic

Comment

Harris is underrated.

Way underrated as a receiver. He came here hoping he would get a chance as a WR and we didn't give it to him. I've been rooting for him since we got him. I'd love to know the reason they don't use him more, from a coach's perspective.
                            Last edited by mainegiantsfan; 06-17-2017, 03:30 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

2016 NFL kick & punt returns | pro-football-reference.com is the place and I had to add them up to come up with the numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X