Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Big ben and eli be in the Hall of fame if they were to retire today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Big ben and eli be in the Hall of fame if they were to retire today?

Ive been seeing a lot of posts where people are angry at kurt for saying eli and ben are not HOF players as of now.

This is a touchy subject. What is it that qualifies someone to be in the HOF? Is it stats? Wins? championships?

If rodgers wins the superbowl next year, should he be in the HOF is he retires?

What are your thoughts? I want to know your opinions.

Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Re: Should Big ben and eli be in the Hall of fame if they were to retire today?

No. /thread
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Comment

Not even nominated
      Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

Comment

oh my bad, i'll answer the other Question.

It's whoever they want to vote into the hall of fame, No true system

Dan Marino= got in because of stats

Joe namath= Got in because of Guarantee

Terry Bradshaw= Got in because of championships

Joe Montana= Stats and Champion ships

it's really just whoever they want in

"...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Comment

im just happy you made another thread about this

i am all for having as many threads on a single topic as possible....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

[quote user="Marvelousmik"]Ive been seeing a lot of posts where people are angry at kurt for saying eli and ben are not HOF players as of now.

This is a touchy subject. What is it that qualifies someone to be in the HOF?* Is it stats? Wins? championships?

If rodgers wins the superbowl next year, should he be in the HOF is he retires?

What are your thoughts? I want to know your opinions.

[/quote]Nope but that's because I tend to rate League MVP and offensive player of the year awards higher than winning Superbowls.

Before someone comes in and bashes me for saying "But the Superbowl is all that matters", the Superbowl isn't won by a single individual. It's a team effort.

Both of these guys will also be compared to their peers in the current era and while they are very good, the stats just don't match up AT THIS POINT.

With that said, I do think Eli will get into the HoF as long as he plays consistent from now on.

Big Ben will probably need another Superbowl victory.

Comment

HOF is not as easy to get into as people think it is. look at parcells. (great injustice btw)

going to have to see at least one league MVP and a few more seasons as a top passer. (both)

Comment

If Eli Manning and Ben Rothlisberger retired today, they should by all accounts go to the HoF.

Comment

I think this is the trillionth thread on this topic.

Comment

[quote user="buffyblue"]If Eli Manning and Ben Rothlisberger retired today, they should by all accounts go to the HoF.[/quote]

yeah lets put rodgers in and anyone named matt that throws 40td passes and 5000 yards also.

HOF is not just given automatically.

Comment

60% regular season stats
                      20% playoff stats
                      20% championships

Comment

I would say no...But then again, most fans say Simms should be in, so how do you justify pulling for Simms and not Eli? Sure Simms has more total yds after a 14 year career, but not much more and Eli hasn't played 14 years yet lol. He's on pace to absolutely obliterate Simms stats by leaps and bounds if you figure he plays another 7 years or so.

Yards...
                        Eli-27,579 (needs 5,884yds to break...2 Years away I'd say is a safe bet barring injury)
                        Simms-33,462

TD's...INT's
                        Eli-185...129 (only need 15 TD's to beat him out..I'd say most likely next year)
                        Simms-199...157

Not gonna bother with QB rating (because I don't understand it anyways) but Eli is ahead...

***BUT*** Simms ISN'T in the HOF sooooo how can we say Eli should be "now"?

He will be when he's done, until then relax folks and enjoy the ride. As far as Ben goes...I don't know....But then again I don't care either. [:P]

Comment

So much of it is touch-feely and there is inconsistent logic.

Troy Aikman has stats as bad as Eli and is in the Hall. Joe Namath had a terrible career but is in the Hall.

IMO multiple championships seems to catch most of the cases. Only one I can think of in the SB era that isn't is Jim Plunkett.

The fact is that Eli is a 2x Super Bowl winner. IMO, the two marches through the playoffs, the two come from behind wins, the two road paths to get there, and twice beating the dominant team of this era, should be enough. Then throw in that he is breaking NYG records, a franchise that's been around for almost 90 years.

The case for Eli is pretty strong. Now can we wait for his retirement announcement to care about this?
                          8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

I'm going to write this out as best I can so I can just copy and past this from now on lol.

The main problem with this question is their is no perimeters to "what is a HOF player?". It's not stats or Namath wouldn't be in. It's not championships or Marino wouldn't be in. What it boils down to really is a popularity contest based on players stories. In other words if Eli died today, there is a good chance he would get in, if he retired he wouldn't. That simple. It's the difference between "What would of been.", compared to "Gave up to early." So long as Eli doesn't revert to his former numbers he is in the HOF when he retires, if he does revert he will have a harder argument to make.

So basically you can invent any standards you want and argue for them. I think Warner's standards are to damn high, and a lot of HOF's wouldn't be in there now if we followed his guidelines.

I believe in Eli though, and personally think he will be in.

Comment

[quote user="Harooni"]HOF is not as easy to get into as people think it is. look at parcells. (great injustice btw)
                              [/quote]

Most agree this unthinkable snub is "payback" from the butthurt sports reporters who vote on the matter. Parcells disdained most of them and treated them like tools.
                              8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Working...
                              X