QBs selected #1 overall - success rate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QBs selected #1 overall - success rate

ok, Cam Newtom, Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford are still very young, so we'll pass them by for now

Alex Smith, 1st good year

Eli, what can you say, JACKPOT!

Caron Palmer, pretty much garbage, a couple decent years

David Carr, ha a nice backup

Vick, is the 2nd time the charm or is he just too fragile for his style of play

Tim Couch, ah well should have never left the couch

Peyton, 1st ballot HOF, but will he win another or even play again?

Bledsoe, this is back as far as 1993 BTW, decent, but never lived up to the hype ... best thing he did for NE was to get hurt, so Tom Brady could take over

Jeff George, nothin but an arm

Aikman - 1989 - HOFer, so we'll end it here

point is that #1 picks have enormous pressure and overall they usually never live up to the hype esp. QBs, add to that the brutal fans and media in the New York market ... add to that the hatred of New York players/teams around the country ... add to that Archie refusing to let Eli play in San Diego ... has a player ever had more pressure to perform???

Re: QBs selected #1 overall - success rate

Peyton has a success rate, I don't care about how many rings he has.

It's pretty obvious how bad that team was without Peyton

Comment

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]Peyton has a success rate, I don't care about how many rings he has.

It's pretty obvious how bad that team was without Peyton[/quote]

oh very true, but the point is he had little to no pressure playing for Indy, he got the keys to the city the moment he arrived and he was the immediate hero ... he struggled early on as most young QBs do ... but never was there even a whisper of criticizism in Indy ... nationally a little, but not locally

Comment

Thank God for Ernie Accorsi, that's all I'll say.

Comment

[quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote]

and Well Mara because he was the one pushing for Coughlin

Ernie hated Coughlin

our recent success is absolutely a credit to the strong bonding team of Manning and Coughlin

Comment

[quote user="G-Man67"]ok, Cam Newtom, Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford are still very young, so we'll pass them by for now

Bledsoe, this is back as far as 1993 BTW, decent, but never lived up to the hype ... best thing he did for NE was to get hurt, so Tom Brady could take over

point is that #1 picks have enormous pressure and overall they usually never live up to the hype esp. QBs, add to that the brutal fans and media in the New York market ... add to that the hatred of New York players/teams around the country ... add to that Archie refusing to let Eli play in San Diego ... has a player ever had more pressure to perform???[/quote]

i did the work acouple years ago when fans where saying we needed to draft another QB in the 1st round.

From memory, over the last 5 years, in the first 2 rounds, only about 1/10th of the QBs drafted had starting jobs, or had starting jobs where people expected them to keep them.

guys are forgetting names like Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, JP Losman, Brian Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman.

ALL of them are 1st round QBs.

We literally don't know how fortunate we are to have drafted one that's worked out.

Easily, most of them end up as back-ups or has beens.

sigpic

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote] and Well Mara because he was the one pushing for Coughlin Ernie hated Coughlin our recent success is absolutely a credit to the strong bonding team of Manning and Coughlin[/quote]

+1

Ernie all but said in his book that he would have fired Coughlin if he hadn't retired.

sigpic

Comment

Lol @ calling palmer garbage.
                Difference in the successful ones then not is they were placed in a good position to succeed.

Comment

[quote user="tripleaamin9"]Lol @ calling palmer garbage. Difference in the successful ones then not is they were placed in a good position to succeed.[/quote]

Carson Palmer is probably the best and will continue to be the best QB out of USC. Calling him garbage is ridiculous. He was a great QB and possibly on his way before his knee injury. He just isnt the same after that. He was great at one point though.

Comment

A couple of names I didn't see there, for better or worse...

Jemarcus Russell

Vinny Testeverde

John Elway

That takes us back through the 80's

I thought David Klinger was one but I was incorrect. Cincy's had some rough ones.....

Comment

Bledsoe was good, and took his team to the SB. Carson Palmer was very good before the injury. Carr was put in a terrible spot - who knows how he would've turned out otherwise.
                      The draft isn't all together different than a lottery. How many teams like Indy, Pats have several yrs of success, and the same GM then has several yrs of drought? Bellicheck is somehow lauded for picking Brady 199, as if that was a genius move. I mean, if you thought you had one of the GOAT sitting out there, why would you risk letting him drop to 199? Who even knows if he plays if Bledsoe didn't get hurt? They stumbled on a diamond, though, and the credit goes to developing it once they realized what they had.

Comment

All you need to know is that Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were considered 1 and 1A in the 1998 draft.

One is on the all-time greatest list, the other has been out of football for years.

Also Tom Brady was pick #199.
                        8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

So what you're saying is Eli has a chance to be the best #1 overall QB in the history of the NFL?

OK!

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"]

[quote user="tripleaamin9"]Lol @ calling palmer garbage. Difference in the successful ones then not is they were placed in a good position to succeed.[/quote]

Carson Palmer is probably the best and will continue to be the best QB out of USC. Calling him garbage is ridiculous. He was a great QB and possibly on his way before his knee injury. He just isnt the same after that. He was great at one point though.

[/quote]

i'll tell ya, the Bengals were light years better without him

garbage, probably not the right word, i agree ... but i wasnt evaluating his college career and i was factoring in that he was the very 1st player selected his draft year, so the expectations far exceeded the output ... to me Carson Palmer in his NFL prime was not much better than Kerry Collins in his NFL prime

Palmer 86 rating, 25.5K yards, 167 TDs

Collins 74 rating, 40.9K yards, 208 TDs

now he has time to catch up on TDs, he will never equal the yards and if last season is anything to consider, then his rating will dip during the latter part of his career

the knee was a very tough break against him ... he was playing his best football when it happened, but that is ancient history now and it's not like he was ever a scrambler back there

Comment

[quote user="G-Man67"]ok, Cam Newtom, Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford are still very young, so we'll pass them by for now

point is that #1 picks have enormous pressure and overall they usually never live up to the hype esp. QBs, add to that the brutal fans and media in the New York market ... add to that the hatred of New York players/teams around the country ... add to that Archie refusing to let Eli play in San Diego ... has a player ever had more pressure to perform???[/quote]

Peyton had a long and awesome career, single handedly made his team perrennial contenders and won a super bowl. It makes no sense to say anything negative about him in the context of judging the success of #1 picks.

How many QBs who busted did not have legitimate red flags that were known about them AT THE TIME THEY WERE DRAFTED. Russell, Leaf, character issues...Couch, system QB....etc, etc....The only one I can see that didn't really was Carr, and you can argue that he failed because he went to a horrible situation in Houston.

Comment

Working...
                              X