Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Coughlin better Giants Coach than Parcells?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Coughlin better Giants Coach than Parcells?

Alot of similarities.

Playoff record, 8-3 vs. 7-3

i'm wondering if the opponents tip the scales on this one.

Should be a good discussion now.

sigpic

Re: Is Coughlin better than Parcells?

Maybe from a coaching standpoint, but keep in mind the Parcells accomplishments goes beyond coaching. He turned a horrible Pats team into contenders. He turned the Cowboys team around. He turned the Dolphins team around.

So imo, Parcells has done a lot more.

Comment

[quote user="gumby742"]

Maybe from a coaching standpoint, but keep in mind the Parcells accomplishments goes beyond coaching. He turned a horrible Pats team into contenders. He turned the Cowboys team around. He turned the Dolphins team around.

[/quote]

Career wise there's no comparison.

What about from a Giants perspective.

Who was the better Giants coach?

sigpic

Comment

there both 8-3 in the playoffs btw :P
        "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Comment

Maybe Coughlin because during the Parcells era you could actually play defense.

Comment

Gotta go with Tuna. The division and the conference was much tougher than it is now. We went into SF this year and won, but when Parcells did that it was with his backup QB against the 2time defending SB champs (maybe one of the best teams of alltime the year before.)

Comment

Parcells is still more accomplished:

3 SB Appearances with 2 different teams.
              2 SB wins
              1 extra Championship appearance (w/ Jets)
              Rebult 4 clubs (Giants, Pats, Jets, Cowboys), 3 of which were one or two win teams when he took them over.
              Playoff appearances with 4 different teams.
              Championship appearances with 3 different teams.

The fact that Parcells didn't get into the HoF this year was a travesty (especially with Marv Levy in there) and a testament to how many feathers he's ruffled.

Having said that, Tom is right up there.

2 SB wins
              2 extra Championship games
              Built an expansion team from the ground up
              Championship appearances with 2 different teams.
              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="Jotun_Fan"]Gotta go with Tuna. The division and the conference was much tougher than it is now. We went into SF this year and won, but when Parcells did that it was with his backup QB against the 2time defending SB champs (maybe one of the best teams of alltime the year before.)[/quote]

doesn't that line up pretty equally with beating a 18-0 Pats team in the SB?

sigpic

Comment

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"][quote user="gumby742"]

Maybe from a coaching standpoint, but keep in mind the Parcells accomplishments goes beyond coaching.* He turned a horrible Pats team into contenders.* He turned the Cowboys team around.* He turned the Dolphins team around.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Having lived through both, Tuna's teams were definitely more dominant overall.

This Giants team has a more prolific offense however.

It'd be close. I think I still give it to Tuna because he did one SB with a backup QB.

But very close at this point.
                  I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Re: Is Coughlin better Giants Coach than Parcells?

He could be in a bit it time. Another year or two maybe.
                    Peace,
                    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Comment

Just judging by their season-by-season record, they're exactly tied numbers-wise. Both of them started with a losing record and then made the playoffs three straight times and won the Super Bowl in their fourth years. They then each had only one playoff trip the next three years and then won it all again in their eighth years.

Both Parcells and Coughlin have, in their 8 years, brought us five playoffs appearances, three division titles and two Lombardi trophies.

And weirdly enough, both of their second SB wins were with teams with one less regular season win than their first time.

Comment

[quote user="gumby742"]

Maybe from a coaching standpoint, but keep in mind the Parcells accomplishments goes beyond coaching.* He turned a horrible Pats team into contenders.* He turned the Cowboys team around.* He turned the Dolphins team around.

[/quote]That's true that's why he is slightly ahead ATM. But don't forget TC Took a expansion jags team to afccg twice and the 1st time in only his 2nd year. If he gets or wins another sb then no question. Don't forget about salary cap as well
                        Peace,
                        DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Comment

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"][quote user="gumby742"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Probably Parcells, just based on the fact that we were a dominant team under him. Under Coughlin we had late season swoons and for the most part unimpressive/under achieving teams. We won 2 SB, but we weren't as convincing. Although to be fair, Parcells didn't have to deal with the salary cap either.

Comment

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

[quote user="Jotun_Fan"]Gotta go with Tuna. The division and the conference was much tougher than it is now. We went into SF this year and won, but when Parcells did that it was with his backup QB against the 2time defending SB champs (maybe one of the best teams of alltime the year before.)[/quote]

doesn't that line up pretty equally with beating a 18-0 Pats team in the SB?

[/quote]

It's close, but I still give the edge to Tuna since he had a backup QB and it was in San Francisco and not a neutral site. But the NFC and the East in particular was a dogfight every year Tuna was a coach. I feel like the playoff losses Tuna had were to superior teams, where I'm not sure I can say that about Coughlin teams. Being beat 23-0 at home by Carolina? Compare that to when the Giants in 85 lost to the Bears and maybe it could have been close if Landeta doesn't whiff on a punt. In 89 they're beat in overtime when mark collins with a broken foot is beat deep. Two of Tuna's playoff losses were to arguably some of the best super bowl winning teams.

Comment

I'll take coach Coughlin

Comment

Working...
                              X