Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

to help you understand why the cap is a struggle for us........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to help you understand why the cap is a struggle for us........

this is slightly misleading because of how cap hits vary year-to-year, but it still provides perspective.

From a cap perspective:

Bradshaw/Jacobs together are a $2.3 million higher cap hit than if our backfield was Adrian Peterson and Danny Ware.

The difference in cap hit between Chris Canty and Justin Smith (49ers) is $545,000.

We could save $2.85 million against our cap if we were starting Troy Polamalu instead of Antrelle Rolle.

If we could scratch up an extra $840,000 of cap space we could start Nick Mangold for the same cap hit as David Baas.

i know, i know, cap hits change , JPP is way below what he's worth on the field, yadda, yadda, yadda.

i'm pointing this out in a desperate attempt to have fans temper their expectations of what we can do with our roster next year.

In Reese i Trust.

sigpic

Re: to help you understand why the cap is a struggle for us........

D. - all of the above.

Comment

Also, all those contracts were written at a time when the projected cap for these upcoming years would have been $20m+ higher under the old CBA.

JR is going to be busy restructuring a lot of contracts and/or cutting players this offseason.

And CDN, you should know better than to think that more the a few people around here will react rationally about our cap situation come FA. Everyone will be pissed we didn't sign [insert marquee FA here] when FA rolls around.

Much like this past offseason.......................

Comment

[quote user="Drez"]

Also, all those contracts were written at a time when the projected cap for these upcoming years would have been $20m+ higher under the old CBA.

JR is going to be busy restructuring a lot of contracts and/or cutting players this offseason.

And CDN, you should know better than to think that more the a few people around here will react rationally about our cap situation come FA. Everyone will be pissed we didn't sign [insert marquee FA here] when FA rolls around.

Much like this past offseason.......................

[/quote]

i hate free agents.

free agents are most of our biggest cap numbers this year.
        sigpic

Comment

so your telling me cause of the cap were going to lose alot of playmakers that helped us get here to begin with?

i highly doubt reese allows this too happen his job is on the line. if the eagles can do what they did in free agency last year we can find a way to retain atleast 95% of the original roster.

we dont need bass / or deihl i love deihl alot but beatty will be back and i think give boothe an offseason to learn center he can do the job and petrus can step in and be a good LG

Comment

Canadian, why does it appear that JR is kind of a nob when it comes to finagling with the cap.

I mean year in and out does it not seem like the Eagles, Redskins, and Cowboys GMs play with the cap better?

Granted, you cannot argue with JR's success, and this even goes back to Accorsi' days, but wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to sign someone if we wanted to fill a hole?

We pick our spots with free agents, and do ok - you can't been exclusive in either way of building, ie draft or FAs only - but this year, for example, it would be fantastic to sign a left tackle and tight end for example, and draft hella defense to fill our needs.

Why does it seem like other GMs can sign somebody on a whim to a big contract even when they are over the cap, and we seem to always be operating jumping on one leg with a hand tied behind our back in a street fight?

Comment

[quote user="raintheory"] i highly doubt reese allows this too happen his job is on the line.[/quote]

You seriously think Reese's job is on the line right now ?!? I think the eagles went into last season with like 45+ million of cap room. They had a ton of huge contracts off the books. That is the only reason they were able to sign people the way they did.

Comment

LETS GET PEYTON HILLIS

Comment

haha my Ihop nice

JR plays the cap, he worked us room a couple years back with Expected to Achieve bonuses that were never able to achieve

Comment

[quote user="flimflam"]Canadian, why does it appear that JR is kind of a nob when it comes to finagling with the cap. I mean year in and out does it not seem like the Eagles, Redskins, and Cowboys GMs play with the cap better? Granted, you cannot argue with JR's success, and this even goes back to Accorsi' days, but wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to sign someone if we wanted to fill a hole? We pick our spots with free agents, and do ok - you can't been exclusive in either way of building, ie draft or FAs only - but this year, for example, it would be fantastic to sign a left tackle and tight end for example, and draft hella defense to fill our needs. Why does it seem like other GMs can sign somebody on a whim to a big contract even when they are over the cap, and we seem to always be operating jumping on one leg with a hand tied behind our back in a street fight?[/quote]

i think he takes some FA shots in spots (DT, safety) and then drafts replacements so when he gets to the higher cap years of the contracts, he has the option of asking for money back or he can cut they guys with young talanet available to fill in.

Joeseph and Austin are great examples of the kind of insurance he was hoping for when he got to Canty's higher cap years.

same thing with Chad Jones and Antrelle Rolle.

due to injury some of these things haven't worked out for us, but i think that was his mindset.

in terms of the other teams in our division, the only one that seems to have better cap management is the Eagles.

i guess you could make a case for the Redskins, but they don't have as much talent in the skill positions as we do, which means they have alot more money available.

the Cowboys are no better with the cap than us. i remember Jerry in the offseason in a interview with the NFL network, and he said they were going to have some 'challenges' with the cap this year, and they certainly do.

I absolutely can't argue with Reese's roster success.I'm interested to seehow he sustains our current level of talentwith our cap challenges.

bottom line,given some of the skillplayers we have (Eli, Snee, CWeb, JPP, Tuck) most fans will have to accept that alot ofour improvement each year is going to have to come fromdrafting insteadof FA.

sigpic

Comment

i realize the -$1MM, but i don't think we are in that bad of shape and i'm a big believer in continuing to try to build the team thru the draft and even thru undrafted FAs

and let's face it, when you win the Super Bowl, you basically hit the reset button, because there is no way you can fault any decisions that led to winning the Super Bowl ... it's really only decisions going forward now that anyone can complain about

i whined about Canty's contract, but there is no way in heck now that i would use my time machine and change that move, so it is all about what we do going forward now

Comment

KMac's contract being up, Jacobs getting cut or restructured, Canty and Rolle and hopefully Baas getting restructured, and dealing Osi would free up a ton of space.

Comment

[quote user="raintheory"]so your telling me cause of the cap were going to lose alot of playmakers that helped us get here to begin with?

i highly doubt reese allows this too happen his job is on the line. if the eagles can do what they did in free agency last year we can find a way to retain atleast 95% of the original roster.

we dont need bass / or deihl i love deihl alot but beatty will be back and i think give boothe an offseason to learn center he can do the job and petrus can step in and be a good LG
                          [/quote]

that happens no matter what

Why would Reese's job be on th eline? He grabbed two superbowls in 5 years.

Your always going to have player movement, especially with team success. Thats why the draft is so important.

Baas had a great superbowl and the jury is out on him. Cutting him now would be a waste of money for no reason. It wouldn't even give us barely any cap break.

Why would you want to model our team after the eagles? They have no safteys, no LBs, and half of their DLine is garbage. ALL of their oline is garbage

Diehl isn't goign anywhere. When he moved to LT the line got SIGNIFICANTLY better
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

[quote user="Itlan"]KMac's contract being up, Jacobs getting cut or restructured, Canty and Rolle and hopefully Baas getting restructured, and dealing Osi would free up a ton of space.[/quote]

good luck getting superbowl champions to take less money
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

[quote user="zigwontdieNYG"]LETS GET PEYTON HILLIS[/quote]

Dude, your sig is hilarious!

Comment

Working...
                              X